Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Monday 12/21

Spoiler

Opps: reread Cerb's posto.  Perhaps I was on the wrong page!.  She did say she was at church.!!

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. I just got home from work so I had not had an opportunity to see the TSV, so when I read your comment, I had to check to see what it was. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a negative number of interest to me.

Snicks--Glad you had a wonderful day yesterday. The effort is worth it when you have a payoff like you did of wonderful fellowship and food. Let us hope the clean up afterwards doesn't exhaust you and diminish the joy of yesterday.

Bernie--I am with you on not wanting to deal with the crowds right now. I hope I have enough in the house to last me until after Christmas. I definitely don't want to frequent the city during the day when all the returns will be taking place.

NanaLinda--Enjoy the music programs in which your grandson is participating. Music is an universal language that speaks to all regardless of age, etc.

Charlene--I had a laptop which fell and fractured the seat or whatever you call it that the charging cord hooks into. I had to have it sent away to have that unit replaced. It is frustrating. Don't apologize for complaining during the holidays. I think all the hype about how it is supposed to be such a joyous time, etc. makes even routine downers feel even more worse than they are.  It is hard to be patient when someone works at a much smaller pace than we do, but take comfort in knowing that you are still able to share activities with your mother. At the same time, it is natural to wish that she could work as fast as you

LindaR--It sounds as if you had a wonderful time at services and caroling as well as the visit with the couple celebrating their 49th. It is warm here also despite the rain. In fact, the temperatures are expected to be ten to fifteen degrees higher than the record high for Christmas.

Jennifer--I lost my mother 24 years ago. It hasn't been quite the same since then. Life does go on with great memories but being able to share things like we did is long a thing of the past.

I quit expecting Christmas to be like that of others a long time ago. I create my own special moments and activities. Other than nieces and their children who live at a far distance, I am the last surviving member of my family.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I haven't been online in awhile.  I can honestly say that this holiday season, I have watched practically zero QVC.  Everytime I tune in, it is a flashlight item, computer item or camera.  I tend to watch more clothing and jewelry but really haven't seen much of that. 

Cerb, I could relate to your holiday frustration.  That was me 2 or 3 years ago.  After considerable compromise, bickering etc my husband and I keep Christmas to just us 2.  I will include and/or visit family for birthdays, Thanksgiving or any other occasion and that has really kept me  sane.

I probably shold post this question on the beauty forum but since many of you watch I will ask here.  Has anyone used the hair color product for root growth that QVC sells?  If so, what is the product name and did you like??

Gayle

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle--I was tempted to try the Joan Rivers root cover up product but never did. You might want to ask on the Beauty Forum also.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. I just got home from work so I had not had an opportunity to see the TSV, so when I read your comment, I had to check to see what it was. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a negative number of interest to me.

Snicks--Glad you had a wonderful day yesterday. The effort is worth it when you have a payoff like you did of wonderful fellowship and food. Let us hope the clean up afterwards doesn't exhaust you and diminish the joy of yesterday.

Bernie--I am with you on not wanting to deal with the crowds right now. I hope I have enough in the house to last me until after Christmas. I definitely don't want to frequent the city during the day when all the returns will be taking place.

NanaLinda--Enjoy the music programs in which your grandson is participating. Music is an universal language that speaks to all regardless of age, etc.

Charlene--I had a laptop which fell and fractured the seat or whatever you call it that the charging cord hooks into. I had to have it sent away to have that unit replaced. It is frustrating. Don't apologize for complaining during the holidays. I think all the hype about how it is supposed to be such a joyous time, etc. makes even routine downers feel even more worse than they are.  It is hard to be patient when someone works at a much smaller pace than we do, but take comfort in knowing that you are still able to share activities with your mother. At the same time, it is natural to wish that she could work as fast as you

LindaR--It sounds as if you had a wonderful time at services and caroling as well as the visit with the couple celebrating their 49th. It is warm here also despite the rain. In fact, the temperatures are expected to be ten to fifteen degrees higher than the record high for Christmas.

Jennifer--I lost my mother 24 years ago. It hasn't been quite the same since then. Life does go on with great memories but being able to share things like we did is long a thing of the past.

I quit expecting Christmas to be like that of others a long time ago. I create my own special moments and activities. Other than nieces and their children who live at a far distance, I am the last surviving member of my family.

Yes, Konakat loss does change the holidays. I am trying to accept the changes but it's so hard. Thank you for your kind words.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry to be late in posting, but it has been another busy day. 

Thanks for getting us started Susan.  I like COSTCO, particularly since they have some things at better prices than most anywhere else.  But, the closest store isn't all that close to me, so I don't usually go more than every three weeks or so.  The next time will be after Christmas for sure.  I went to Wal-Mart today, and it was mobbed.  I did find some ham steaks (just one pound of boneless/skinless ham) which will be the bases for our Christmas dinner.  I already have yams, etc.

