Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Tuesday 8/4

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

We had quite the storms here last night, I haven't seen that much lightening in a long time, I have to admit it was kind of pretty.  I guess I can enjoy it more now, my dog was so afraid of thunder and lightening that I never could enjoy it. 

Not much going on for me today, Dh and his daughter's family went to an amusement park today, I really don't like amusement parks so I stayed home.  It is a win/win thing for that.  I do have a bunch of ironing to get done while they are gone so I will be busy.

Well off to start the ironing, hope everyone has a great morning.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Tuesday 8/4

I am also an a big fan of amusement parks.  Crowds and heat.  Not a fan of standing in line. Kathleen (Rock Chick) is our resident fan!!!!

We had one dog years ago who was terrified of lightening/flashlights/headlights.  Obviously a trauma before we got her.  I spent many nights with her next to the bed with my hand on her fur---she would be fine then.  We had another dog later who would alert us long before we knew the storm was coming.  She would try her hardest to bet under the bed but she was too large.  In her  later year she lost most of her hearing. 

Argh---didn't get my water bill.  Called for the balance--double what it should have been. At least it wasn't $500.  Need to get it paid.  Last time I didn't receive a bill it arrived on the due date!.  Next month will probably also be elevated---sigh.

Honored Contributor

Susan, thanks for getting us started today.  I haven't been to an amusement park in years.  I think I've lost the patience for waiting in lines for something that is usually over in 5 minutes (rollercoasters).  How's the cooking coming along?

LindaR - I received my water bill yesterday.  I suppose, compared to others, a 3 month water bill of $97 isn't high.  I still can't figure out the charge though.  I work full time and didn't pull the hose out to water grass until a couple of weeks ago (outside the billing period).  Hmm, maybe it was washing the cars that one time in the spring that did it. 

I had a dog that didn't like lightening and thunder either.   He used to crawl under the bed and I would plop a pad on the floor and would sleep on the floor next to him.  We'd both drift off while I was singing Sweet Baby James to him.  I probably could do the same thing today - the only difference would be that I wouldn't be able to walk straight if I managed to pull myself off of the floor :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. We were supposed to get a bad storm yesterday evening but it passed north of us, but we did get rain. Midnight isn't fond of severe thunder...or fireworks. Under the bed he goes!

LindaR--Ouch on the water bill. I did get my water bill but have no idea where it is. They send the bill in a small postcard type format. I put the mail on the car seat on my way to the city. When I went to get the mail on my return home, I couldn't find the card. I have the address so I'll just send the the usual amount.

Bernie--We get our bill monthly. The water bill also includes the water, sewage service and town service (whatever that is).  I'm about to make out a check for $47.92 for the month.

I went to the city yesterday for the dentist appointment, and to pick up some groceries and necessities for the cat. According to the WalMart receipt, I spent $81.17 on me and $23.83 on Midnight for treats, a new cat toy, cat ****** and a 25 lb. box of cat litter. That box of litter seems heavier each time I buy it. I still have it in the car in the detached garage; I have to grit my teeth and lug that box into the house.

I have to go see the primary care doctor this afternoon for the routine quarterly appointment. Next week, I get to see the cardiologist.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Yes i love the parks but we have a tried and true formula that means get there early eat a good breakfast before you go. Stop early for lunch before you are hungry and before everyone else is and leave around 3:30 with cold drinks waiting in the car. It's worked for a lot of years because i don't like long lines. If it's to crowded i leave.

I have some ironing to do as well, hope i can get it done before too long.
Esteemed Contributor

SUSAN , We missed out on severe storms in our are on Sunday night. Other areas not so lucky. We do need rain but not lots of large hail stones. I don't like amusement parks anymore, but when the kids were still at home we took them & my dad as he loved them. My mom stayed home & did other things too. BIRD MAMA, Our water bill runs about $110 for 3 months so not bad at all. I said that my goal for today was to put the wood cleaner on our dining room table & 6 chairs as it is nice & cool in the house. I almost had to peel myself off of the floors as it is difficult for me to get on my knees. The chairs were easy, but the table has a pedestal & large claw legs. DH was out for his morning walk. The job is done & everything looks like new again. It was only an hour job, so not bad at all. LINDA R, It is too bad that your water bill is so high, but hopefully all will be well again soon. Some good friends came up here on Sunday to deliver the car that they had sold in person to a couple that live in our hometown. My friend was black/blue/purple from top to bottom. On Saturday as she was getting out of their Tahoe, she turned wrong while stepping on the running board. She has one weak ankle, so she tried to turn around to avoid that ankle. She slipped & fell injuring the ankle. While she was grabbing for the car door, it hit her in the "boobalongs." She yelled as she was sliding under the Tahoe & the neighbors across the street came running to her aid. It looks like she was severely beaten. She said that if her head had hit the running boards, she would have probably broken her neck. LL, prayers going out to your friend Pam. I hope that the packing is done & that you have an enjoyable trip. My only other project for today is to run around with the cloth that has the cleaning polish on it & do the door ways & window frames. Maybe DH will do the trim around the floors & then all will be done. Simple lunch & then hot tub to rest my weary body. Dinner tonight is debatable. HUGS to all of you. HUGS to all of you.
Respected Contributor

Pepper used to alert us to storms with heavy breathing and trust me you would not get any sleep!

Bernie, DD is looking at a special hammock fit her Jeep that is a'bikini top ' and a hammock. It's called aJammock. Very cute but I doubt i could sleep in a real hammock anymore! Will you call about your water bill? We have a septic system and have been putting off a repair for a long time. Have had to manually pump the aerator, which just means we have to watch it. Anyway it's nice not to have a water bill until we have to make repairs. ☺
Respected Contributor

Jean it looks like you said a bad word. lol school starts back soon here, college too in another couple weeks. Gotta get back to work!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kathleen--my method of handling amusement parks....Disney, etc...is to eat a big breakfast, and tuck into my bag a protein bar and a soda or water. I never pay amusement park prices for food and beverages. School has started here for teachers with their prep days and inservice. Next week, the kiddies start. Have a good day at work; I know it will be difficult to see DD leave for her new posting despite how proud you are of her achievements.

Twinny--You have an amazing amount of energy. I know the table, etc. look great. It is so hard to maintain things when you lose your flexibility for one reason or another. You've worked hard, so the hot tub will be a great reward. Oh, black and blue!  I understand that as I'm on blood thinner and end up with bruises easily but your friend really bruised.

I'm watching Denim & Co. I think my shopping gene has been temporarily deactivated. Off to fix some lunch and then get ready to see the doctor. I'll be taking my tablet to entertain myself during the wait.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started Susan.  Like you, I'm not a fan of amusement parks.  I haven't been to one in years, but the rides are too much for me, much less the waiting in line in the heat.  I'm glad you have found a way to get around some of those issues, Kathleen.  I know others really enjoy the experience.

Hi LindaR -- glad your water bill wasn't way higher than normal, but it is sort of insult to injury when you need to pay for repairs and a higher than normal water bill.  My water bill for last December was over $300, which is more than 15 times the normal amount.  For some reason, the water company was very quick to get the bill out that month -- I had a bill at the beginning and end of December.  Since then, the bill has been back to normal, but....

I don't think any of my dogs were that frightened of storms, but the door bell was another matter.

Guess you shouldn't wash your car, Bernie.  I wonder about some of these charges myself.  Around here, water is a precious commodity, so paying more for water makes sense.  But, your case seems strange.  Interesting about the location of your office.  I have never been to Detroit, so I have a difficult time picturing it.

Hope all goes will with your medical appointments, Jean.  That seems expensive for a monthly water and sewer bill, but....  Hope you manage to get that cat litter into the house without hurting yourself.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's injury, twinny.  Good luck with your cleaning -- hope you don't hurt yourself getting up.  Thanks for your prayers for Pam.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene (praying for you), Marijane, snicks, Barbara, Charlene, pinky ann, Karen, Gayle, Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and we will be going to the senior lunch program in a little while and the gym this afternoon.  

Most of the packing is completed, and I'm busy re-considering certain items -- decisions, decisions on what to take.  LOL

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda