Respected Contributor

I haven't posted in a while---have been popping in and out.  My area was pummelled by the rains and flooding---that made the national news.  I am well---and dry---I had gone to bed and slept through the worst of the nine inches of rain that fell.  I knew it was lightening.  It wasn't until daylight and I looked out that I could see how bad it had been. Memorial Day is historically a very bad weather weekend.  Lots of damaging weather.  Last year it was in Kathleen's area that was so heavily damaged and the loss of life.

Please take a moment to pause and remember those who served us and those who continue to serve.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT--Saturday

Hi everyone! LindaR - thanks for getting us started this morning.  I can't imagine getting 9 inches of rain at one time.  I live in a semi-desert area and there was one year we didn't get 1 full inch of rain for the entire year!  Twinny - how's your friend that fell?

I'm sitting here at the computer procrastinating.  I have chores to do, but I'd rather sit here and drink my tea.  I need to clean out goat pens, and do some gardening.  Then I need to continue the major clean-out of my bedroom.  I knew that job would take a full week, and I think it'll be even longer than that.  At least I've made good progress.  I also want to order some flowers for my DD's birthday that will be on Monday.  She says that she's worn-out and stressed from doing clinical rotations at the animal hospital...and she's not the type of person to get easily stressed or exhausted.

I find the act of decorating graves for Memorial Day really sweet, but honestly, it's not something that I'm familiar with, having grown up in southern CA.  In what parts of the country do you think it's more prevalent?

Hope you all have a nice Saturday.  ~  Charlene

Respected Contributor

After being in severe drought for years "El Nino" has hammered us this year.  An area about 3o miles from me got over 15 inches of rain in the same period---Sadly there was some loss of life.   I river was to have crested about noon---it was high when I went over it yesterday but I have seen much worse.

Happy birthday to your DD!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started LindaR.  I'm glad you are safe -- that is certainly a tremendous amount of rain.  I did see stories about it on the news.  I hope that your neighbors will be okay as well. So sorry to hear of the loss of life nearby.

I am remembering those who served and are serving now in our armed forces, including Kathleen's DD and my DGS as well as those in the family who served in the past.  Today is the fifth anniversary of my brother's death, and I'm thinking of him and his family.  

Sorry about your DD's stress and tiredness, Charlene.  I hope she enjoys her birthday and the flowers you are sending.  A week would be a short time for me to clean out my bedroom, unfortunately.  But, I am making progress in my de-cluttering.  I went to the storage room yesterday, and found a couple of more things to donate today (the thrift shop just picked things up).  I also brought home some of DH's boots (which he no longer wears), and some more of my winter clothing.  I just have a few more clothing items there, and I'll be able to donate the clothes rack.  I have so much more to sort through before I can give up the storage room as I am hoping to do when the lease is up (October).  It may not happen, but I am pretty determined to at least make a dent in the "stuff".

When I was growing up in the DC suburbs, decorating graves on Memorial Day was a big deal.  We would to go to a florist, and buy flowers to place on the graves of our relatives who were buried in the area.  Some in Arlington National Cemetery and others in different cemeteries.  

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, Bernie, snicks, Essie, butterfly, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Barbara, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

I have been pretty busy this morning -- started the laundry, have dinner (pepper steak) in the crockpot, changing linens, etc.  And, I was also busy cleaning up DH's messes.  I really would like to take a walk, but I need to see if he is willing/able.   It is supposed to reach the low/mid 90's today and sunny.

Hope everyone has a nice Saturday!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Hey girls, good to see you LindaR @kittyfan

I was up early and caught an infomercial for Cize - an dance exercise routine.  I'm thinking about ordering it.  I need to tone up.

AM Style was fun until my ION channel and sub channels (QVC and HSN) blacked out.  Looks like everything is back to normal now on the TV.

I cut the front grass, came in and cooled off and then went out and did the back grass.  One of the downsides of being a pale natural redhead - all that activity in 80 some degree weather and my face gets red as a beet, no matter how much water I drink.  I'm trying to regulate the color in my face before I run out for a pizza.  

I think we are expecting rain this weekend.  Strong wind scares me silly so I hope we don't get any of that.

@cerb   Is Dottie still hanging in with us?  How is she feeling?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi @LindaLatte  We must have been typing at the same time.  You are making good progress decluttering.

The other day I found a pair of Cobb Hill sandals that I realized I don't wear much.  Not a high heel or anything and adjustable in 4 places.  

Sorry the pic is so big

So I wore the sandals to work on Wednesday.  My company leases a building along the riverwalk in downtown Detroit so I decided to take a stroll.  I was not rushing, it was leisurely.  I was darn near hobbling back to the office.  Those shoes gave me a boo boo on each achille tendon, a blister on my baby toe and a red mark on another.

Suffice it to say, I entered the house at the end of the day, took each shoe off at the kitchen garbage can and dropped them in.  

I've made it to my age without corns, callouses and bunions.  Not about to start now.

One less pair of shoes in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--Thank you for starting the thread. I had seen the flooding on TV. Truly devastating; it is good that you are not extremely affected.

Charlene--I'm sorry that DD is exhausted from the animal hospital rotations. I'm sure the flowers will give her great lift for her birthday. Decluttering is a slow process but you will get it done.

Linda--Decorating family graves is still very much a big thing here. In addition to Memorial Day, some also do it on Christmas. Some have been overheard to remark about some graves without flowers and the lack of people remembering them.

Bernie---Those shoes looked so cute. I am sorry that they mistreated your feet. They deserve being discarded either at a donation center or the trash.

I went to the cemetary 20 miles away yesterday evening after school to put flowers on my parents' graves, my grandmother and husband, and aunt and uncles. Monday, I'll likely to to the cemetary where my brother and wife are buried along with a nephew.

I made a run to the city this morning for a chiropractic appointment for a final tune up before the trip. I raided WalMart for groceries and a coffeemaker to replace the onethat is dying.

My Echo has arrived but I will wait to set it up. Right now, I'm tired from the 120 mile trip this morning so I want to relax with my mouser and Kindle. I'm in the midst of a novel called "The Butterfly Garden."

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Jean the sandals were barely worn, and I now remember why, lol.  The backstrap kind of cut my tendon and there was a small amount of blood on the leather which is why I didn't donate them.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon All, same weather as all week, brief storms then sun, then repeat, repeat.  Hoping Monday will be better for our Parade.

@kittyfanThanx for the start & nice to see you, sorry about your weather, seems the whole Country is having weird times

@Bird mama  2 of my offspring are redheads, so I fully understand the sun situation, they never tan, just get burnt.  Sorry about the shoes & you're right not worth the pain.

@LindaLatte, you continue to amaze me, don't know how you do it all & keep your sanity, God Bless You

@KonaKat, good job on the graves, it's a big to do here in the Chicago area also, cemeteries look so nice with all the flags in the breeze.

@cerb I think I have taken procrastion (sp?) to a new level I need to have my *** up against the wall to get moving, then I go like a tornado

Hope all have a safe & lovely week-end

Essie

Respected Contributor

Thank you for starting us Linda.  Our friend in Fayette Co got 12 inches, and another couple yesterday.  We noticed all the rivers were VERY high on the way to country home!

Memorial day was very special growing up. Our babysitter/adopted Gram taught us what it was all about and her GD on FB said that her family would be at the cemetary this weekend.