So happy your gathering went well yesterday, snicks.  That certainly helps makes preparations worthwhile.

Hi Bernie -- I don't blame you for not rushing to the stores -- it is pretty bad out there.  My oldest DGS is quite busy at Macy's.  

Enjoy the Christmas concert NanaLinda -- looks like we have somethings in common (grandmothers named Linda.)

So sorry for all that you are going through Charlene.  I sort of was in the same mindset yesterday when I said it wasn't a holly/jolly Christmas for me this year.  I know that I am blessed in many ways, but there are times when you are disappointed, unhappy when everyone is "supposed" to be jolly.  Glad you and your DD are joining your Mom -- I'm sure it means a lot to her.

Sounds like you had a good time at that new house yesterday, LindaR.  I enjoy seeing some of the house tours on TV -- people can be very creative in their house furnishing, etc.   I don't know what Charlene meant by scrip either, I thought it meant prescription.

I miss my Mom as well Jenniferjuniper.  She passed away 17 plus years ago.  Although we did not do baking together -- she wasn't much of a cook, but still a very good Mom.  Sorry for your loss.

Glad you were able to work today, Jean since you enjoy the children so much (at least most of the time.)  I think you do a great job of making the best of life, regardless of setbacks.  An inspiration to me.

Good to see you posting Gayle.  I hope you and your DH have a nice Christmas.  I have no idea about that product, sorry.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, spix, and all of our posters and readers.

I had strong bones workout this morning, and then another lady tried to show me a few yoga moves.  I say try since I don't seem to be able to get things right.  Oh well.....  I have decided that I will only lead the class one day a week in February.  I volunteered to do two days a week in January, but I'm already dreading the scheduling issues.

After the exercise session, I came home and took DH to the podiatrist so he could get his new shoes.  They seem to fit, but he will just wear them at home to start so that can be returned if they do not work.  I am glad they told me to try this rather than have him wear them out when they could not be returned.  I never thought they could be returned regardless, but they were pretty expensive.

Then, DH and I took a short walk at a garden maintained by the garden club -- very nice, and went to the Wal-Mart mess.  

Yesterday, DH came with me when I went to the gym, and he did his machine after I finished up -- he did quite well.  

My SIL's dentist was able to fix up his tooth for $300 or so, which is a big relief.  And, middle DGS is feeling better (not perfect, but).  So, I think all is going pretty well with DD and family.

I plan to take a walk soon.  

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Super Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry to be late in posting, but it has been another busy day. 

Thanks for getting us started Susan.  I like COSTCO, particularly since they have some things at better prices than most anywhere else.  But, the closest store isn't all that close to me, so I don't usually go more than every three weeks or so.  The next time will be after Christmas for sure.  I went to Wal-Mart today, and it was mobbed.  I did find some ham steaks (just one pound of boneless/skinless ham) which will be the bases for our Christmas dinner.  I already have yams, etc.

So happy your gathering went well yesterday, snicks.  That certainly helps makes preparations worthwhile.

Hi Bernie -- I don't blame you for not rushing to the stores -- it is pretty bad out there.  My oldest DGS is quite busy at Macy's.  

Enjoy the Christmas concert NanaLinda -- looks like we have somethings in common (grandmothers named Linda.)

So sorry for all that you are going through Charlene.  I sort of was in the same mindset yesterday when I said it wasn't a holly/jolly Christmas for me this year.  I know that I am blessed in many ways, but there are times when you are disappointed, unhappy when everyone is "supposed" to be jolly.  Glad you and your DD are joining your Mom -- I'm sure it means a lot to her.

Sounds like you had a good time at that new house yesterday, LindaR.  I enjoy seeing some of the house tours on TV -- people can be very creative in their house furnishing, etc.   I don't know what Charlene meant by scrip either, I thought it meant prescription.

I miss my Mom as well Jenniferjuniper.  She passed away 17 plus years ago.  Although we did not do baking together -- she wasn't much of a cook, but still a very good Mom.  Sorry for your loss.

Glad you were able to work today, Jean since you enjoy the children so much (at least most of the time.)  I think you do a great job of making the best of life, regardless of setbacks.  An inspiration to me.

Good to see you posting Gayle.  I hope you and your DH have a nice Christmas.  I have no idea about that product, sorry.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, spix, and all of our posters and readers.

I had strong bones workout this morning, and then another lady tried to show me a few yoga moves.  I say try since I don't seem to be able to get things right.  Oh well.....  I have decided that I will only lead the class one day a week in February.  I volunteered to do two days a week in January, but I'm already dreading the scheduling issues.

After the exercise session, I came home and took DH to the podiatrist so he could get his new shoes.  They seem to fit, but he will just wear them at home to start so that can be returned if they do not work.  I am glad they told me to try this rather than have him wear them out when they could not be returned.  I never thought they could be returned regardless, but they were pretty expensive.

Then, DH and I took a short walk at a garden maintained by the garden club -- very nice, and went to the Wal-Mart mess.  

Yesterday, DH came with me when I went to the gym, and he did his machine after I finished up -- he did quite well.  

My SIL's dentist was able to fix up his tooth for $300 or so, which is a big relief.  And, middle DGS is feeling better (not perfect, but).  So, I think all is going pretty well with DD and family.

I plan to take a walk soon.  

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Thank you LindaLatte for your kindness. Just want you to know that I admire how you are taking on the challenge of caregiving. I was my Mom's caregiver after her stroke (she was bedridden ) for a year and a half. It is a very hard job.You are in my prayers.

Jennifer

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  Well, I'm home from FedEx and the Post Office; gifts are all on their way and the recipients should have them by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. It's nasty out - not really cold, but there's a steady rain which makes it overcast and seem cooler than the 50s.  Unfortunately, it's going to be like this for the rest of the week...or so they say.

I was up late baking; I made cupcakes and a few of my famous rum cakes, the latter which had to be shipped today.  Earlier in the day I got a burst of energy and finally got around to going through my tubs of sweaters in the winter closet, as well as the purses.  I'm happy that I was able to empty two tubs of sweaters and tops, some of which will go to the missions closet, and the rest put up for sale; I also have about 15 purses (most never used) that I'm going to sell. I decided to take a break before I started baking and read "just a chapter or two" of the cozy I was reading and got so engrossed in it that time just flew by, so I got a late start on the baking. While the cakes were in the oven I got gifts wrapped and packed; I was so tired that near the end of the baking marathon I caught myself tossing the butter into the trash and putting the wrapped in the mixing bowl, so I figured I'd better call it a night - I'll finish the rest of the cupcakes today, and that's it for baking until next year.

Anyway, on my way home from today's errands I decided to stop by Cook Out, and I don't feel like cooking. Their burgers are excellent, but as a change I decided to try their chicken strips. Well, let's just say they're going to be getting a call at their customer service number tomorrow - they were abolutely awful - dry, with a thick, nasty coating. Guess I'll stick with their burgers. (The kitties liked the chicken, but...I'm still hungry myself.)

I so envy those of you who have moms (and dads) that you miss; I can't say I even have good memories of Christmas to see me through. My mother used to go all out on decorating, and people would tell me what a lucky little girl I was, but they didn't know about the hell behind the scenes...  There seems to be an expectation that everyone should be all "happy happy joy joy" at this time of year, but for many, the reality is very different.

Charlene, I feel your pain!  The same thing broke on my rather expensive laptop, and I went to Staples for an estimate on repairing it. They wanted $300 just to diagnose the problem!  I did get it fixed for $75 with a small, local guy. Then Autumn got excited when the technician from the ISP was here and knocked it out of his hands, breaking it again...this time it couldn't be repaired; the local guy glued it so I can use the computer, but I can't close the lid and have to be very careful as it's quite fragile.  Because of school I can't be without a computer and got a nice Acer laptop at Walmart for $200.  My point is, before you spend a lot on repairs, you might want to check Walmart.  As for all your other problems, sorry to hear it - sometimes I'm glad I don't have a family, as there are so many hassles, especially around the holidays. And as for the other thing....well, maybe it's the last one. Cat Wink I'll pray for you.  BTW, I'm also curious - what kind of script is sold at a church?

Bird -  ugh!  Don't remind me!  Almost every month I got so sick they had to put me in a cab and send me home from work.  I don't miss that in the least.  In fact, I was so miserable for so many years I often prayed that one day they'd just stop and I wouldn't go through the hell of menopause...and God was good; that's exactly what happened - I never had so much as a single hot flash or night sweat.

Good to see you again, Gayle.  I don't watch QVC (don't have TV), but it seems that even stores pull out all kinds of junk at this time of year that you don't see otherwise.  If that stuff was so great, why not sell it all the time? 

I have grey at my temples, and find that Loving Care root touch-up goes a good job of covering it. The price is also reasonable.

Well, I'm totally exhausted; I'm going to take a nap, then get the cupcakes done.  Once they're delivered tomorrow I'm in for the rest of the week; I have no desire to fight the crowds and participate in all the madness - thank goodness I don't need anything at all from the stores. Amazon messed up - they credited part of my refund to my debit card, and part back to a gift card, which annoys the heck out of me, as I hadn't planned to do any shopping with them for a while, but I did find a good price on cat food so I ordered some. 

Hi to everyone I didn't mention; all of a sudden I can't keep my eyes open.

Have a blessed evening, everyone! 

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Girl, you got up with a bee in your bonnet. It sounds like you got so much accomplished today :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise