Respected Contributor

Boy this month is zipping by quickly. There is a definite hint of fall in the air---although we don't have the lovely changing of the leaves--there is the hint of change in the air.

I spent some time with two diffierent customer service folks---trying to straighten something out. The accents were so bad it was difficult to understand---well that is my soap box issue for today. Makes we wonder where they were located at.

My town is continuing to change. The long term family owned drug store is leaving it's downtown spot. They had the old fashioned ice cream and soda fountain and lots of history to see. I wondered how long they could hang on with the chains coming in. Personal service is certainly going away.

Everyone have a good day---and a fabulous weekend. No shopping on my radar---other than my Amazon order which I will par down and edit before I submit. One nice thing is it stays in the cart so I can consider and compare.

Trusted Contributor
Hello Ladies, that's sad LindaR about the neighborhood drug store.....a soda fountain..wow that must be something ! Fall is here with a lot of changing trees and leaves falling down..but it has been warm. We have had a lot of rain past few days but today is beautiful out.

. Rosa is was nice to see your post the other day and that you still enjoy your job and your Zumba classes.....From the tapes I have seen you sure do get a good workout.

Have fun Kathleen at the Texas State fair...where is it located from you? Hope it's not too hot for you yo enjoy yourself.

How's your mom's schedule working out Twinny, I don't think I saw a post from you yesterday.

How is your DD doing Linda L.....has she gotten results back yet. It's good your DH got an appointment so soon. Hope he is ok too.

Not much going on today....had the pool closed on Tuesday....now it seems when I look out that it was never opened! ,summer went by too quick. Tomorrow we will be going into Brooklyn to see GS's soccer game,it's supposed to be a nice day....the past two Saturday's have been a rain out. Have a nice day.......Marijane

Respected Contributor

This year has certainly zipped by. Just saw a report that water bills would be increasing due to increased demands. Nothing goes down just up!!

One nice think about the drug store is the pharmacist knew many of his customers and would always say hello or come out to chat. Small town personal service is certainly a dying art!.

Respected Contributor

Linda they have demolished the middle school to make room for the new grocery store! It's kind of crazy to see it gone, although it was a very old building and empty. I am loving the mornings and even had to wear a hoody to exercise class a couple times this week. My other pair of jeans is coming in up there - right on time. So I will have a pair to leave at "city home".

I did buy a couple little items today - I found a little car air freshener that I love at this website, and found my guitar one on ebay (out of stock at that site). Looked through everything and saw some possible Christmas gifts. Usually I am buying gifts by now but this year I will likely wait until the last minute.

Marijane the fair is close to DH, so I am headed up there as soon as my boss cuts me loose. I did not ask to leave early so will have to wait it out today. Trying to stay busy!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's a beautiful day out - temps in the 70s - so I think I'll take the dogs to the park while I still can; once the weather turns cold I spend as little time outdoors as possible.

Linda, that's shame about the drugstore. One branch of my bank is in an upscale area that has all the small town ambiance with all the little shops. For years they've had a quaint little local pharmacy, and it made me angry to see that CVS opened a store two doors down; bad enough that the chains are taking over, but to put it pretty much right next to the small business made it worse. {#emotions_dlg.mad} Seems like uniqueness has become frowned upon; stores, restaurants - they're all alike, no matter where you go. That CVS really looks out of place there, and of course customer service from a minimum wage employee isn't ever going to be nearly as good as it is from a business owner who cares about his shop.

I agree time is flying by - more than half of October is gone already, and it's Friday again - seems like it was Friday just yesterday. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

The leaves are falling, but they haven't really changed color - seems like they went from green to a dead brown. The other day I drove through my old neighborhood where the streets are lined with lovely old trees on both sides, making a sort of canopy over the road, but the color just wasn't there. Very disappointing - I wonder if it's worth taking a drive to see the autumn leaves, or if it's like that all through the valley.

Guess I'd better get moving; I'm going to start the clothes swap today. I was going to begin yesterday but just didn't have the energy.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Valued Contributor

Good afternoon!

I do agree time is flying.

I do agree that customer service is becoming a thing of the past. Our town has very few locally owned small buisness left. I do try to patronise them when it is possible.

Zumba is a very good work out for me, I am not a natural dancer so I really have to concentrate to try and keep up, sometimes I am in the back just moving to my own beat{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

The women in the class are great fun.

Thw weather here is great, I am going out for Mexican with my cousin and she is picking me up so that means I will can have a Margarita, Ole'

I am glad to see that everyone is doing well and staying busy.

I really appreciate the kind thoughts, I am doing well.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, Yes this month is flying by. We do have beautiful leaves this time of year & so far the rain hasn't blown them all off of the trees. It is sad about the hometown stores going away to the big chains. I hate customer service that you can't understand. My DH does poorly with them as he can't hear or understand them.

Rosa, nice to see you posting again. Zumba looks like fun but I definitely cannot do that. We have had rain all week until yesterday--over 6". We love PA too & we did spend 4 days in Lancaster on our way home from the East Coast last month. I had so much fun at the QVC Outlet store. Hope you have a great lunch out today too.

LL, I am glad that your DH is getting back to normal. Still praying for your DD to get good test results. The TSV sheets did look wonderfully warm.

FHG, Glad that your door problems were fixed by a nice guy. Our leaves are very pretty & luckily the rainy week hasn't washed all of the leaves away.

RC, I love the fall like weather here too, except it looks like rain again & is on the cold side. Yesterday was beautiful & sunny. Have fun at the fair. Sounds like you have a great boss.

I have been reading more than posting as I have been busy & a bit on the tired side yet also.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane, DH & I took my mom to the eye Dr. in our hometown this morning. He said the left eye is still quite inflamed. She still cannot see anything out of it & we have been doing the eye drops for three weeks now. The every 2 hour schedule stays the same until at least Tuesday when we take her to another eye Dr. about 20 miles away. The Dr. today did say that if the next Dr. doesn't change the schedule to every 4 hours to call him back & he will give me a more powerful eye drop that will be administered every 4 hours. Needless to say, mom is not a "happy camper" right now. My brother did come up on Tues. & Thurs. so that was a great help for us. She does also have 2 neighbors going across once a day each so that is nice as they only put one drop in & I don't like going for the one eye drop session. DH goes once a day for his one drop too, so that helps me out. I know it took a "village" to get me going many years ago, but this is almost as bad.

Since my brother went to mom's yesterday afternoon, DH & I were free to roam after 1:00 p.m. We haven't had that privilege in 3 weeks. The leaves were very pretty so we went looking for a new vehicle about 45 minutes from our hometown. We went to the Suburu dealer & saw a Forester that we really liked, but not the offer he gave us on our Kia Crossover. Then we headed on the Interstate to Madison to a Suburu dealer there. We looked at all of the colors that they had & it was a hard decision. We don't really like white, but they had a beautiful pearly white metallic one, a very nice silver one (that is the color we have now) and one in the new Bronze Metallic color (which we chose). The fellow there gave us $1,000 more for the trade-in & added over $600 for an option we wanted but hesitated to buy. Then he wanted to know if we had the check book with us. I said "no" as we didn't think we would buy that quickly. He said he wanted at least $100 to hold the Forrester until it comes in about November 17. That we did manage to come up between us. It is a 2015 & it was nice that we didn't have to special order it as then it wouldn't arrive until January.

It will be the first time that we have ever had heated seats, heated windshield wipers & heated mirrors. After last winter, my butt needs some warmth when coming & going. I am also thinking that with all of this extra heat, maybe we will have a mild winter. I can dream on can't I?

I didn't sleep well last night, so did manage a 2 hour nap this afternoon. Now I almost feel like a "new woman" again. Grocery shopping was as exciting as it was around here today too. DH & I went in to Aldi's today for 3 things before we went to our regular grocery store. We checked out after a guy that said he was buying for 4 boys. He spent $287.00. Glad I didn't have to put them all away.

Respected Contributor

Twinny, those heated seats are so nice when I have a backache or cramps!! Sometimes I have the sunroof open and the heat on high! I'm glad you got a little bit of a break with mom and hope she gets better soon. I know this has to be a drag for her, and difficult to be so dependent on so many people!

5 minutes to closing so I'm going to lock up and dust a little! Hugs to all!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening! Thanks for getting us started LindaR. It is hard for me to believe it is mid-October, but..... Sorry you had customer service problems and your town is losing that nice local pharmacy. You are quite right about nothing going down LindaR. So far this year our property taxes, sewer, electricity rate, etc. have increased. Fortunately, they weren't too high to start with, but......

Enjoy your GS' game tomorrow Marijane. Glad you have some colorful trees there.

DD finally heard from her doctor this morning -- and it was good news. No cancer, etc. She needs to be re-checked in three months. One of her ovaries is bad off, but the doctor said that she didn't need to have it removed unless she had terrible problems. Fingers crossed that she doesn't have those sorts of problems, and doesn't need that surgery.

Hope you have a fun weekend Kathleen. It is cool in the mornings here, but it still gets up into the 80's during the day. We had a little rain this morning, which was a surprise.

Sorry you aren't having the beautiful Fall colors there Arlene. That is pretty nasty about the CVS moving in right near the local pharmacy.

Good to see you posting again Rosa. That is cute about Zumba -- I definitely would be following my own beat. Glad your weather is nice, and have a fun dinner with your cousin.

Happy you and your DH were able to find a new car you like twinny. Glad your brother and some of your Mom's neighbors are helping out with the drops. Hope that your Mom gets some good news at the eye doctor next week.

Waves to Jean, Susan, Gayle, Karen, Nancy, Sonya, Val, Kathy, Gina, Jules, and all of our posters and readers.

DH and I went to the travel club this morning, and there was a very good presentation about Japan. As a lady was telling me after the meeting, you can sort of transport yourself there in your mind even if you are unlikely to travel there. The presenter love the food, and I know that Japanese food isn't something I would enjoy much (no sushi for me for sure), but his enthusiasm was great.

After the travel club, we stopped by the library to pick up a DVD I had on reserve, and drop off a couple of books for their book sale. Then we went to the grocery store and Wal-Mart. DH was having trouble with his pants being too tight, and we managed to find a new pair of cargo pants (his favorites) for $20. That made me happy.

Off to Curves now.

Have a good evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda