Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics - One Day At A Time (Monday, May 28th)

Happy Memorial Day everyone!!  Thank you to those who served and those who lost their lives defending our country.

Well no use for the TSV for me.  If you buy one today I hope you enjoy it.  We are going to a picnic at my SIL today.  She has decided to do the Memorial Day holiday.  We have a Labor Day picnic and my sister has the Fourth of July Picnic.  I don't know how this all got started, but it did.  Now there is no going back.

Linda - Hope you enjoyed your visit.  I know your DH will be happy to see you.

Jean - Good job on the yard work, it is a pain but looks great when you get done.

Other than the picnic I do have to refill the humming bird feeders tonight.  Now that the flowers are in bloom, I don't see them as often as I did.  Oh well, I will keep the food out just in case.

What is everyone doing today??  Hope everyone has a Safe and Happy Memorial Day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics - One Day At A Time (Monday, May 28th)

Hello ladies,

http://lynnestjames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/memorialday-2015.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. I also have no use of the DynaTrap. I have the small one, and it does work. 

meallen--Thank you for the great graphic that gives further emphasis to Susan's words about the meanig of this Memorial Day holiday.

I just returned from the family's graves about 20 miles away. It is a sad time but also a time full of memories.The families used to get together for  a picnic, etc. about this time. At this time, however, only the descendents are left and are scattered far distances.  After resting, I'll finish bagging the clippings.

Linda made a comment about how much height I had lost. This was a gradual process beginning with what was my height in my teens, which was not official by a doctor to 50+ years later, but it escalated after menopause.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Image result for military memorial day cartoons

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Good Morning Susan @PAlady   I've no interest in the TSV either.  It's heading towards 93 degrees in my area of the country, way too hot too soon for me Woman Happy  Have fun at your SIL's.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!  Susan - thanks for getting us started today.  Thank you for wishing us a good Memorial Day.  Bernie - that picture of Presto's egg is so cute!  Hope she's remaining healthy.  The story of your height being measured by your sister with a ruler cracked me up.  Hopefully you're not shrinking as much as your doctor thinks you are.  Good for you weeding out the tops you no longer need to wear.  Jean - you've made a lot of progress on trimming in the yard.  I have a couple of friends who incorporate some silk flowers amongst their real flowers and it can look nice.  Give it a try if you want to, and give Midnight a cuddle for me.  Love my kitty cats!  Oh, and I also own the Susan Graver top A225581.  I have it in the Mosaic print which looks great with black pants, and the Paisley and Watercolor prints which look good with brown pants.  I also bought them for less than $40 and they look good as new.  I wish Susan would bring in more prints like the Paisley one, which is subtle, not loud.  I also agree that Susan's prices sure have gone up!   twinny - yes, we have crab grass too.  I think that made up the majority of weeds I pulled in the front flower bed.  I'm surprised that nobody fights that devil Bermuda grass, but I do think that it is used mostly in warm climates.  Maybe it dies during the winter in colder zones?  Anyway, people sometimes plant it on purpose to be a tough lawn, but everywhere else it pops up as an invasive weed.  When it comes to a veggie garden, tomatoes are all I grow too.  Everything else is too much work and too much water for not much reward, though I did try radishes this year and have been slicing them up in salads for a change.  We do grow pomegranates, citrus, and grapes, but those are permanent.   Sydsgma - congrats to you also, for making progress in purging clothes!  Marijane - loved your comment yesterday that we all seem to be in the same clothes boat - as long as the boat doesn't sink.  Made me chuckle for sure.  

Yesterday I went to church in the morning, then went grocery shopping.  At 1:00 in the afternoon my DH and I picked up my mother, went by the store and bought some flowers, then went to the cemetery to leave flowers at my father's grave, and my great aunt's.  Our cemeteries have strict regulations about "decorating" graves.  Only fresh flowers are allowed, though we have a volunteer group that gets to place flags on the graves of all veterans, which is good  It was nice to see the flag at my father's grave. We spent too much time looking for another grave of a close family friend, but finally had to give up.  By the time we got my mother back home and settled in, it had been a rather long day.

I'm taking my time getting active today.  In a few minutes I am going to go outside and tackle a small area in the yard where pruning and weeding needs to be done.  Thankfully it's a small area, thus a small job.  Oh, and I do feel sorry for the gophers, ground squirrels, and rabbits we have to dispatch at times.  There are just way, way too many of them.  Later I plan on sewing a simple cotton top - the kind that I wear around the house for 6 months out of the year.  I made up a pattern based on a peasant top from Mexico, and have been using the pattern ever since.  Super easy to sew, and the tops just get more comfy to wear as they get older.  And while I sew I will probably be listening to Dave Ramsey podcasts on my computer.  I tune him in or out depending on if the caller's story is interesting or not, lol.

May you all have a wonderful Memorial Day - and waves to our regular and new posters' alike!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--I love that SG top we both have. Perhaps the popularity of it motivated the Q to raise the price again and again.  I checked "As Is" for SG items to see if that top was in there. I have bought a few things from there and all except one looked fine. The one that didn't had a mis-stitch on the waistband but since I wear tops over it, I kept it because of the savings.

Most of the cemeteries here permit silk flower arrangements but require them to be removed after two weeks in order for the cemetery to be well- maintained. The one I went to doesn't have that requirement as it is in the country. I can remember as a kid, my mother gathering the peonies and taking them to the graves. 

I have used silk flowers around the house before and they have worked well. I picked up some more today and did a pot, placed a goose figurine I've had for years, and a solar light thing on the corner where I had a tree removed. I also washed the car. 

I will work the afternoon tomorrow which I had not planned to do but it will be a break from what I'm doing now. The lawn guy is here so over half of tomorrow afternoon's pay will go to him. It comes in and it goes out.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Checking in to say hi to all of you.

On Saturday, my brother came up & went to 3 cemeteries with us.  I only put flowers on my mom & dad's grave.  His mom likes to do his dad's grave by herself, but we did pay our respects.   Bless her heart, she is 92 & doing well.  Then we went to the grave of my great grandfather whom served in the Civil War.  His wife is in a different cemetery.  Why?  I don't know.  He had 6-7 children by 2 wives.  Nobody talked much about this situation.  Thank goodness they are all within 20 miles of our home.

Yesterday we went to church & had a quiet afternoon before going to our pastor's home for a cookout.  Thank goodness for lots of shade tree's.

We got up early this morning and I started to wash the kitchen, dining room & my bedroom window before it got too hot.  Then my DH vacuumed the basement while I dusted.  Then we went to Shopko at 11:00 to return the pillow & cabana that I bought last week . The pillow is too heavy for me to turn over at night & the Cabana is a 2-3 man job.  Which I am neither.  I was hoping that it just popped up. No, it was like setting up a BIG TENT and we don't camp.

Lunch was at Taco Bell & supper is  🐔🐔🐔from our grocery store deli.

We hope to plant the 6 tomato plants after supper when It will hopefully cool off.  It is horribly hot.  95° yesterday and today.  Upper 80's for a few days after that.

it isn't humid really, but just HOT.  I am in the house by early afternoon all ready.  We are about 20° above normal.  I am hoping for 70's by the weekend.  The A/C is on, but after a while it doesn't even feel good.  I miss not being to have open windows at night. 

Things could be worse.  At least we don't have  volcanoes or hurricanes.

My niece and her family will be staying here tomorrow night & Saturday & Sunday night's. They are going to the Dell's  on Wednesday & Thursday & the House on the Rock on Friday.  They are fun & on Sunday we are all going to one of my nephew's graduation party.  One of his older brother's graduated from college, so I am also treating him.  He was at a 4 year college and worked hard to get his BA degree in Business & Accounting.  He will be taking his CPA test this summer & then searching for a job 

I  quit procrastinating this afternoon & altered 2 QF & 1 D & CO. top.  I bought them last September at the outlet store in Lancaster, PA.  I got 3 tops for $33.00. They are pale yellow, pale green and red.  They all have a little bling & will work nice with my many pairs of white capris & a couple of pairs of white shorts.  I don't get messed up & they are cooler for me in the heat of summer.  

I am doing nothing the rest of the day.

Hugs to all of you.  

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Visiting cemeteries is rarely a joyful event but it is one of paying respect. Your comment about the husband and wife being buried in separate cemeteries reminded me of my aunt. She was a widow in her early 80s but a widower who had been a family friend began paying frequent visits. After a period of time, she told him that it didn't look respectful for him to be hanging around so much. They got maried. When he died, he was buried with his first wife and when she died, she was buried with her first husband.

I'm sorry the cabana didn't work out, but you will enjoy those tops you bought at a great price. Several years ago, I stopped at that outlet store in Lancaster but left empty handed as I must have hit it on a bad day. I've been to the Dells. Very lovely!!

The WEN gallons are back but there is no way I would have that large of a container in my bathroom. My Lug Puddle Jumper TSV is being slow to ship.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ShI opaholics - One Day At A Time (Monday, May 28th)

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Susan. 

Happy Memorial Day everyone!  When I was growing up, we always went from cemetery to cemetery with fresh flowers, but I remember Arlington Cemetery did have some rules about flowers (just don't remember what they were).  I know they are very strict about the columbarium where my parents ashes are.  It is sort of a sad day for me since my brother passed away seven years ago today, and I am remembering those who have passed.  But, it is good to remember and pay tribute to those who lost their lives in service and their loved ones.

I had a headache yesterday evening and this morning, plus I had trouble adjusting to this time zone (got up very early), but I'm better now.  And, I'm happy to say that I took some time and found nine pieces of clothing to donate (along with two other 'possibles").  I know that pales in comparison to how much many of you have been de-cluttering, but one day at a time applies.

No TSV for me either.  I definitely would like to get rid of the bugs in the house, but the TSV seems like a bit of an overkill for that purpose.  

It sure it hot where several of you live.  It is 95 degrees here (should be the high for the day), but that is pretty normal here.

DH was a little more awake today, but did not eat too much of his lunch.  Oh well.....  I think he is happy to have me back, and I'm very happy to be able to visit with him.

Thanks for the nice graphics, meallan and Bernie.

Waves to Jean, Bernie, Charlene, twinny, and all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda