Honored Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Monday Jan 11th

I didn't see a thread - I hope this isn't a duplicate.  It's cold here and we are expecting a couple of inches of snow tonight.  My sister took her car to the dealer body shop and the cost (so far) is worse that she expected.  I'm giving her my versa to drive (why pay for a rental) and I'll be driving the Cricket (my 99 Camaro).  I used to drive Cricket 365 days a year (snow included) up until I bought the versa.  The commute tomorrow is going to be interesting for me.  I have all season radials on the Cricket and am debating putting her straight winter tires on the car tonight.  I have to tank her up since my gas station had all the pumps shut down on Saturday so I'll get a feel for the street tonight. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Monday Jan 11th

Good luck with the driving , Bernie. Coming from the land of ice and snow, I and most familiar with driving in slippery conditions. They do an excellent job of treating the roads in the twin cities. I bought a SUV to get through in the winter, since I had to be at school even if the schools were closed. 

Sorry about out your sisters accident. My oldest dds car was totaled in a rear end collision in November.

it is sunny in az today...not terribly warm, however.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie -  Thank you for starting is today, hope you don't have any problems tomorrow.   We are supposed to get some snow tonight, we'll see how that goes.  Of course I have a dentist appt. tomorrow about 45 min. from here, shouldn't have any problems.  I just have to put myself in winter driving mode and not summer.

Sydsgma -  Enjoy your weather, it will still be better than ours.

Not much going on here, I have bathrooms to scrub, but you see I am procrastinating on this board.  So, I will bid you all goodbye and do my scrubbing.  Have a good day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies, hope  you don't have any problems driving tomorrow Bernie.....my youngest first car he bought was a Camero..not sure of the year probably early 2000's....blac body ,black interior ....it was his baby.  He moved back to ME about a  year after he bought it and discovered that was not a car for ME winters....the following yr he sold it....I think it broke his heart to do so.

Good luck on your dentist apt Susan if you get snow.  I think they are saying we could get an inch or so.......how is you new doggie, I forget her name.

Barbara I am a chicken yo drive in the snow...if I see a flake come down I don't go out......I have been know to drop everything if I am in a store and see snow coming down and leave to get home.  Given a choice I'd rather snow than the  ic

I have been taking decos don most of the day...the tree is down and out by bottom of driveway waiting for town pick up.   I have two smaller ones(tabletop size) that I haven't undecorated yet  but hopefully will by tomorrow and they can get tossed out too.  I figured it took me more than a day to put everything up so I don't expect everything to be down in a day.  oNe of my kids will take all the containers,boxes down to the basement next time he comes up. 

tHat's my exciting day. Also went out to the store to pick up some salmon for supper.

Have a nice afternoon everyone.....Marijane

Trusted Contributor

Marijane -  My furbaby is doing well and settling in.  Her name is Katie, that is the name she came with, somehow the name fits her. 

Got my bathrooms cleaned and my downstairs floors swept, so I am ahead of the game for tomorrow.   Off to get supper started, have a good evening everyone. 

Respected Contributor

Oh being a southern gal I have little experience driving bad weather.

Nice you have a vehicle to help your sister out.
Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I didn't work today so I went to the city to deliver some things to Good Will and to check out cars.

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I do hope the weather doesn't get too badd. I've not used winter tires in years. I use the all weather tires but I'm  careful about what I get out in. I did have a very bad experience once when several inches fell quickly but the front wheel drive and tires gripped the snow covered roads een if it took me three hours to get home when it is normall an hour and fifteen minutes.

We are getting the bad weather also, and the timing couldn't be worse. I do have a car selected but haven't signed the papers. They wanted to know if I wanted to drive it home to make sure it was what I wanted. I didn't think that was necessary and came home in the old one which I just finished cleaning out. It is amazing what you find when digging in those hiding spots. Of course, the minute I got home, I saw the alert of one to three inches of the nasty stuff.

I called them but the salesperson wasn't in to let her know that I preferred not to pick up a new car in those conditions and suggested an alternate day. She was told to contact me if that was a problem. So far, I haven't received a call.  I did give them permission to run my credit reports, and when I got home, I received an alert that TransUnion had been contacted, so the farming out to banks has begun. I did have a pre-approval but the F&I person thought he might be able to do better than the 1.9% pre-approval I had.

The car originally cost $21,845 and was on sale for $20,345. I managed to whittle that down another $1,500 to the bottom line price before the trade in was applied.  Now, to go back this week to sign the papers, turn my old car in and pick up the new one.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello all. Thanks @Bird mama for starting us off today. Hope you don't get too much snow tonight. Glad you can loan your sister a car while hers is being repaired. Hope the repairs don't take too long, and the costs are not exorbitant.

@sydsgma1, at least you have some sun, it is cold and cloudy here, but the snow stopped Sat. evening and has not come back. Still a couple inches on the ground. Hope you are feeling as well as possible.

@PAlady, good for you getting your scrubbing and sweeping up done, I like it when I can get ahead of schedule.

@Genny1, and good for you in getting your main tree un-decorated and out for pickup. Your dinner of salmon sounds good. We had chili for dinner.

@kittyfan, I have to say I envy you not having to have experience in driving in bad snowy, icy weather. Wish I could say the same.

I spent my morning just doing to normal Monday stuff, picking up the house, doing laundry, etc., nothing exciting that is for sure. This afternoon, I decided to go buy new rugs, etc., for the downstairs bathroom and hallway (that had the drains back up, I tossed everything that was there when that happened, was not about to clean that stuff, lol). Anyway, found some rugs, and also picked up paint samples as now I have decided to go ahead and repaint down there while I am at it. Haven't made any decision yet on which color paint I will choose, but will be letting it come to me. I have put the paint chips on the wall to look at for a few days. Nothing else going on here. Hoping everyone is well, safe and warm. Waves to all...

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat, how exciting, getting a new car. Hope it all goes smoothly and you enjoy your new ride.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  I wouldn't say it's cold in the house...but when I went to get the bottle of peanut oil so I could make lunch it was totally congealed.   Cat Surprised  I keep reminding myself that the Lord always provides, and this trial too shall pass.

Congrat on the car, Jean; what kind and color did you get? 

I haven't gotten much done today; Mondays are always pretty much a waste. I took a quick ride out to the PO as I'm expecting something important, but it hasn't arrived yet - guess I'm going out again tomorrow whether I want to or not. I did get a notice from the university saying I've been accepted into the MBA program, so that's one less concern. 

I have almost no experience driving in the snow since I didn't learn to drive until I moved to Hawaii.  The few times I had to go out in it it was obvious that people here freak out as soon as a single snowflake is sighted; add that to all the people talking and texting on phones and there's  no way short of a dire emergency that I would drive in snow.

Susan, I can understand the procrastinating!  I had intended to get the floors washed today, but maybe I'll leave it for tomorrow.  I think I'll change the bed tomorrow too, and put on my fleece sheets.  It's usually too warm for them, but then again, I don't have heat...

Well, I'm sitting next to the space heater so I'm pretty warm, although if I breathe out my mouth I see vapor.  Some day, I'll look back at all this and laugh! 

I had a very nice response from a prophecy scholar congratulating me on an insight I had while reading my Bible; he said it was something that never occurred to him (and I never read of it anywhere else) and he wants to discuss it further, so I'm feeling good about that. 

The basement is almost totally dry; Mark is back from Memphis on Wednesday and will look at the water heater then; I'm praying there's eitiher nothing wrong with it or (even better) it's under warranty and will be replaced. 

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening!

(OK, so it's not morning...deal with it!)