Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Sunday. 10/17)

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.  

Today has been a very cool day - 53 degrees, that's about 25 degrees cooler than a couple days ago.  I am not complaining, I do love this time of year but I know what is coming next.

Not much happening around here today, yesterday we has two tornados come thru this area.  It was a couple miles north of us, but we were surprised by this at 6:30 in the morning.  There was a lot of tree damage, and one building was demolished but no one was killed or injured.  

I did a little decluttering today, I got rid of a group of 10 candle crystal candle holders.  They were very nice, but, all I did was wash, dry and put them back in the curio cabinet.  I am so used to them that I don't even "see" them anymore.  So it was a tough decision because them were my grandmothers but, I don't enjoy them anymore.  

We did get all the carpets cleaned in our downstairs this weekend, so I do feel like I accomplished this weekend.  I also got all the clothes off the line and ironed and put away.

Hope everyone has a good evening, and if you have time, stop in.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Sunday. 10/17)

[ Edited ]

Susan, it looks like we are doing the same thing this weekend.  I shampooed the carpet on the main floor a few months ago and the carpet in our basement last month.   I washed the windows on the main floor last week, so I did the patio door and windows in the basement this morning.  My dh does the vacuuming on Saturday's, so it's one thing I don't have to do except I vacuumed in my laundry this morning and the vacuum cleaner died just as I got done.  It's at least 7 years old and a canister one, so I will be looking for another one.    I have a few things that were my Mom's & Grandma's that were made by my Grandfather (from the UK) that I am not sure if I ever want to get rid of.  He made beautiful wooden things for my Mom & I have them displayed here & there.  He actually made them here when they were staying with my family for 6 months at a time.

I have my yearly checkup with my neurologist at the UW Clinic tomorrow morning and then I hope to do a bit of shopping & have lunch out. I have a wonderful Dr. that specializes in what I have, so that helps a lot.  

On Tuesday, we are going on a back roads day trip about 3 1/2 hours N. of us.  Hopefully the leaves are still on the trees.   I hope to buy a few pumpkins/scare crow from a road side stand.

On Wednesday we have guests coming in the afternoon and staying overnight.  They are leaving on Thursday morning.

It will be a rest up day on Thursday and then possibly a day trip on either Friday or Saturday.  This is also my favorite time of the year and I am trying to make the most of it.

It's a beautiful 60's day then 70's for a couple of days.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Susan. Glad the tornadoes didn't damage your house or cause any injuries or deaths.  Also glad the weather suits you better.  It started off cool this morning, then warmed up and was sunny, then a bit cooler and windy, and now the sun is out.  Guess it just can't make up it's mind.

I know it wasn't easy, but you did the right thing getting rid of those candle holders.  I gave away a bunch of family mementos when I moved to Arizona.  Fortunately, DD was interested in quite a few including some china that my Mom's Mother painted.  She died when my Mom was only three years old, so that made them even more special.  I did keep some, and try to remember to look at them every so often.  If/when I move, I will probably give away most of them.  

Good work with the cleaning. 

Hi Glenda.  Hope your appointment and shopping go well tomorrow, and you have a nice trip.  Glad you finished the vacuuming before it gave out.  How nice to see the leaves when they are turning.  I thought of you when I went to the gym today since in another part of the recreation center there was a large group of people watching the Green Bay Packer's game.  They rent the space and have popcorn, etc. 

Church was good today, but there were some pretty big wind gusts in the middle of the service which was held outdoors under a covered patio.  The "cover" is a bunch of "sails" which really went to town.

I have ironing and cleaning to do, plus a little cooking.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers. Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, my dh watched the Green Bay Packer's, but at half time, we went into the hot tub.  It's been windy here for a couple of days, but nothing is blowing around.  

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Sounds like many of us are dealing with wind.  It was cool, damp and windy yesterday and just cool and windy today.  Hey, I wanted fall and I've got it now.  I did order a couple of things yesterday from JCP - couldn't pass up the 50% off sale.

I ordered a beanie and infinity scarf if this color (western rose)

I originally wanted to buy the set in a color called cherry mahogany

I thought the cherry mahogany would go with my olive parka and then I thought about my gray plaid old bucket coat from Eddie Bauer and figured I should get a color that would go okay with olive and gray which is why I settled on the rose color.

I picked up this blouse.  I liked the colors and had been thinking about the blouse for a while.  I hesitated ordering it because I thought the area around the wrist was elastic.  Elastic annoys me and when I looked closer and saw it was buttoned closed I ordered it.

I bought 2 more pair of these

I usually wear a medium which is a boot roomier on me and not as close fitting on the legs like shown on the model.  I specifically sized up to a large because I like to sleep in these like jammies and I like slouchy pajama pants, lol

I ordered this purse in the coral color.  I'm showing the front of the purse in white because they don't have a photo of the front of the purse in coral.

Here's the back of the purse in the coral color.  Actually I wouldn't even call it coral, it's more brick reddish to me.

St. John's Bay Bristol Satchel

St. John's Bay Bristol Satchel

Oh I did order 2 pair of easy spirit traveltime clogs a week or so ago.  I thought I had a spair in the closet because I remembered seeing an easy spirit box.  It's getting cooler and I literally wore out the spring step comfort sandals and I thought oooh, time to get into a new pair of clogs.  

Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and found these slides.

Don't get me wrong, they are lightweight and comfy, just not appropriate for puttering in and out of the house in 45 degree weather.   I am wearing them now with white athletic socks on my feet and I smile and remember all of the old polish men from the neighborhood when I was a kid who wore black socks with sandals.  Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  I have been looking for a hat for Syd...I can knit that pattern in the colors she wants..red and white.,

I do love the color yiu chose.🍁

Honored Contributor

Thanks Barbara @sydsgma1   Neither item was that expensive (with sales and the coupon) but I did tell myself, Bernie, your retired now and you don't need upteem hats and scarves to match different colored coats.  Pick one that is neutral and works with most if not all of your coats Woman Happy

I love the color of the blouse Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise