Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday, May 29th

@LindaLatte  - sorry to hear that you were feeling so poorly.  Hope that you're on a feeling-better trajectory.  You're probably the only other one on our thread who knows what the trees are that I planted, lol, as they pretty much just grow in CA, AZ, TX, and FL.  Some of our trees need a Fort Knox type fence around them to protect them from the goats. Some of them need to be a variety that ground squirrels and rabbits aren't fond of.  Vermin don't seem to care for the "Australian" plants; pepper trees and bottlebrush.  Even the goats will only eat a little bit of them.  They're not poisonous - just not tasty.  I have no idea if critters will attack the jacaranda tree or Chinese pistach trees.  We may have to wrap them in wire for quite a while.  We had a 12+ foot tall mulberry tree a few years back that died.  The ground squirrels ate the leaves, the rabbits ate the bark off all around the bottom and killed the tree.  GRRRR.  I was so mad.

@Bird mama - Bernie - I can't imagine having a neighbor who barks and yells.  Our current neighbors are pretty quiet and "normal", which I appreciate.  But... they have a back yard filled with junk.  So glad we planted the hedge of bottlebrush a decade ago to block most of the ugliness.  As for the abandoned tractor trailer rig, we've called code enforcement, but nothing's been done about it, and that's why I decided to just plant trees to hide the view.  Hope it works.  I think you're being VERY thoughtful about fencing, shrubs, birds, etc. when it comes to your privacy.  Let us know how it all works out.