Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday 1/13

Afternoon All, just got home from the AT&T store, needed to get sim card info transfered to my new phones, have two numbers for home (no landline) mine were very old, so getting used to these new ones is going to be humiliating (sp?) for sure, for my most often used one I chose a Blackberry for the simple fact it has a real keyboard, all the reviews praised that, I don't do well with the screen ones & as I only use the phone for calls & texts that was important, however having a compass is such fun not to mention useful, a compass & a map and I'm good to go, don't like the GPS things. I'll be playing around with it for awhile I'm sure

Cold here also, winds are unrelenting, hope everyone stays warm.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Well got the "dip and clip" done, I like that term.  Also, got the ironing done, I think I will make some chicken soup  after I walk the dog.  I crock potted some chicken the other day so I need to use it up.

Jean - Enjoy the new car, it sounds nice.  I usually buy new, I keep my vehicles for a long time.  The vehicle I have now is 10 years old, DH thinks it is time to trade it in, but I love my buzz buggy so I will keep her as long as possible.

Snicks -  Hope you find a good color for the bathroom, I hate to paint, just ask my DH.

Rosa -  I use the containers because I am trying to make less waste in the landfills with plastic and foil.

Linda -  Can you get DH some nicer sweatpants, will he wear them?  They may be good for when he is at home.  Sorry about the extra wash loads.  Your 32 degrees sounds like heaven to me.  I know, I can't complain, we have had a good winter so far.

Bernie -  Sorry the washer bit the dust, I will say a prayer for it.  I love my top load washer, they take less time to wash a load than the front load ones.  Hope you find one you loke and can get quickly.

Well off to get bundled up and walk the dog.  Have a good afternoon everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

SUSAN, It has been cold the last few day, but still better than hot weather for me.  It will be 30's by tomorrow.  I got my hair cut today too.  Now I feel like a new woman.  I hope you can stay warm while walking your dog.

I am such a ditz with new electronics, & somehow got my new tablet disconnected.  This tablet is different than my other one, so I am still playing around with it.

BIRD MAMA, yes. When it rains it pours with expenses.  It was so nice of you to help your DS with getting a different car.  It sounds like you are getting a good deal on your new washer & can get it on your day off.

SNICK'S, it will be nice when the bathroom is all painted.  I like to paint but it takes me longer to do a nice job.  DH, paints like a SLOB, so I don't let him near a can of paint.  lol.

ROSA, I have a few pieces of lock & lock but like to buy them individually.

Phone is  ringing,  so I'll be back.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We just got a call from our widower friend & he is bringing his SO tomorrow night for dinner.   I am making lasagne as it makes way too much for two of us.

JEAN, our KIA was a beautiful silver & never looked dirty.  You got a good deal on interest rates.  Other than our very first car, we have always purchased new vehicles every 5-6 years.  I don't care if they depreciate when they are driven off the lot.  I don't want somebody's trouble as we now just have one vehicle.  We put on about 12,000 miles so always get a good trade in.  Our Subaru is brushed metallic bronze.  We like it  & it doesn't look dirty.

SPIX, It is cold here with a dusting of snow today & maybe a bit more snow on Friday.

Just glad for snow & not freezing rain.  Have fun with the new phones.

LINDA L, It sounds like things are getting done in a timely manor with your DH's health 

care. That was quite the story about the 97 y/o hitting the library with his car.

Mom seems more awake this week, but quite confused on everything.  DH & I took today off as my brother is coming up this afternoon.  We started cleaning her home on Monday one room at a time.  Hopefully we will be done by the end of the week.  Lots of dusting, vacuuming & sink/ toilet scrubbing.

Ribs in the oven for dinner.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

You can tell that I have been out of "the loop " for a few days.  I forgot to tell you all that we bought our first ever power ball ticket yesterday for the drawing tonight.  They say the money goes to tax relief so we were doing our part.  LOL.

I am just having a fun day & kind of in my only little world.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like a lovely car, Jean.  When DD was looking for a car, I asked my mechanic for suggestions, and Chevy Cruise was the one that I thought would be the best.  In the end, DD bought a used SUV.  It is a very nice car, but I would want a new one like you.  The difference in price doesn't usually impress me that much, especially since I like to keep the car for as long as possible.

Glad you have a day off twinny.  I know it must be difficult to clean out your Mom's house, but I guess it must be done.

Sorry you are having extra expenses, Bernie, but they both sound like important expenses.  I'm sure your sister really appreciates your help, and a washer woman must have her washer.  

The urologist visit went well -- he is quite efficient and good (in my opinion).  I think he took us earlier than our appointment, and we were finished quickly.  He changed DH's overactive bladder medicine (gave him samples to try out and see if this drug is better), and he told me to cut out DH's caffeine (I had been serving him a cup of tea or coffee for breakfast).  That won't be an issue for him -- I was giving him  the coffee or tea in to help keep him awake, but I guess that isn't good if you have bladder issues.  

I really wanted to get home and register for my "classes", so I went through drive-through (Burger King) rather than stop for a nice lunch.  But, I did go to Trader Joe's and did lots of damage.  I decided to buy multiples of things like a spice I use, dried fruit, etc., since their prices are much better, and I don't go there often.  I was like a kid in a toy store.

It is nice and sunny now, and I will take a walk for sure.

Sleep well everyone!

ETA -- I forgot to say that I do buy sweatpants for DH.  In fact, I no longer try to get him pants with zippers, just an elastic waist so he (or I) can get them off and on easily.

Respected Contributor

Hello friends!  65 degrees here - was pretty chilly at night but a very beautiful day. One friend woke me with text last night just as I was falling asleep dreaming, and I was awake for a while.  Then DD texted me at 4:50 so not so much sleep last night.  You would think I could turn the phone off but "my kids might need me".  Yes I know it's silly.  DH took me to Luby's - our favorite cafeteria - for lunch and I've no idea what I will fix for supper.  I do much better when I plan this ahead of time but I have not  planned.

Rosa, dip and clip is too funny!!  I love getting new color.  Jean, so glad you did not need to drive in the treacherous roads.  Extra money is nice but life and having a vehicle in one piece is much better! Bernie, I am quite attached to my washing machine!!  lol  so I can commiserate. Susan, I have one lock and lock and don't see what the big deal is.  I'm not sure how I ended up with it but my Gladware has gotten me along all these years.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Wow, looking at some of your temps, i guess I shouldn't complain about the 45° we have here! Cat Surprised Right now I'm cozy with the space heater...and four cats piled on top of me.  They try their best to get right in front of the warm air blowing out.

Nothing special going on today; Mark came by this morning to start emptying my pool. He said he can get it up and going in the summer, and would charge far less than the guy I used to use. I expect he'll be by later tonight to work on the water heater some more; apparently there's a leak in the pipe above the heater which has been dripping water into it, which is why the insulation is soaked and the pilot light wouldn't stay lit.  It's been weeks since I've had a "real" shower - pouring pots of warm water over myself while standing in the tub doesn't quite "do it."  A friend saw my update on FB and offered to let me come over for a shower at her place; if he doesn't get the water heater going tonight I may take her up on it.

I don't recall if I told you or not, but his older (30ish) son wants to take Angelica. I hate the thought of giving her up, but she's bored and frustrated as she's too strong for me to  handle. She can't be left unsupervised in the house, then I get angry when she wrecks something. Mark has four little kids, so I think she'll be a lot happier with constant attention.

I did go to the PO and finally received the paperwork I was awaiting. From there I went to Cook Out, as I had a coupon for a free meal.  I got hush puppies for the dogs and as one of my sides I got a bacon wrap for Angelica; oh, I'm going to miss her!  I had to stop at the library to return a book, and they had one that I had reserved, so now I don't need to go out until Friday, when I have to pay my mortgage. 

Jean, that sounds like a nice color on a car; if I were able to get a new(er) one I think I'd like champagne. I don't drive a whole lot, so getting a brand new car wouldn't be a very wise purchase; in the 11-12 years I've had my little Sentra I only put about 55,000 miles on it. 

Bird, if you think insurance rates in Michigan are insane, you should see what they are in HawaiI!  I had a car payment of $280 a month, and the monthly insurance premium was $250.  You had to show an insurance card when you got your annual inspection, so a lot of people would get insurance just to get the card, then cancel it. 

Sorry about your washer. I got mine about seven years ago from Lowe's and love it; only thing with the HE machines is they start to get a funky smell after a while, which you might notice on your wash. I solve the problem by running a cycle with vinegar and baking soda every so often.

For those of you who buy lottery tickets regularly, make sure you save the losing tickets as the amount lost can be deducted from the amount you won, so you don't have to pay as much in taxes. 

I like Lock & Lock too, but I have a lot of pieces I've never used, and they really do take up a lot of space. 

Enjoy your new phone, Spix. I have a dumb phone, because my smart phone wasn't very smart - it didn't call to tell me it was in the washing machine!  Cat Sad

LindaL, I feel like a kid in a candy store at Trader Joe's as well.  I had intended to make a trip there this month (90 miles away), but with all the problems I've been having it'll just have to wait. 

I so need a nap...but I expect Mark is going to come over to work on the heater.  Maybe I'll just keep the phone near me...he calls before he comes over, and even if he doesn't, the dogs will wake me.  I got out the fleece sheets and want to put them on.  Even though it's not horribly cold out, with no heat in the house they'll feel good.

Have a blessed evening, everyone!