Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (April 1st)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Can not believe it is April already, where is this year going.  It surely is not going as I thought it would.

DH gets his pain shot tomorrow.  He has been doing physical therapy and now can sit in a chair and is doing some walking with a walker.  If this is successful, I will not have to get a hospital bed for him (well this is what we think).  Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Of course, thru all this it has taken a toll on the dog.  She was not feeling well and had a couple accidents in the house over night, so yesterday I took her to a vet to get checked out.  You go to the office and they come out and get the dog and come out and tell you what is wrong.  I sat in the parking lot for 2 1/2 hours.  She had colitis (I know her nerves are shot because DH is not here).  So I am hopping when he comes home this will settle her down.  

I am really looking forward to things settling down.

So I am done rambling, I hope everyone is doing well and find things to do to keep busy.  I have cleaning to do here, I still have canned goods sitting in the garage to be wiped down before storing.  

I hope everyone has a great morning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (April 1st)

Goof Morning Susan @PAlady   Very hopeful news about your husband.  My mind has been a bit scattered with this pandemic, are we talking about Laverne, the dog?  I hope that I got her name right, if not please correct me.  Did the doctor give her any medicine?  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Bernie - Yes, Laverne is the dog.  She did get some meds and I need to feed her chicken and rice for awhile to settle her intestines (they are inflamed).  I seem to adopt all the dogs that have this problem.  She is doing well right now, she is resting by me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PAlady  Susan when my dog Max (boxer/shepherd mix) was a baby I fed him Hill's Science Diet for babies.  At about 18 months old I transitioned him to Hill's Science Diet for adults and my God did he get sick.  I woke up one morning and it looked like a pack of dogs got sick in the house instead of one.  I sincerely thought someone poisoned my dog even though there was zero chance someone could poison my dog.

I rushed him to the vet and the said the Science Diet made him sick.  Vet said it was colitis - not the chronic kind just the kind that flares once in a while.  I said, wait a minute - he's 18 months old and he all of the sudden gets colitis after I switch him to Science Diet adult formula - I ain't feeding my dog that garbage.  The vet and I got into it.

Suffice it to say, I boiled alot of whole chickens and made alot of rice and for 2 weeks that's what Max ate.  I transitioned Max to Nutros Natural lamb kibble and wet food after the chicken/rice diet settled his digestive system.

For the rest of Max's life I kept an RX of tylan powder on hand whether or not he needed it and I noticed that he would get digestive irregularities during the transitions from winter to spring and summer to fall.

I'm sorry little Laverne is missing her 'dad'.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. Things seem to be looking up for DH. I do hope the shot works well for him, and I do hope the dog does better. Our vet has the same procedure for seeing pets now.

Bernie--I use Hills Prescription ID dry food, and tried the wet version but Midnight didn't like the wet version. Right now, he is 17 years old so I am feeling him whatever he will e at.

I've been sleeping so well the past 7 nights, so I'm trying to figure that one out. I'm getting ready to watch the governor do his daily update. This is earlier than usual. Food-wise, I am good for 30 days.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Susan, yes, this year is flying by.  Some good, bad & ugly!  Mostly good though.  I hope that your dh's shot tomorrow helps & you don't have to get a hospital bed.  Sorry about your dear dog being under the weather and missing your DH.

Bird Mama, you had quite a dog story too.  Jean, I have been sleeping well too.  Now I better knock on wood.

It's a beautiful sunny day and more of the same tomorrow. Then a rainy Friday.

Lunch & supper are leftovers and then it's hot tub time.

I am going to start sewing my new bathroom shade this afternoon.  Then I want to drive my moped downtown for my walk. I hope that I can get it all done.  Right now it s sounds good.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Susan.  Hope your husband gets his pain shot tomorrow, and it is successful.  Also hope you don't need a hospital bed.  My DH was in a hospital bed for two years after I placed him in a memory care/assisted living facility.  The bed and other equipment was covered by hospice, and I was grateful for that.

Also hope Laverne gets better.  I don't think I ever had a dog with colitis, but I have had times when I needed to put dogs on chicken and rice, etc.  Hopefully, she will be better when her "Daddy" returns.

Hi Bernie -- that was something with your dog.  I know vets often prescribe special foods when the dog is young and/or sick, but I only think that happened a few times with my dogs.  

Glad you and twinny slept well last night, Jean.  Unfortunately, I did not.  I had been doing quite well, but last night wasn't great.  I did read for a while and slept in a little late.  Hope that I do better tonight.

Not sure if I have a months worth of food, but maybe if I were creative.  I read an article talking about how one could shop every two weeks rather than one week with good planning.  

Have fun in the hot tub and with your shade project, twinny.  

It is very quiet here, and I expect taking my daily walk will be the highlight of my day.  One of my Caregiver buddies said she went to Wal Mart yesterday morning (senior hours) to pick up groceries for several of her neighbors and herself.  While I think she did okay, she said the line was very long, and people were not keeping the appropriate distance between themselves.  The store only let a few people in at a time, but she was concerned about the waiting exposure.

I had an appointment scheduled for next Monday with a new dentist.  I kept wondering if it was a good idea since my teeth are fine (just need cleaning and a check-up).  This morning, I called to postpone the visit, and the earliest date is in June.  Theoretically, I will be in the middle of my trip to England and Scotland, but I have a strong suspicion that trip will be cancelled.  If not, I can aways postpone the dental appointment again.

I'm making some vegetarian vegetable soup in the crockpot.  I decided to do this since I had some carrots and celery that were at the end of their useful time.  I made banana pineapple bread yesterday for the same reason.  Usually, I would have taken the bread to the senior lunch program, but.....  It made for a very nice dessert which pleased me.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, Wal-Mart is where I am not going to right now.  Too many people & I need my space.  We did our grocery shopping last Thursday morning earlier than usual and we got right in & right back out quickly.  Other than bananas which my DH likes,we don't plan to go shopping until next Thursday.  Your banana pineapple bread sounda good.  I made a batch of blueberry muffins a few days ago and they satisfy our sweet tooth, but they are not sweet like ones that come from a store.

My moped ride & walk were nice as was the hot tub.  I saw a few other walkers,  but they weren't near me.

I have been leaving my shoes and coats in the garage for a few days.  Today I couldn't find one pair.  They have been in the garage for a week.  I told my DH that if the virus doesn't kill me, anxiety will. 

This reminds me of when my sister contracted bulbar (sp) polio when we were 4 years old & we were quarantined.  Thank goodness for the vaccine.