Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT--Saturday

Hi girls! It's a hot, sunny day out; I'll take the dogs for a ride later, when it's cooler - I have to return something to Walmart and it's far too hot to leave them in the car while the sun is out. 

My crazy doggy girls...it was hot, so first Autumn, then Honeybun, decided to take a dip in the fish pond to cool off.  So,I filled the pool that I have for them...and it was totally ignored. When I tried to lift them into it, they acted as if I was killing them!  Cat Frustrated

LindaR, it's good to see you - I was just thinking about you.

Well, for all that Mark is an annoying little man he does do good work and at a good price; he got the air ducts repaired, my a/c up and going again, and the back yard fence repaired, plus a few smaller jobs, for $80. He still has to get the pool pump fixed and the pool cleaned out and ready to fill (hopefully later this week), the roof repaired, the fallen basement wall that goes around the edge removed, and the back porch screens replaced.  We did go to Lowe's - he has a newer van because his car blew up and the ac doesn't work in the van, so I figured it would be OK (smell wise) since all the windows were open and he hasn't had it long enough to let the odor really sink in. I wouldn't let him smoke while I was in it, so...he light up a cigarette while filling it with gas.  (sigh)  Oh well...within a couple of weeks he'll be out of the way, barring any needed repairs, which hopefully won't be for a long time. I did recommend him to two people in town who needed a handyman; as I said, he does good work - it's just that some of his personal habits (like his constant hacking and coughing, then spitting) that drive me up a wall.

My last remaining uncle is in the hospital; I'm not sure what's going on - he's around 90.  His daughter and I keep in touch, but he ignores me since finding out I'm no longer Catholic. It used to bother me that won't have anything to do with me, even claiming he didn't get my letters, but...his loss. (shrug)   After him there's only one aunt (not blood related) left...sad to think of them all being gone, especially since I didn't even know most of them and I have cousins I didn't know existed. Cat Sad

My Florida cousin posted this on her FB wall, and I thought it was a sweet idea; I'm going to share it with my vet:

I don't know if it was she abrupt change in temperature in the house from hot to cool or what, but after Mark left yesterday I just crashed. I had intended to nap for an hour or so then get some homework done, but I slept for hours, then had to force myself to get up and feed the critters; I was too tired to do anything else. 

Any NCIS fans here?  The last episode of the season sure had a surprise ending... Cat Surprised (I don't have TV but watch it on my tablet with the CBS app.) 

Those are cute shoes, Bird. I've reached a point where I pretty much stick to brand names that I know are comfortable (Clark's, Naturalizer, Rockport), or else wear new shoes around the house for a couple of hours to see if they're OK, but that doesn't always work. I've had to give away a couple of pair of Naturalizers because they hurt my feet, so I won't buy them again - they must have changed something in production. I had another pair (I forget the brand) from years ago, and they were so comfy I wore them out...something I rarely do. I was happy to find an identical pair - same brand - and bought them; from day one they were awful! (I think the company changed the last or something.)   I'm returning the sandals I got to Ross as they're uncomforable; I really don't need any more...although I could have swore I had more black ones.  I know I gave one pair to the missions closet, but...

I think the Boy Scouts decorate graves at the veterans' cemetery here; I know they do at the cemetery where my former husband is buried. It's a nice tradition.  The only grave I'd care to decorate is that of my favorite aunt - the first wife of the sick uncle - but it's in NY. I sure wish I could visit it...it makes me sad to think that no one does, since the rest of the family moved to Michigan a few years after she died.  Cat Sad I still miss her...

I'm praying for you, LindaL. 

My housebound neighbor did have her first cataract surgery yesterday; another neighbor who helps her out a lot said it went well. If I get a burst of energy make I'll cook or bake something for her...but right now I have to get homework started.

Have a blessed day, everyone! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT--Saturday

Wow, the skies have opened up over me and we are getting pounded. First I hear some low deep grumbles of thunder then the wind came up and now it's pouring.

@FunkyHulaGirl

Arlene I realized Mark works in his own time space continuum, lol, however he sure did alot of work for $80.  I'm sorry your uncle is ill.

Love the idea of the candle and poster at the vet's office.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise