Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics One Day At A Time ( Friday, Nov. 22nd)

Good moring ladies, hope all is well.

It is a dreary moring here today, guess I need to remember in a month or so this will be a heat wave.  

Haven't written in a while, but I have been reading everyday.  Not much exciting happening around here.  I had my bathroom remodeled and it is taking time.  The guy who does our wall papering had a stroke so he is back working, but a little behind.  So we are waiting our turn.  Today they are putting in my shower doors, so I am close to being done.

It sound like everyone is doing well except for a few aches and pains at times.  My DH's back is still bad.  Actually it is a muscle that goes across you b**t that is strained and he can not find any relief.  He had a CT scan and a bone scan, one doctor tnough he may have a fractured pelvis.  Those tests came out good as far a we know.  The doctor is to call us hopefully today.  So now we will have to go another route for the pain.  Wish us luck.

Well need to get clothes out of the dryer.  What is everyone doing today???

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day At A Time ( Friday, Nov. 22nd)

Hi Susan @PAlady   Thanks for starting the thread today.  A bathroom remodel is exciting stuff.  I feel bad for your husband because under normal circumstances we never think about that bu** muscle and how it interacts with all the other muscles.  It affects sitting, sleeping, walking - the entire spectrum of moving around.

I think the chrome shower head will be delivered to home depot today.  I received an email yesterday that it had been shipped to the store.  I'm sure customer service will check this one to make sure it's not another oil rubbed bronze fixture, lol.  I'll check it too before I leave the store.

I have the functioning tub so it's not like I can't clean myself or wash my hair.  It's just that I removed the broken shower head and it looks funky seeing just a pipe sticking out of the wall.

It was in the low 50's here yesterday and I thought about putting up the outside Christmas lights around my front porch.  Once is started raining I changed my mind Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's raining here today and on the forecast for tomorrow. It's still cool so that's good. I'm just hoping that the rain is intermittent so there isn't any flooding or problems with the drains. 

I picked up my new glasses yesterday with the new prescription. This is the first time I've had a "rough" adjustment. I didn't bother with contacs because I need to have catarac surgery early next year. My eyeglasses were so old and scratched  that I needed a new pair just to see for the interim. I'm hoping that it's just a rough adjustment period and not an incorrect prescription. I guess time will tell.

Today I have got to get to the grocery store. I have to get all the holiday food plus the regular shopping so I'm expecting to be in there for a long time, 

I decided that I'm not starting on the Christmas decorations until after the charity furniture pick up. The rain complicates it a bit but I think I might have enough plastic tablecloths to keep everything fairly dry. Crossing my fingers on that idea.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening. 

Respected Contributor

@PAlady   Hello, and thanks for starting the thread today.  I'm kind of sporadic posting here, but I do like to read what you ladies are doing.  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Like you, I woke up to clouds, cold and wind today in NE Ohio, but at least there isn't any snow, or any predicted through Thanksgiving.

I live in a condo with the patio and garage behind my back door.  I'm in the middle of a long building of 12 condos.  A year ago, they decided to repave my street (and others), which was fine, if not a little inconvenient with not being able to get to my garage for about a week, and right after having retina re-attachment surgery (temporarily blind in left eye).

Well, they dug out the street before they paved, but they didn't dig out my parking space next to my garage.  When they were done, even with one eye, I could see the parking space was now 2 inches higher than my patio sidewalk.  You can imagine the problems this caused last winter with the snow melting and the hard rains.  The water backed up into my garage and patio and I had to put a plank of wood over the 2" gap so I could step over the water and ice.

Of course, I complained right away and the condo manager said they would just make me a new sidewalk that would flush with the parking space.  Nothing happened all summer; then I came home on Monday to find a sign on my gate that they were coming on Tuesday to do it!  Now it's mid-November already.  It's cold and wet and I would have to walk all the way around my building to the front door, since there's no way to avoid stepping on the sidewalk in the back.

I came home Tuesday night to a mudhole.  It wasn't raining, so I just tramped through it to get in the back door.  When I left for work on Wednesday, they had already arrived with a gang of guys and trucks!  The guy said I could walk on it in a day or so, which surprised me.  I pictured leaving my footprints on it.  It was finished when I got home Wednesday, and I started walking on it yesterday with no problems.  I'm waiting to see what happens with the wet weather coming, but I'm pleasantly surprised with what they did.  I do pay pretty hefty monthly association dues for this! 

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde  I had a similar experience, kind of Woman Wink

In 2015, my city decided to replace the street on my block.  When I write replace, I am not kidding - they took all of the street out until all you could see was sand.

Because I knew this was coming and it would impact my ability to access my driveway (at some point) I decided to take my Canon powershot outside and capture some "before" photographs of the driveway approach (between the sidewalk and the street). 

I took photographs from every direction (N, S, E, W).  I lay down on the sidewalk and got photographs of exactly how the driveway met the street. 

I don't know, I just had a feeling that somehow this was gonna go sideways.

They removed the curbs too so the process was to take a saw and cut along the grass and edge of everyone's driveway.  They tended to start work early in the morning so I would get a few pictures of them working and then I would have to head off to work.

I caught pictures of them using the excavator in front of my house to remove the street along the edge of my driveway.  When I came home that evening, I looked at the edge of my driveway and it was not a clean edge - it was jagged and funky looking.

At this point it's important to remember that the city will write up a citation if the owner's driveway is broken up near the street (or anywhere else for that matter). 

The next morning before I went to work I chased the guy who was leading the crew and said, dude, look at what you did to my driveway.  Are you gonna come back and clean the edge?

They did not and when the poured the street the edge of my driveway had been sloppily filled with random concrete to make up for the jagged edge.

I photographed the heck outta that and even lay in the street to get photos of the difference in height between the street and my driveway which had never been there before.  I called the City and said, okay we got a problem, your street crew jacked up my driveway.  

The guy at the City said that they took video of the before and after and would need to review it.  That's when I said I would be glad to get on the City Council's meeting agenda with 100 photographs and we could compare their video to my photographs.  I was promised a new driveway approach that didn't happen in 2015.

Spring 2016 - I followed up with the City again.  They dragged their feet until August and I finally got my new driveway approach.  I documented that process too.  

Honored Contributor

@Fressa   Is a rough adjustment an estimate?  I hope the prescription is close to what you need so you don't get any eye strain.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama   Sounds like you had a fun experience too.  I think we reach a point in life where we just know when something is going to go wrong.  You were a smart lady to take all those pictures.

The condo management guy, Mike, had been at my condo a couple months back and reiterated that he was going to fix my sidewalk, but had to get the cement guy down there.  (I guess the cement business has been busy this year.)  I truly had given up on them doing anything this year, and was resigned to another winter and spring of ice and water backups.

After all my anticipation, it wasn't bad at all, and those guys actually were fun.  When I asked the ring leader about how long till I couldn't walk on it, I also moaned about having to walk all around my building to get from my detached garage to the front door.  He quite dryly said, "Bad purchase," which totally cracked me up!  I said, where were you when I bought the place 28 years ago!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Nice to see you posting, Susan.  Hope your husband feels better soon.  Back pain is awful.  Glad your bathroom remodel is almost finished.

You and Bernie certainly had some stories about road/driveway work being done, Laura.  Hope all continues to go well.  Sounds like persistence paid off for both of you. 

Good luck with your showerhead, Bernie.  It would be awful if they messed up the order twice.  It is funny when you write about the low 50's being relatively warm.  Yesterday, our highs were in the low 50's and it rained off and on.  I felt very chilled when I went out in the afternoon, and wore my fleece jacket on my walk this morning.  No rain today, which is fine with me.  I think it should make it up to the low 60's today.

Hope your glasses work out Laura.  I am going to the eye doctor this afternoon, and I'm certainly not looking forward to it.  Some of the tests give me fits, and I am worried she will tell me that I need the cataract surgery soon.  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.  

My really good news is that my water bottle/phone bag is found!  I went to the lost and found where my OLLI classes are held, and there it was.  It was not there on Wednesday when I lost it.  What a wonderful relief.  Obviously, it had been out in the rain, but someone turned it in, and everything seems to be untouched.  Whew!  I found that I had old stuff in there, so I cleaned it out.  I will probably stick with my new one since the tried and true was a bit old and faded.  

I had exercise classes this morning (aerobics and chair yoga), and I am headed to the grocery store soon.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda