Honored Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT (Sunday, Jan 13th)

Hello to all who post in this thread.  My goodness am I ever petered out.  I decided I was going to start taking down the Christmas decor this morning.  I wish I could tell you when I started that but I feel like Alice crawling out of the rabbit hole.

My basement stairs have a storage area under them.  I have a rubbermaid footlocker of sentimental things in there, Christmas decor, my Barbie collection, a tall box, my clarinet from grade school and another box of things X-files and Scooby Doo related.  Oh yea, my wreaths for the front door are in there too.

Anyway, as I started to remove the empty containers for the Christmas decorations I had the thought, maybe I should look at what's in these containers (more like the cardboard boxes I couldn't see in).  That's when, like Alice in Wonderland, I fell down the rabbit hole for a few hours.

I noticed a musty basement smell and said, what the?  I don't ever recall any water in the basement anywhere near the staircase.  We did have some extreme rain a few years ago that seeped into the basement however it never got as far as the stairway from the basement to the kitchen.

Suffice it to say, I tossed my Xfiles magazine and book collection.  I also tossed the Scooby Doo small activity book collection.  I looked in the tall box and found the beaded bodice of my wedding gown and my husbands karate white jacket thing he wore back in the day.  Pitched both of those.  Found a nice crocheted afghan that didn't smell, put that aside.  Tossed the coordinating handmade pillows because I don't know anyone who ever used those kinds of pillows.  Barbie and the clarinet were cool.

I went into my footlocker.  Apparently after Ma died, when my sister gave me a couple of things from Ma, I overlooked that the small box Ma wrote my name on was musty.  I popped it into the footlocker which musted (not a word) some of what was in there.

I took pictures of precious things (nick nacks from when I was really little, my favorite toddler red keds sneakers and the last pair of white baby shoes I wore) and then pitched them.  Good Lord, the cards I shredded - 2 garbage bags full.

I will be able to recycle any associated cardboard and the magazines, books.  Still, I am up to 2 black (full) garbage bags.  Usually I only make enough garbage for 1 black garbage bag.

I'm tired now and will not be doing anything with the Christmas stuff.  There is always another day Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT (Sunday, Jan 13th)

Bernie---I am super proud of you. Now, if I could catch the same motivation. I did a trash bag of effort yesterday but today, I have been vegetating except for making a run to the supermarket around the corner.

I was just thinking that we go through phases of things that we like and keep items as 'collectibles." Stored away, they gradually become forgotten as we enter into another phase of things we like or items that belonged to someone important to us. I have several things here that need to go, such as my mother's old apron. I really don't need it to remember her. As you said, photos can work just as well.

I work 4 days definitely this week so I've been resting today as I haven't been feeling the best. Part of me wants to blame it on the exercise I've been doing each day. I normally do well on 6 to 7 hours of sleep but last night, I slept almost 9 hours.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I have a thing about smells.  It bothered me to pitch the little nicknacks and my toddler shoes.  It's funny how some things took on a smell while other things were just fine.

Motivated by the activity in the basement, I went into the bedroom closet where I store my clothing, shoes and even more precious things, lol.  I almost tossed my wedding veil and then I said, nah, Ma bought that.  I bought my own dress so it was easier to pitch that.

I had more greeting cards from lets say, 2004?  I decided to save the last cards I received from those who have gone ahead of me to heaven.  I realized I didn't need every card each person ever gave me.  Believe me, at one point I had my communion cards from my grandmothers and that happened in 1969 or 1970 I think.

Speaking of communion, I was so glad that my purse, prayer book and gloves I wore on that day were fine.  My hands were so tiny  Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

My family always wanted assurance from me that I would  keep all the things they had received. Well, I did plus all my memories from high school. I still have a glass that was given to each participant who was selected to perform in a State Band at a state event. The glass has the event name and year. I was a senior in high school, so that should give an idea of how ancient this thing it.  

I realze that my nieces really don't care about this stuff that much and the making up of the new will should fmake me realize that I really need to clear out some of my "treasures" I've been keeping.  It is really hard for me to let things go and that includes clothes that I can still wear...but I still like to get new ones.

I did two 30 minute sessions of exercise today. At least, I got that accomplished.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I certainly can understand why you are worn out.  When I was about to move here, I took out my Christmas decorations only to find that several had that musty smell.  I ended up throwing out the cardboard boxes and putting those that didn't smell nasty into plastic containers.  Also threw out quite a few.  In addition, I gave aways several nice things (Freecycle).  I didn't think about taking pictures before I got rid of things, and that would have been a good idea.  I think the emotional impact was the most difficult part for me.  

Hi Jean.  Glad you will be working this week, but sorry you aren't feeling that great.   I wonder if you might be overdoing the exercise a bit.  The other day a lady next to me on the elliptical machine told me that she had had a pacemaker inserted about three years ago, and the doctor told her not to get her heartrate up too high.  I thought that was interesting. 

Fortunately, my family didn't ask for promises to keep things, but I still have quite a few items that I just keep for sentimental reasons. One of my grandmothers painted some china, so I kept several pieces, and I kept the glass bowl my brother and I gave to my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary.  And, many more things that I am pretty sure will be tossed or donated when I pass.  

I read an article about how people are donating a lot more stuff lately, and some have said that the Marie Kondo shows were good motivation for shedding their excess.  I have three bags ready to go to the thrift store, but I keep looking for more items to add to the pile.  

Church went longer than usual today, and I was later than normal getting tot he gym.  I didn't have lunch until late, and I was pretty hungry.  Fortunately, nothing too difficult on my schedule -- just ironing and a bit of cleaning.   

I'm a bit worried about two of my grands who need to be out on the snowy roads this afternoon/evening.  Really hope they will be okay.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Good job on getting the 3 bags ready for donation. I think each person needs to find the decluttering techniques that work for them but Marie Kondo does work for many.

As to the exercise, I was told by the cardiologist to get in 60 miinutes a day and also what my maximum heart rate should me. I've never exceeded it. Right now, I have all kinds of energy and am not tired, so time will tell. I do know I have to take iron as I'm deficient on it. I just pace myself on everything I do. There is no way I coculd do an all day effort like Bernie did. That type of work usually gets to me after a couple of hours.

Esteemed Contributor

I know how much Bernie and Twinny  love their snow. This is a pic of the city to which I often go but cancelled my plans yesterday.

pkbsnow.jpg

If city streets are like that, then the crooked country roads leading to it would have been a challenge especially when the ice hit on top of the snow.