Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics - One Day At A Time (Friday 22nd)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Yesterday we got the pool opened and DH decided we need a new heater for it.  It is tired of working his magic to get it started.  It is a gas heater and the new ones are electric, so this should be fun.

Yesterday it was sunny and fairly warm, of course today we are paying for that, we have had rain all morning.  Guess I should not complain, we made out very lucky considering what Michigan and Ohio have recieved.  I don't think this summer is ever going to come.

Not much happening here today, just washing clothes and finding thing to donate.   I really need to get started on that again. 

Have a good morning everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics - One Day At A Time (Friday 22nd)

Hi Everyone!

It's raining today---forecast for the entire day and night. I swear it's because I remembered to water all of the gardens. LOL  I have a few iris blooming today so I was thrilled. I'm always amazed when I can get something to bloom. 

I am rethinking my "things to do list" for today. I was going to try to accomplish a few errands but am thininking with the holiday weekend there will be a line no matter where I go. I may just do chores around the house and wait for the errands next week.

My husband did get up in the attic late afternoon yesterday and carried down the empty computer boxes, moving boxes, etc. that were up there. We filled up the recycle bin with a stack waiting for next week. There's so much duct work up with our a/c and hepa systems that I wanted to make some room for them to turn around. I didn't realize that the boys had stored so much "stuff" there. It feels good to have some air circulation up there.

Stay safe & comfy. Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Susan, enjoy your pool.  I had forgotten that you have one.  We have a hot tub and it's run on electricity.  We just get in & push a button.  It's been a cloudy week after being told that we would have 4 days of 🌞🌞🌞.

fressa, I don't have a Green Thumb either, but we did have about a dozen blooming tulips.  They are my favorite flowers.  When we did our complete spring cleaning job a few weeks ago, we had our garbage/recycling bins full for 4 straight weeks.  It was so good to get rid of things that we don't use & need.  

it's another cloudy day, but we should see 🌞🌞🌞 tomorrow.  Then off and on rain all weekend with temps in the 80's.  

My DH and I went to our local cemetery this morning and put a nice faux spray on my parents gravesite.  The grass was very wet,  so I was glad that I had on a pair of ankle boots.  My grandparents, great aunts & uncles, aunt & uncle, 2nd cousins are buried here and there too, so that was my exercise for the morning.

After lunch, we will be going to four other cemeteries where my great grandparents & aunts and uncles are buried.  Then on to the cemetery where my great grandfather is buried.  He was in the Civil War and it's a very old cemetery.  His wife is buried in a different cemetery.  Why.  I don't know.  Then on to the cemetery where my dh's dad is buried.  By then, we will both be ready for a nap.

No big plans for the weekend.  Yet.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Susan.  I hope the new pool heater isn't too expensive.  Sorry your weather isn't nice.  I will be doing laundry tomorrow.  While I do have a bag ready for donation, I should really be adding to it while I have the time.

Hi Fressa.  Glad you got the boxes down from the attic.  That is funny about the rain being caused by your watering.  It is sunny and warm here, with a high of 90 degrees predicted.  They are predicting very hot weather next week.  June is typically our hottest month, and one year it reached 100 degrees every single day of the month with zero rain.  This was the first year since we moved here full-time in 2011 that I had travel plans for at least  part of the month.  Oh well.....

You and your DH certainly have been busy visiting cemeteries today, twinny.  When I was growing up, my family would go to a florist (the only time of the year we would go), and buy flowers to take to the graves of relatives buried in the area.  I have not been able to visit any graves since I moved here with the exception of my visit to Arlington Cemetery last May during a Road Scholar tour.  Two of my Uncles and my parents are buried there, but I only got to my parents columbarium due to the weather and lack of time.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  I did pretty well at the grocery stores yesterday -- even found some peroxide which I use a lot for cleaning purposes.  But, still no disinfectant spray or wipes, and several other items were either missing entirely or very limited.  

My dental visit went quite well, and I will definitely be switching to this dentist rather than return to the one I had been using for years.  The old practice was part of a company, and I felt it was just too "industrial" if that makes any sense.

I remembered one of my bookclub members lives in Michigan much of the year, and I knew it was near a chemical plant.  When I asked by e-mail, she said her "summer" home is in Midland.  She and her husband were visiting one of their daughters in Texas, but plan to return to Michigan tomorrow.  Fortunately, her home was not flooded, but she said she expected to be spending lots of time helping her neighbors.  On the positive side, she said people followed the warnings, and there were no deaths or injuries in town.

My exciting news is that I will be helping the hospice chaplain starting next Thursday.  I'll be going in the morning to pick up his mailings and postage, putting the letters together, and taking them to the Post Office.  Not really exciting, but I will be very happy to have a "job" again -- no matter how small.

I took a different walk this morning, and dropped off the DVD at the library.  This afternoon, I have a Zoom OLLI seminar.  Hope that will be interesting.

Have a nice day everyone and stay safe. 

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. It is getting to be pool season when it finally warms up. I do hope the pool heater doesn't cost too much, but it is worth it when you enjoy your pool.

Fressa--For you, watering plants is like people washing their cars; it seems to bring the rain. It is good that you are clearing out those boxes for recycling. Sometimes, we have to flexible with our plans.

Twinny--You have a busy schedule with visiting the cemeteries. That is a tradition here also, but this is one  year I am putting it on a back burner as my parents are buried in a beautiful cemetery but it is up on a hill with access that is not the best when it has been raining. I'm the only one here that goes there, and with the lack of cell service there, I am not in the mood to risk it right now.

Linda--I love your weather. as ours has been terrilble until today with the rain and below average temps. It is good that you have a "job" as I know you like to be involved in helping people.

I went to the city today to have the car serviced and had lunch with a friend for the first time since early March. Right in the middle of it, my cell rang. It turned out to be the Surgical Center wanting to go over my medical history. They said to call them back before 4:30pm or on Tuesday.

I made it home in time to call them at  3pm but the nurses were not available at that time. I hate playing telephone tag as I have to be back in the city on Tuesday. I may end up going to the Surgical Center on Tuesday to give them the info. They have it from previous visists, but they still have to review it with me.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.