Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Thursday 7/23

Back from strong bones, and back to the computer.  What a habit I have -- always going on the computer.

That is really something about no Amazon purchases, Jean.  I think I do better with no Q purchases, but Amazon items keep coming.  Today I should receive DH's sock helper.  Hoping that works for me.  

I know that the hours of your local senior center don't work well during the school year, but maybe you can try again before school starts.  Better a little than nothing.  I didn't have many exercise choices in Maryland -- except for pretty expensive ones.  I did take an exercise class through the recreation department for several years, but it was only one day a week.  Excellent instructor, but once a week doesn't work well.  I definitely spend a lot more time exercising these days -- retirement and availability makes a huge difference.  

I was the strong bones workout leader again this morning, and the same lady came as last Thursday.  She is a very interesting lady.  It turns out that she has osteoporosis and is taking the same medicine as me.  She will also be attending a "newcomers" potluck I'm attending tomorrow.  Both of us picked up some things for the potluck at the grocery store nearby after our class.  

The whole potluck thing has me thinking of Arlene.  What bad experiences you have had with the potlucks.  Yikes!

I contacted my health insurance yesterday, and I think I may be able to get a bit more help with DH -- I need to call and see if he would benefit from an occupational therapist.  He has trouble with things like getting dressed, etc., and apparently they can help sometimes.  Or maybe they can help me help him.

My plan is to go to the alternate fitness center today to see if I can remember the new machines I learned about yesterday.   Not giving myself too much time to forget.  LOL  The gym open house yesterday was okay, but I will not be joining.  Most of the machines I would use are in the fitness center, and others are way beyond my abilities -- more appropriate for my very fit grandsons.  Those ladies who are in "Silver Sneakers" through their insurance are able to go there for free, but I would need to pay $25 a month, and $10 each for classes such as Zumba, etc.  Just not worth it for me.  One of the Curves coaches (a college student) has been hired there, and I would like to see my Curves friends, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money.

I thought of Bernie yesterday -- we have quite a few quail in the area -- Gambel's Quail, and they travel in large groups -- adults at the beginning and end of the line, and babies in the middle.  Anyway, a group came right up against our "Arizona room" door while DH and I were eating lunch yesterday.  What cuties.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, snicks, Barbara, Marijane, Charlene, LindaR, pinky ann, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's been pouring buckets all morning and is just now starting to taper off; temps are only in the 70s.  It figures...we had triple digits until I got the pool put up!  Cat Frustrated  I'm going to a play tonight - "9 to 5" - and hope the rain stops by then; I refuse to pay an exhorbitant amount for parking, and always find a spot on the street nearby if I go early enough.

Bible study was cut short last night; the church is only about 100 feet from the memorial for the victims of the terrorist attack; the pastor thought it would be a good idea to walk on over and share the gospel with people. I was surprised that my friend the pool guy was there with his wife and two day old baby...and they were passing the kid around to anyone and everyone.  I'm not into babies at all, but he's sort of cute - really tiny! 

It was cool when I got home, but I did spend some time on the pool float - my favorite time of day is twilight, particularly when I can spend it in the pool, just talking with the Lord as I listen to the frogs singing with the cicadas doing backup and the fireflies dancing about...and, of course, the moon and starts to enjoy.  There was some sort of insect or toad or something last night - don't know what - but it sounded sort of like a message alert on a cell phone and went on for hours!  Cat Happy

Sorry to hear about the shooting, Twinny; it's another sign of the times and things are just going to get worse until the Lord returns. Cat Sad The worst is when some innocent person is attacked and injured or killed; I can't say I care about the perpetrators, such as the man who killed our servicemen in Chattanooga, but my heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones.

My first purchase from QVC - after it became QVC or merged or whatever with CVN  - was a pants outfit in my favorite color combination: purple and turquoise.  Back then you got $5 off your first purchase; those days are long gone!  Now - like many retailers - it's all about profit, not making customers happy.

Speaking of which, I'm through with Bath & Body Works.  I used to love their products, and enjoy be surrounded with fragrance when I showered or washed my hands.  The older items I have (I used to stock up when they had sales) are fine, but with the newer ones you can't smell anything unless you hold the lather right up to your nose.  Fragrance is the most expensive ingredient in their products, so I guess they cut back to increase profits. Cat Mad  Between that and discovering that they contribute directly to Planned Parenthood, I'll never go into one of their stores again.

Wow, LindaL - 12 pools!  That must be wonderful!  Are some salt water and some chlorine?  Different shapes?  And what's pickleball?  I never heard of it!

Twinny, that would be the day my friend baked anything, except maybe a plain cake from a mix! Cat Happy I made the cakes, and shared one with her and her sister, as I had limes I had to use.  I still have two limes left; I think I'll make one of those cakes for Victor - I haven't given him anything in a while.  BTW, I have pictures of a lot of my creations in my FB albums.

Jean, how's Midnight doing? You haven't mentioned him in a while.  Last night someone at church offered me kittens, and I actually declined.  I have enough pets, for one thing, and I find that kittens are too destructive - if I considered another cat at all, it would be an adult.  I don't have the patience that I used to, especially after the last kittens I got - they did damage no others ever did, like tear my wallpaper. Cat Mad

Well, the rain has let up and it's warmed up a few degrees - maybe I can just relax on the float for a bit - I have one that's sort of a "chair" and keeps you suspended in the water and is great for when it's really hot, but the other is full-length with an attacked head rest - good for reading. First,  though, I have to call the theater - they didn't put the time the show starts on the tickets!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--Midight is one active senior citzen cat. I would have considered you adopting him night before last. For some reason, he kept waking me up every couple of hours. Last night, however, he was back to his 3:30am wake up call at which time I go to the bathroom, humor him and go back to bed util around 6. He usually follows me to bed. He has such a beautiful black fur coat and no signs of grey like his momma.

Linda--I don't see my regular cardiologist until the second week of August. At that time, I expect to get approval for exercise. Of course, school starts that week also. I think it will be a return to Leslie for any exercise.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello all and TGI Thursday (I have Friday and Monday off).

Susan, the other day I replied to one of my Back Fence posters by the wrong name.  My only defense was that I posted before my cup of coffee :-)

Hey Rosa, long time no chat.  Doesn't it just make your day to find an item on sale that you end up loving?

Twinny, I'm so sorry about the shooting in your community.  I started watching the Q, December 2007 and thought it was a nutty concept.  Until I saw Joe Esposito :-)  First purchase in March of 2008 is jewelry from Joe J20420 and J20413.

Jean, good for you for getting rid of paper.  Honestly, it's almost time for me to purge my filing cabinet again.  Once I get going, the shredder gets hot.

LindaL - Wow, you practically have a resort full of exercise opportunities :-)  As someone who's worked in the health insurance industry nearly 35 years, one trend that I really appreciate is the proactive efforts taken to keep patients healthy or help care givers keep patients at home.  I know it's to keep cost down and keep people out of the  hospital, but I remember when we didn't have this kind of outreach.  The industry finally woke up realized it's smarter to get ahead of issues -does  this make sense ?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Splitting my post because it looked like the site was getting squirrely for a minute there.

Arlene - so the pool guy's wife had her baby?  Tragedy or not, Gospel or not, I personally think it's stupid to have a 2 day old baby out in the public.  I am also the type of person who tries to limit contact with people until the baby is baptized.  I know, I sound like I just arrived from the old country (lol).

We had our annual divisional rah rah meeting for 4 hours this morning.  My VP provided lunch, which was thoughful (burgers, dogs, chips, baked beans, cookies, soda, water).  There was also a continental breakfast prior to the meeting.  The afternoon activity was a Tiger's game - I chose to decline that invitation and got my desk straight before a couple of days off.

I'm sitting here waiting for the Fed EX guy - actually since 4pm.  I had no idea Novica was going to require a signature for the bracelet I ordered over the weekend.  When I came home last night, there was a Fedex sticker on the door saying they'd try again and needed a signature.  I signed the thing, said can you put it between the storm and main door and then stuck it back on my door.  What kind of peeved me was Novica didn't send out the email about the delivery being on it's way and needing a signature until yesterday morning (after I went to work and the bracelet was on the Fedex truck).

I got home before the Fedex guy and have my inside door open so he knows somebody is home :-)  I left the sticker on the storm door.

I did something stupid last night.  I have no idea what I was thinking.  I loaded up the clarisonic with my neutrogena cleanser and actually started with my forehead.  Duhhhhh - it's a clear (you can see thru the bottle) rich cleanser that went straight in my right eye.  Of course, it just kept foaming as I tried to rinse my eyeball out.  Thank God it doesn't have any cleansing beads in it.  I irrigated my eye with drops before I went to bed and put drops in during the day today.  My inside of my upper lid still feels a little angry.  Oh well, won't do that again.

Respected Contributor

Thankfully the rain stopped, I got in some pool time, and I'l getting dressed for the play in a little while. No eating out - I'm BROKE!  Cat Sad  I made scrambled eggs and cheese on a croissant for lunch a little while and it tasted "off" - I checked the cheese and it seems OK, but the moldy taste was there, so...I tossed it and I'm still hungry. 

Bird, I don't know much about babies, but I would assume it's not good to pass one around like that for everyone to handle before its immune system is fully developed, especially since he was a little premature, but...it was his parents' choice. This was the mother's first baby; the father has two other little boys. 

We don't do pedobaptism; we wait until the the person is old enough to repent and understand what they're doing, but we do have baby dedications.  I had been christened as a baby, then got baptized at a beach in Hawaii...and it was followed by a GOOD potluck!   Cat Happy

Jean, my cats mostly know better than to wake me up - I keep them on the other side of a door that divides the house, but sometimes one will sneak into the bedroom.  Although they let me sleep, they like to sleep on top of me, so I'm achy when I get up.  Autumn sleeps with me, but she's well-behaved. 

Guess I'd better get dressed and be on my way...  Have a good evening!

Honored Contributor

Girl (Arlene), you and them potlucks (lol).  I've heard of dedications.  Whatever route somebody takes, I still prefer a baby to be blessed by somebody, prayed over, anything - before you let it out in the world.

Okay, another old country comment - evil folks are out there and when it comes to babies, I vote for all the protection I can get from religious medals or crucifixes or scapular pinned on their undershirts or something.

Okay, let me go put my bobooshka back on (lol).