Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics One Day At A Time Friday, December 18

Good Morning, Ladies!  It is bright and sunny out, and slightly warmer this morning.  It was 32 or so when I got up.  The good news (for me) is that it should be considerably warmer today and tomorrow -- may even make it into the 70's.  Hope the weather in your area suits you.

My caregivers group was great yesterday -- at least the sharing part.  Some of the news was not good at all, but definitely interesting and a nice group of ladies.  One lady (who I know slightly outside the group) is moving her 91 year old husband into a different facility today.  He had been in an expensive nursing facility after having a stroke, I think.  She was not at all pleased with the that facility, and she was searching around for a better place and found one.  This happened very quickly, and I think her head was spinning, but I think she was happy to find a better place for her husband.  Meanwhile, another lady was talking about her experiences with a different facility, not great.  And, several of the ladies have visited and considered the local places.  Some are more or less expensive, but higher prices don't always mean better care.  I asked about the laws on bed rails, etc., and like in Wisconsin and elsewhere, they are not allowed in Arizona.  Apparently, they put some sort of mat beside the bed so if your loved one falls out of bed, they land on the mat.  Not sure that is a great idea, but.....

After the caregivers meeting, I came home and picked up DH so we could go to the gym.  I did most of my exercises while he sat in a chair, and then I put him on "his" machined (it is called NuStep) for 15 minutes.  He did quite well.  Then we went to the grocery store, and they were out of the asparagus on sale, but had several other things I wanted.  Got to the car and found she charged me for two breads rather than one, so I went back and got a refund.  I felt a bit "pushy", but why should I throw away money?

DH has physical therapy this morning, and I'm sure I'll take a walk later.  No other big plans.

So sorry to hear about your Mom, twinny.  I do hope she is able to see your son and DIL.  Extra hugs and prayers being sent your way.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, Bernie, snicks, spix, Susan, Marijane, Rosa, Charlene, LindaR, Karen, Barbara. pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope many of you will have a chance to check in to our thread, and everyone has a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda 

Valued Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day At A Time Friday, December 18

Good  morning!

Our boss is getting us lunch from O'Charleys today.  A nice surprise!

Kind of quiet here today.  Hopefully it will be that way through the Holidays, no stress for us.(for a change)

Have a quiet weekend planned, maybe dinner with friends on Saturday.  I just need to do a little light cleaning. 

I am wearing my new poncho, love it .  Warm and soft. I am lucky that I work with nice women, hope that continues.

I hope that everyone is well.

Respected Contributor

Rosa: what a lovely gift. So nice to work with people you enjoy

Linda: oh yes going back mistakes happen. I was at the PO one day. I wasn't charged for the stamps. I went back to stand in line again to make things right.

Twinny; hugs to you
Honored Contributor

Hi to everyone, thanks LL for starting the thread. So glad the caregivers group is helpful to you. Some places are not as good as others, that's for sure. When my mom was in a nursing home, I went every day, just to make sure they knew I was watching her care daily, of course I also wanted to see her as much as possible as I knew she did not have so much time left for me to spend with her. Glad that DH could do 'his' machine at the gym, hope PT goes well today.

Rosa, enjoy that lunch, so nice to have employers who do nice things for you on occassion. Your poncho sounds really nice, your co-worker must have good taste also. Enjoy your weekend. Sounds nice.

kittyfan, I'll bet the clerk at the PO was happy you came back. That was nice of you, and of course, the right thing to do.

I swear this road crew starts at a different time every day, today it was almost 10:30 before they showed up. They knocked off at 4pm yesterday...maybe it has something to do with the weather, it was below freezing this morning.

I just finished my cookie baking, made a batch each of Ginger cookies, Mexican Wedding cookies, Snickerdoodles, and Chocolate Chip. Glad to be done with it, lol. Still have many other things to do, but this was a good start for the day. Better get back at it as I have taken a long enough break. Have a nice day everyone. I will read posts later on. Waves......

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hello all and thanks for starting the thread LindaL.

I was a bit disappointed with today's bloodwork appointment.  I drank 2 litres of water before jumping in the car and heading over to the doctor's office (maybe 15 mins away).

The first nurse/medical assistant put the rubber band thing on my right arm, thought she felt a vein, the moved to my left arm when the right arm vein decided to hide somewhere. She finally called for another nurse/medical assistant who did the same thing and said, there is nothing there.

I said, okay, there has to be something there or my arms would go cold and fall off, lol.

She finally went for the one vein in my forearm with the tiny butterfly needle thing.  She got three tubes out of me, so fingers crossed my levels come out okay.

There has to be something I can do to make this easier for medical people.  I'm off to google - maybe I need arm exercises or something. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies.....Ouch Bernie ..I hate when that happens....so far I have been lucky ..I usually drink a pile of water before I go too .

Snicks that sounds like a good assortment of cookies  you made..usually I only make lemon meringue  pies and buy the rest..I am not a baker I do occasionally make chocolate chip cookies but find myself eating most...my DH is not a sweet eater .  Sometimes when I see a work crew working when I drive by there are only a few working the rest are hanging around not even trying to look busy!  I hope that mess is cleaned up by Christmas.  I think if they dug up your front yard they should leave it at least somewhat like it looked  before .

Sounds like your DH had a nice day yesterday LindL and you received some useful info from the caregivers meetings. you went too.   My mom was in a nursing home for several yrs before she passed away..I was living up in ME then and we came down just about every weekend....one of my sisters live here in Ct where she was and went every day just to make sure that things were being done that was supposed to.

Twinny I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.    I hope your DS and his wife will be able to spend some time with your mom.  Our weather has been crazy....we have had rain all week except for Wednesday....it is raw and wet out again today.

Rosa that poncho sounds very pretty....did your co worker make it?  Hope your work continues to stay slow right thru next week....your holiday plans sound great.

Not too much here...the supermarket wasn't bad this morning.....I will be making another trip probably Monday to get my veggies.....and then I will be all set....hopefully.   Our tree is up....lights on....and mostly decorated......still have the gifts to wrap and/or gift bag.  I am still waiting for a few more items to be delivered.

Pizza for supper tonight.    hAve a nice day everyone....Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

LINDA L, I am glad that your caretakers meeting yesterday was a good one.  I hope that your DH's PT goes well today.  I saw my rheumatologist today & he gave me some stretching exercises for my sore neck & said it is hard work pushing a wheelchair which I have been doing for about 8 weeks now.  MARIJANE,  I was so glad to get the tree up & the lights on also.  ROSA, It sounds like you work with a nice group of ladies.  How fun to get a pretty poncho this time of year.  LINDA R, We got snow showers today so it was much fun going out into the hot tub.  Such lovely big flakes but they will be gone by tomorrow.  SNICKS, Sounds like you have your work cut out for you when thais all over with.  How nice to bake such a lovely assortment of cookies.  BIRD MAMA, OUCH!  I   always used to ask for the butterfly needles too.  I had trouble with the nurse using my port for lab work today.  They asked me to do all kinds of different movements & finally the thing took off.  I really appreciate your kind words & prayers at this sad time.  I just talked to mom's Hospice nurse & she said that mom can no longer to take her pills so they are crushing them.  We are going to see her soon as they said she is still pretty much nonresponsive to them.  She is in a very nice facility & well taken care of so that is a comfort to us at this time.  I am just tired both mentally & physically  I never thought that this would be so draining on me but it is.  Hugs to all of you.

Valued Contributor

Genny the poncho is lovely, but she did not make it.  She bought it at Catos.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It sounds as if your caregivers' group might be beneficial as you share concerns and solutions. It is good that you and DH could go to the gym and that he did well on his equipment.

Rosa--I am glad that you are enjoying your poncho as well as the great lunch provided by the boss. Enjoy your planned weekend.

LindaR--You are definitely an honest person; I would have done the same despite having to stand in line a long time.

Snicks--Your cookies sound great. The work crew was probably waiting for the temps to warm up some.

Bernie--I think some techs are better at finding veins than others. I really have good veins, and most rarely have a problem. The last time, however, the tech was not as "gifted" as the others.

Marijane--It sounds as if your preparation list is almost completed. Hopefully, you will have a couple of days to relax before the big day. Pizza for dinner sounds good.

Twinny--Our thoughts and prayers continue during this challenging time. It is physically exhausting but sometimes the emotional aspects of caring for a close loved one can be even more tiring.

I worked today during which time I started developing sniffles and a sore throat. Tomorrow, I'll be going to the city. My hair is overdue for a cut and color enhancement. I don't do much to prepare goodies for the holidays. I usually buy something as it is just me.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Twinny:  Oh it is exhausting--So glad that she is in caring hands---hugs to you dear lady.

About ten years ago I was on wafarin--the blood thinner with routine blood draws.  One gal at the lab was wonderful the other not very good.  My veins had finally developed so many issues the final draws were from my hand---I do understand!.  Fortunately they have been thinners that don't require the dreaded blood draws weekly. 

Saw a reoirt ib TV about tanning beds---oh so many dangers lurking out there.  I worked with a gal that would tan at lunch.  SHe was very fair skinned.  Wouldn't be suprised to hear she has issues at some point. 

I need a hair cut but the salon I went to closed---I don't know where my gal went and I need to search for someone new!