Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Thursday 11/12

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Today is refresh day for me - Cut and Color - I never thought my hair grew quickly until I started to color it.  The grey shows up so fast.  Oh well, that is my exciting thing today.  I do need to start cleaning, we are having  company over Sunday for dinner and today is the first day in a week that I felt well.  Think the cold is done, now just have to get rid of my red nose. 

Jean - Hope you are all rested up and Midnight hasn't made you feel too guilty about going away.

LindaL - Hope you get a walk in with DH today.

Hope everyone has a great morning.   What is everyone up to today??

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Thursday 11/12

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Not much going on with me. Grocery shopping is my only shopping!!

Cooler today. We have been having record temps. Rather unusual weather year

Charlene: Harper is adorable. Love those ears. I am thinking also some spaniel in her tree!!
Honored Contributor

Good morning PAlady and to all who follow. Thanks for starting the thread today. Grey does show up fast doesn't it? I found that to be the case once mine started turning grey years ago. Enjoy getting your hair done today. It always makes me feel better, lol. Glad that you are feeling better. I'm sure your cleaning needs are minimal but getting that out of the way is always good when company in planned.

Not much planned for me today, some cleaning also, laundry, etc. It's still windy today, not as bad as yesterday, but about 20 ish mph with gusts up to 30. We had about 5 minutes of rain last night, mostly just wind. I posted a thread on "kitchen category" re: peanut allergy desserts or treats, so if anyone wants to read that and make suggestions I would really appreciate the suggestions. I know I can read every label on every product on the shelves but if I can narrow down the selections to read the labels it will save me tons of time in the store, lol. I have so much trouble with my back that spending hours in a store reading every label becomes a painful process. Anyway, I do need to get busy here and do something constructive. Hope everyone has a nice day. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@kittyfan, hi there, we must have been typing at the same time. Researching online today, no shopping here either. Have a nice day.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. I slept for 12 hours straight after about 30 hours of not sleeping. The trip was great but always tiring. I see my Amazon Subscribe and Save arrived on the day I was coming back. It was found carefully hidden on the deck. I've done a few things around the house, but most of the time has been spent with Midnight occupying my lap. It was instant make-up on this trip.  I'll try to catch up later. Right now, I'm feeling sleepy again. It was 7 days of almost non-stop activity. I do have a sleep study scheduled for Sunday night, one of the things that awaited my return. I actually could have worked today but I was too tired and had to confirm the sleep study.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have not looked in on this thread for a long, long time.  At one time I recalled it to be a place where people talked about their shopping habits -- but I now see it has become a place for friends to gather which is wonderful.

Do you guys mind if I use this thread to give a shout out to @MaggieMack on the subject of shopping (or over shopping)?  Maggie: I saw somewhere -- and now can't find it -- that you went through your closets and were surprised by the number of items you had.  I think you said you were now in a 'no shopping' mode.  How is that going for you? I haven't been able to find a good place to ask you this question so this seemed like as good a spot as any if the regulars here don't mind! Heart

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone!  PAlady - glad your cold is getting better.  Kittyfan - glad you saw the photos of Harper that I posted on FB.  The pound said that Harper was brought in with her mother, a Labrador-looking dog, and 2 sisters.  We saw the sisters (already adopted).  They had a strong resemblence to Black and White English Cocker Spaniels, with black ears and tails, white bodies with black spots.  Harper is sweet, but she is a wiggly puppy that requires a lot of attention.  She's met all the cats and the goats.  So far, so good.  Jean - glad you got to catch up on your rest.  I feel for you, making the decision to let go of the time share.  Hopefully you can still visit Hawaii even without it.

Yesterday my DH and I went to the estate sale of our pastor's mother-in-law.  There were many nice things there.  I purchased 3 old china teacups and saucers, 3 small painted china dessert plates, and a pretty little antique booklet containing the 23rd Psalm.  My husband bought some hand tools and we bought a really neat old milk pail.  I thought it was nice that our pastor and his wife opened the estate sale up first to Norma's friends, and then to the public on another day.  They wanted us to have that opportunity to pick up a remembrance of her.

Today I am going to Bible study and we're having a potluck.  Good group this year in terms of potlucks, as well as everything else.  Hope everyone has a nice Thursday!  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Hi islandgrrl, welcome!  The women who post on this thread are extremely nice.  We do sometimes discuss our shopping, whether we just purchase a few things, or we struggle a bit with overshopping (I am one of the latter).  Hope you check back often!

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @cerb!  Big hug to you for the warm greeting.  I remember reading this thread a very long time ago with lots of understanding.  At one point in an old job I did much too much stress shopping.  This thread was a nice reminder that others out there had similar issues.  I now have a very different job and my over-shopping is no longer an issue but I do have to think long and hard about buying things on an impulse because they are cute and a good deal but really a necessity.  I am still working on that!

@MaggieMack and I have bonded over a similar taste in clothing so I have fun talking fashion with her.  I was struck by her post about limiting her shopping.  Now I am sticking my nose in your thread to check in with her!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Susan.  Glad you are feeling better and having your cut and color done.  I no longer color my hair, but I keep thinking about doing so.  I can only say when you get out of coloring your hair, it is sure hard to motivated to start again.  And, I'm sort of ambivalent since I am certainly old enough to have grey/white hair.  Mine is more white than grey.

Hi LindaR -- very cool here.  Last night there were all sorts of freeze warnings, and it was only 35 degrees out when I got up.  I agree about Harper -- she sort of reminds me of my brother's spaniel.  Cute puppy, but I know that he will need lots of attention as puppies do.

Good luck in finding recipes for people with peanut allergies, snicks.  I guess I'm lucky that has not been a problem for me or my family.  I do a lot of label reading in any case -- trying to buy as healthy as possible.  Glad your weather is somewhat better.

Welcome back Jean!  I'm sure you had a great time, but you need to rest and take it easy for a while.  Great that Midnight was nice from the start.

Good to see you posting island girl.  Hope your friend reads our thread and gets back in touch with you.  We do discuss shopping issues from time-to-time, and I think most of us have learned from others on this thread and others.

Nice that you found good things to buy at the estate sale, Charlene.  I was thinking about what you said about your DD's roommates.  I think your reaction is quite normal.  Hope your DD doesn't feel awkward about the situation.  Love the name Harper.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, Bernie, Rosa, Barbara, twinny (thinking good thoughts and sending hugs), Karen, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

I met with the CPA this morning, and I really liked him.  He will be doing our taxes this year, and he answered all my questions.  Much to my surprise and displeasure, it turns out that our estate planner (I thought attorney) had been disbarred some years back.  The CPA said that a "limited partnership" he set up for DH was probably not necessary and could actually cost us some money.  I asked if I should see another attorney to get an opinion on it, and he said it would probably be a good idea.  He gave me the name of an attorney in the area, and I have an appointment with him in early December.  I am so stressed out that the estate guy (who I thought was an attorney, but was disbarred) mislead us in several ways.  Not only that, he has been ill, and his wife (para-legal) has not been much help with this limited partnership idea.  I should have checked him out on the internet, but DH trusted him, and I just went along with things. 

The slippers I bought for DH do not fit -- despite being his size and wide, they are not big enough.  He has large and wide feet, so finding shoes to fit is difficult.  And, he cannot put on his own shoes, so I need to find something that is plenty big.

I have an OLLI class this afternoon, and I am trying to decide whether we should go for a walk or go to the gym or both.  Decisions, decisions.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda