Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Thursday 11/12

@islandgrrl wrote:

I have not looked in on this thread for a long, long time.  At one time I recalled it to be a place where people talked about their shopping habits -- but I now see it has become a place for friends to gather which is wonderful.

Do you guys mind if I use this thread to give a shout out to @MaggieMack on the subject of shopping (or over shopping)?  Maggie: I saw somewhere -- and now can't find it -- that you went through your closets and were surprised by the number of items you had.  I think you said you were now in a 'no shopping' mode.  How is that going for you? I haven't been able to find a good place to ask you this question so this seemed like as good a spot as any if the regulars here don't mind! Heart

IG, I thought the same thing!  I've been overspending lately (I go through fazes of spending, there must be an emotional connection) and I clicked on this thread to see what the other shopaholics have to say about it, but I see that this is a thread of sweet friends.  Very nice!      

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's another gorgeous day out - warm and sunny. I'm going to the play tonight and have already moved the car to the end of the driveway - I have to sneak out the front door before the dogs can see me, otherwise they howl their displeasure at being left at home. 

Charlene, Harper is adorable!  She'll probably settle down as she gets older. Estate sales are so sad; all the things one treasured going to strangers...just another reason that I hate death.  I wish I could find a church with a good fellowship group and potlucks; I can't say I miss the one I had been going to (the one with the really lousy potlucks) at all.  I do miss my church in Hawaii; I'm still in contact with the pastor and some of the people.

Jean, I can't believe you're back already - seems like you just left!

Welcome, IslandGrrl and Tuesday Taylor.  I agree shopping can be an emotional experience.  I finally figured out that I often shopped a lot when I was younger because I was lonely and didn't want to to home to an empty apartment; volunteer work and taking flying lessons helped a lot with that.  I still sometimes buy for the lifestyle I wish I had rather than the one I do have (both clothing and things for entertaining), but I'm getting better on that...although I have more PJs than anyone has a right to own!  (At least I know I'll wear them for certain...)

I have no real shopping plans; we went to Aldi last night and I got more than I had intended, so I won't be needing food for a while. I bought some parmesan chicken breasts and had one last night - they're very good.  I'm back to needing to make room in the freezer, as I'm still planning a tripi to Trader Joe's...but I'm waiting until they have their holiday items in, as I want to get some extra little gifts.

LindaL - hope you find slippers that work; check out the ones that I told you about at LL Bean.  They're shearling, so there's a lot of forgiveness in the sizing and they eventually seem to mold to feit your feet. If they don't work you can send them back.

Well, I had two packages that were supposed to have been delivered from Amazon...after two years I had to buy toilet paper (the last box I purchased had 96 rolls), and I had to get some more cat scratchers.  They seem to be in limbo, as the tracking has just said "out for delivery" since yesterday and they're still not here; if they don't arrive by tonight I'm going to ask that they resend. 

Guess I'd better get moving; I want to get to the theater in plenty of time to get free street parking, and I also have to order a ticket for the Tchaikovsky concert.

Have a blessed day, everyone! 

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to Tuesday Taylor & Islandgrrl & welcome home JEAN.  Just checking in to say that it has been another busy day with mom.  At the meeting yesterday she was told by the palliative care Dr., the fellow from her rehab center & head of the PT/OT dept. that she is not safe going home again & also that she needs much more care than an assisted living place.  I was so glad that my brother was with me to hear the sad news.  Her lab. work appt. today & her appt. next week were both canceled as the Dr. said that she can get hospice now & they already know that her kidneys are failing so there is no need to needle her anymore.  DH & I went to a few banks this morning to give them the paper that I am her POA.  We visited 3 different facilities in town & will take her probably on Saturday to see them.  I get my infusion tomorrow morning so will need a nap when I get done.  I had a stiff sore neck for a couple of days, but it is much better today.  We are going to see mom as soon as her mail comes.  I hope that she understood what yesterday's meeting was all about.  BIRD MAMA, cute clothes purchases from JCP.  You will be the belle of the ball.  After a beautiful fall, we had heavy rain/wind yesterday.  We are under a wind advisory until late tonight.  SNICKS, It looks like you have had windy weather too.  PINKY, Those orange slices sounded so easy to make that I will try them soon.  LINDA L, Hope that things are going as good as can be expected for you too.  LINDA R, How awful those storms were in your area too.  MARIJANE, I will keep the snow here when it arrives.  We didn't get much last winter & it is good for our tourism.  SUSAN, it sounds like the new fur pet is keeping you busy.  SYDSGMA, I hope that you are feeling better & how fun to be back in MN again.  I read your posts each night, but feel somewhat overwhelmed right now.  Mom enjoyed the luncheon with 18 of my 2nd cousins yesterday. Since my brother was in town, he joined us.  He is the only one working anymore as he was my baby brother & now a foot taller than I am.  Hugs to all of you.  It is dinner out tomorrow night with friends but I will post when time is available.

Honored Contributor

@twinny, so sorry re: the news for your mom, I thought this was probably what was coming, but realized that both you and your brother as well as your mom, needed to hear it straight from the docs, and people in charge of her care at the rehab center. I am glad for you that your brother was there also. It is news that is never easy to take, for anyone involved. Get rest tonight, hope your infusion goes easy for you tomorrow, with a nap/rest afterwards. Nice that you could all enjoy lunch together with all the cousins. Take care.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I haven't been on the forum in awhile and just wanted to say hello! 

I have some Christmas shopping done but it is mainly because I bought things early on to get some good pricing (usually I am not this organized).  We will be with family for Thanksgiving but Christmas will be a smaller celebration. 

We are FINALLY done wth the work that needed to be done on our home.  The crew finished up last night around 8 pm.   It is nice to be back to less noise and a more normal type schedule. 

That's it on this end.  I hope everyone is doing well.

Gayle

Valued Contributor

(((((((((((Twinny)))))))))), I'm so sorry that you had such sad news. I'm glad your brother was there also, and could hear the doctor first hand. Prayers for you and yours continue.

Gayle, So nice to see you. Our celebrations will be similar in size to yours, just reversed. Thanksgiving will only be five of us, the smallest we've ever had. It's a huge weight lifted when home remodeling and repairs are finished. I have a really small family so my Christmas shopping is pretty simple and nearly done.

Not much got done today at our house. It's the third day of lots of rain, and DH and I are both starting to feel it. I looked for the berries to finish my projects in town this afternoon when there was a brief break in the weather, but found none. I'll likely need to wait until I get to Micheal's or another larger store. Have a good night everyone! pinky

Honored Contributor

Twinny, I'm so very sorry to read the news about your mother.

I didn't see this coming. I'm speechless and I usually could talk the hair off of a dog's back.

I will light a flameless candle for your Mom Twinny that will continue to cycle until such time you tell me she doesn't need it.  May God Bless her and be merciful to her and may He spare her pain.

My thoughts are with you, your DH and your brother.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@twinny70

Is it possible you could give me your Mom's first name or nickname.  I've had candles cycling in excess of a year for some poster's who needed prayers.  If possible I like to personalize my prayers and intentions with a name.  If not, I can say Twinny's mom and I'm pretty sure God will know who I am talking about.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Twinny: so sorry to hear the doctors report. I am glad your brother was there for first hand information. I continue prayers for all in our group who struggle

Tuesday and Island Girl. We all have our shopping struggles. I certainly have made my share of shopaholic shopping decisions. Our group is a a bunch of lovely ladies. We laugh together, cry together and just enjoy each other. Please feel free to join us. We love having new friends. Some of us have actually met in person!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so very sorry to hear the news about your Mom.  I will pray for her, you, and all who love her.