Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Can't believe it is minus 11 with the wind chill factor here, I am not ready for this. Hope everyone is staying warm this morning, we actually have all the curtains drawn here to keep the heat in and cold out.

Kathleen - Congrats on the new job, I know you will do well where ever you work. When do you start the new job. How close are you to your DD's.

Jean - Guess you are working today? Our schools had a delay and I think they are now closed. The kids won't like that in June.

Not much going on here today, I guess I will try to do some cleaning and a little decluttering, I am not feeling too enthused about either. We will see how that goes.

Well off to get something warm to drink, have a good day everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Thursday

Susan, It is minus 25 with the wind chill today. Schools are closed for the 2nd day in a row. Too bad as Dec. was so mild with above normal temps all month. We are allowed one snow day then the rest will have to be made up. We are supposed to get about 2" of snow starting at lunchtime today. Very manageable but then the cold will be back again. They are saying 20's by Sunday so that will be a heat wave for us. I shut the curtains at night but when it has been so sunny during the day, the sun has really heated up the house. Today it is cloudy. Gas prices keep going down but it is too cold to go away.

I hope to sweep the part of the basement where the furnace, washer & freezer are sitting. The furnace man has been trying to get out here since October to clean the furnace, but every time he calls we are gone. No problems just a yearly cleaning.

Tomorrow DH & I along with our good friends are going to the travel agent to sign up for 8 days in Mexico in March. It will be an all inclusive resort in Riviera Maya. This will be our 3rd time there so it should be very nice. Something to look forward to.

DH got new hearing aids yesterday & today they are driving him nuts as he can hear sounds he hasn't heard for a long time. When I was in the shower this morning, he said he couldn't figure what the noise was. He hasn't heard the sound of running water for a long time. When he was driving our vehicle yesterday he said he heard the snow hitting the under carriage of our Suburu. My talking is also way too loud as I have had to shout for quite a while. Hugs to him as he has to make many noise adjustments.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Susan. I'm sorry you and many others are dealing with such cold weather. I know it is January, but this is way too cold for most people. Our temperatures made it up into the 70's yesterday, but we are having a cloudy and cooler day today, with a chance of rain. They are predicting highs in the 60's for the next several days -- I know that would be a heat wave for you. I like having warm drinks when it is cold or even chilly.

Hi twinny -- sounds really cold in your area. I hope you have a wonderful time in Mexico in March. I think I mentioned we stayed at an all-inclusive there and totally loved it. There was a nice selection of restaurants, and the pools were great in addition to the ocean.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, Rosa, LindaR, Marijane, Gayle, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

My stint "marketing" the classes yesterday went quite well. I enjoyed it, and we were busy. The lady sitting with me was very interesting, and is actually leading a couple of "discussion groups" as they are called. There are so many interesting classes being offered, but I need to limit attendance or I will be overwhelmed due to my other activities.

Curves went well, and DH and I had a nice walk. Today, they are having a party at Curves to introduce a new exercise routine, and I am able to attend (I had been on the waitlist).

The plumber finished yesterday morning, but I think it took longer than he expected. Also, it cost more than expected. That is the way it goes.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Valued Contributor

Kona, I had a dentist appt at 8am it was 3 degrees, not counting wind chill, brrrrr. many of the local school systems here are closed due to the cold.

Twinny your vaction sounds wonderful. My son went on an all inclusive cruise for their honey moon with 2 other couples and they had such a good time they want to take a trip a year together.

I am really enjoying the lower gas prices but here grocery prices are maiking up the difference.

I love that Liz Claiborne dress for $11 that is a lunchtime special.

Valued Contributor

I new posting to this topic. Hello from cold and windy southern Michigan! Everyone have a great day, stay warm....and happy shopping!

Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 LoriMI said:

I new posting to this topic. Hello from cold and windy southern Michigan! Everyone have a great day, stay warm....and happy shopping!

Welcome, My son went to school for 3 years in Lansing. Is that considered southern MI?

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread on this chilly morning. Our schools are closed so I've been lazy.

LoriM--Welcome to the thread. Please continue to drop in and post whenever you can.

Good morning, shopping friends. I've been spending the morning watching 4 hours of the Today Show simply because he has been filling several minutes of each segment and is a major part of the 4th hour. This is such an enjoyable contrast to the usual doom and gloom of news formats and if there is a guest, it is usually just for a few minutes.

At 9 am, it was one below here with a wind chill of 13 below. My water survived the night, but the house is very well insulated including the pipes. I still let the hot water drip, however, just in case. Obviously, school is closed. We are not as hardy as some places used to this type of cold. The major problem is that we are a rural district, with over 90 percent of the students transported, many riding 30 minutes or more on a school bus. I think the first student is picked up at 6:30am. That is a long time but with the multiple stops the bus makes, it takes time. Because a bus may run early if students are not at a stop to be picked up, students are usually out waiting for a bus ten minutes before the scheduled time.

I've been lazy today but I need to get back into discovering what treasured item can depart the house. My problem is that, although I have items still in great condition and look new, I still like to add to the collection as things appeal to me. I have a weakness for buying tops that are either red, black or dark blue in solid or patterns. How many multiple red, black and blue tops do I need? I had originally decided I would not buy more clothes until Spring but now I'm trying to focus upon Summer. Actually most of my clothing can be worn year-round unless they are crop pants. Time will tell.

I hadn't mentioned this but I'm back in the mood to try losing again after maintaining my loss for a few months. My big success is not gaining weight over the holidays. I do use the portion controlled method and often use pre-packaged items in which I know the calorie count, as well as amount of protein, healthy carbs, and fat. I'll permit myself a healthy dinner out.

Today's menu includes:

Breakfast: Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with blueberries added.
AM Snack: Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt
Lunch: Can of Progresso Light soup
PM Snack: small apple and Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt
Dinner: LC pizza and steamed veggies...
Eve.Snack: Pure Protein shake with 20g of protein for 120 calories if munchies attack

I logged my planned food for the day to see if fine tuning is required. I usually range from 1200 to 1300 calories. It is so easy to sneak something in if it is not logged. I try to get the most amount of protein possible for the fewest calories.

Now, that I have bored you with that, I have been looking at Amazon and just now turned to the Q as I forgot about the Affinity show. Perhaps I should have continued to forget just in case something calls out to me. I haven't bought Affinity for a long time.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 fbm8282lsm said:
On 1/8/2015 LoriMI said:

Welcome, My son went to school for 3 years in Lansing. Is that considered southern MI?

That is in the southern part of Michigan, we are 1 hour south of Lansing. About 23 miles north of Indiana stateline.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the welcome! My hubby and I own a Bed & Breakfast in Jonesville, Michigan. It really is like Mayberry.

I am now living in a state of chaos, we are redoing a guest room and gutted its bathroom. It has to be completed in the next week. Hope we make our deadline! This is the 4th room I've redone since July.

Esteemed Contributor

Lori--I have never completely recovered from remodeling. Just as in a move, I had to pack everything up. I miss some of the organizational features I once had, but the real problem was that I was so overwhelmed with the task combined with an injured back, etc. that I just found it difficult to do anything about it.

I have that Affinity angel diamond ring. The appearance is much better than expected for that price and carat weight. I got it slightly over a year ago to remember my mother, and I have worn it nearly every day on one hand and my one carat ring in 14k on the other hand. It was the last Affinity purchase I made. Today would have been my mother's birthday, so I'm a little sentimental right now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.