Super Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT Wednesday 9/23

@FunkyHulaGirl wrote:

Hi girls! It's a beautiful day out; I'm taking the dogs for a drive in a little while - I have to drop off some extra cupcakes I had left with the PO clerks, and also have to return something to Walmart.

I got busy yesterday, and had a frustrating day.  I went to pay the sewer bill, and forgot to take my account number so I called them.  I was astonished to hear the balance was over $90 - are they out of their minds??? THIS IS FOR ONE PERSON!!!  Of course, the woman I spoke to was as rude as can be so I got no answers; I have to find out what regulatory agency I can contact.  The greed of utility companies is beyond comprehension - there must be a special place in hell for them, where they'll WISH they had even a drop of water or a ray of light.  Cat Mad

While I was looking at FB on my Kindle I got a pop-up telling me I was "Today's lucky winner!"  Yeah...right.  The page showed a number of items I could choose as my "prize," but I know better than to click on pages like that - no doubt they'd offer to send it just for S&H, and would then have  me debit card number and would clean out my account.  Normally I'd just close tabs like that, but this one wouldn't let me close it; my browser was frozen on it. Thank goodness for the Mayday button on the Kindle; a rep helped me get rid of it.  It's a shame that people have nothing better to do with their lives than try and figure out how to scam people!  Cat Mad

A friend of mine sent me some money to put towards that joke of a fine; I told the woman at the window that I couldn't pay it all, and she was as rude as can be, telling me I shouldn't have broken the law.  Excuse me?  I did NOT break any laws; I was the victim of that dogcatcher who thinks she's hot stuff and probably needs to generate income to justify the minons she now has under her!  Oh, I wish I could just flush a lever like a toilet and rid the world of nasty, ugly people.... Cat Wink

I needed some "me" time, so I left the dogs home and went to JCP to use my $10 off a $10 purchase coupon.  I found a cute top I had to only add a couple of dollars to; they had some nice things, but I not only don't need anything, I don't want to give them my business, both because of their politics and the way they treat their employees.  The store was empty and I was chatting with the sales associate; I told her I used to have a PT job at the other JCP in town (which has since closed), and all the employees over 50 were given a raw deal, with their hours cut.  Apparently they're up to the same tricks - she said she was lucky to get 8 hours a week, and the poor thing has over $100K in medical bills for her husband!  Cat Sad  The new management is still penny wise and pound foolish; a woman took some bras into the fitting room, and I mentioned to the sales associate that it's not very smart to not have fitting room attendants, not only because of theft, but because of damage - at the store I worked at, someone took a huge pile of clothing into a fitting room, and urinated all over it!  Sure enough, at this store she was telling me that they had to close a fitting room because someone tore all the hooks out of the walls, smashed all the mirrors, and trashed the place.  They're losing more than they would if they paid someone to monitor the fitting rooms - not a smart business move.

From there I went to a new food place that opened - Cook Out, as I needed a break.  I never heard of them before until I found out they're building one about a mile from my house, and didn't realize there was another one across the river until I passed it.  OMGosh...was it ever good - and CHEAP!  For $4.99 you get your choice of about a dozen platters, and that includes two sides and a drink.  (You can also order a la carte.)  My double burger was amazing - it was REAL flame-broiled, and they give you so much food I couldn't finish it all.  On the cups it says "God Bless America" and "Psalm 118:24," so it's apparently a Christian company, as is Sweet Frog; I can tell this is going to be one of my favorites. If one of these restaurants opens in your area, do check it out!

I did get some cleaning done - rugs vacuumed (love the new vacuum cleaner), car washed, car seat covers laundered, things put away....  I conked out when I got home from my errands and didn't get to homework, so that's tonight's project. 

Snicks, I need an oil change too, and the other front tire has to be replaced.  (sigh)  It's always something, isn't it? 

I decided to pass on the car that Victor offered to sell; the problem with it needing oil often is a big red flag.  My car may be old, but I know what I've got, and it runs perfectly.

Rosa and LindaL, I used to say that back in my jogging days - the thing that felt best about it was when you stopped! 

Just saw the time; I'd better be on my way.  Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Sewer bill does not have anything to do with how many people live there, LOL!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Bernie good you had a record of all this.....just wondering whst's gonna happen in a heavy rain.....maybe nothing....but then again.....

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@FunkyHulaGirl wrote:

I got busy yesterday, and had a frustrating day.  I went to pay the sewer bill, and forgot to take my account number so I called them.  I was astonished to hear the balance was over $90 - are they out of their minds??? THIS IS FOR ONE PERSON!!!   

Sewer bill does not have anything to do with how many people live there, LOL!

Hey Arlene, Jennifer might have a point.  If the sewage part of your water bill was high, you might want to check to see if the cats are playing with the toilet - if they know how to flush it - seriously.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Actually, the sewer bill has everything to do with the number of people who live in a house, as more people = more water used.  And, if the cats were playing with the water, I had a leak, or whatever, the water bill would be higher...and it's not. 

They separated the water and sewer bills about two years ago, and EVERYONE complains about what crooks the sewer company is, and there's also talk about how what was done is illegal. 

Honored Contributor

Oh believe me, I know.  My water bill has the water usage and then the sewerage usage on it.  I work full time and my birds don't have the strength to flush a toilet, if they knew how to go potty in one (my lids are down - no accidental drowning that way).  When I receive my water bill and check out the sewerage part I just shake my head.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Was that just for one month, Arlene?  That does seem very high indeed.

Our water and sewer bills are separate, and I don't like it one bit.  The sewer bill is higher than the water bill, and they are actually from two different agencies.  Very strange system in my opinion.

Glad you are getting help with your driveway, Bernie.  Sounds like you handled it like a pro, which of course you are.