Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Monday 11/16

Hello friends! Another quiet day here. Twinny, I have you in my prayers knowing the road with your mom will not be easy.

I read a good story yesterday by Barbara Kingslover called Bean Tree. Loved it!

Made a practice run to the airport this morning.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Susan.  Glad your dinner was a success.  I am another one who often forgets something.  One year, I forgot the dressing/stuffing for the turkey.  I had cooked it separately, but.....  DD thought maybe I hadn't brought it out because she was watching her weight.  No, just dumb.  Hope your dental work wasn't too painful/expensive.  My SIL just wrote me about her dental surgery (don't know what she had done).  She had a reaction to the Novocaine, was having trouble with the antibiotic, and couldn't eat solid foods.  And, she even had to pay for the torture!  Bummer.

Hi snicks.  It was rainy here this morning, and our weather is changing to be more like Maryland.  That is not a good thing this time of the year.  It is only in the high 40's now and extremely windy.  Probably similar weather to what LindaR is having or will have.

Thinking of you twinny.  I hate waiting for those phone calls.  You are wise to take it one day at a time.  Prayers and hugs.

Sorry to hear about your pew sister's husband, LindaR.  You are certainly a good sport about helping at the church.  But, I wish others would step up to help you and the few who do so.

I can't remember what I shared yesterday, but DH had problems at the gym.  And, today, he was having trouble walking from the parking lot to the Wal-Mart.  However, on the way back to the car, he was fine.  Not only that, he was able to open the car door, get in the car, and close the door.  I never know what will happen, but this pleases me a lot.  I do love my Clarisonic, but no need for new ones.

Glad that sleep study is over Jean.  Imagine getting six calls to sub like that.  As you said, if you were home you probably would have received no calls.  Happy you were able to re-schedule the appointment.  They are certainly keeping you busy going to the doctors.  Same is true for DH.  Thanks for the movie reviews.  

I need to go back to have an eye exam tomorrow since the eye exam must be done 90 days or less before renewing your driver's license, and it has been slightly more than that.  I will be going tomorrow after the senior lunch program.  What a drag.  The clerk suggested I talk to the supervisor to see if I could get my license for more than a year.  I have no clue why this is true since my eyes were not harmed by my accident June before last.

Hi Bernie.  Glad your weather is nice.  That jacket is my style as well, but no need for more jackets here.   Hope you enjoy it if you do order.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Karen, Marijane, Charlene, Barbara, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Surprisingly enough, there were three new ladies at strong bones this morning.  The room is getting a bit small for our group.  

My SIL finished his outpatient therapy, and he is doing better.  My oldest DGS is working at Macy's Thanksgiving evening -- 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. the next day.  Then, he goes back after a few hours.  He isn't unhappy since he will be paid time and one-half for twelve hours.  Apparently, they are using him as an unofficial "bouncer" to help the female associates deal with unruly customers.  I never realized that male customers would give the female clerks such a hard time, but.... DGS is tall and I guess just asking if there is a problem was good enough to get at least one of those creeps to leave.  He is also helping with heavy boxes, etc., as well as selling in the men's department.  

I want to take a walk now -- I'll be wearing a warm jacket for sure, and maybe even a hat.  

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I loved that book as well, Kathleen.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--One of the difficulties of the disease DH has is the unpredictability of episodes as well as intensity. I know you are a strong person but it is difficult to be strong and supportive at times when taxed physically and emotionally to the max. Hang in there!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

You ladies can call me the shopping queen today!  After waiting 3 hours for my phone call I finally called them back.  I got things done quickly so DH & I headed to a town 45 minutes away for some shopping fun.  I haven't had this much fun since I went to the QVC Outlet stores 6 days in a row last month.  Today at Kohl's I bought an all seasons comforter that I have had my eyes on for a while.  The original price was $299 but it was 1/2 price & I also had a 30% off coupon plus $5.00 cash.  I also bought two nice wreaths in the shape of stars to hang inside  on our 2 front doors at Christmas.  They were about $7.00 from orig. $29.99.  Then I went to Joann Fabrics & bought the cutest white owl to put by our Christmas tree as I have a forest theme.  Since we didn't have a lot of time, lunch was at Wendy's 4 for $4.00 shared as we had a big dinner tonight.  DH got gas for $2.09 so he filled up the Subaru for $23.00.  We  stopped to see mom on the way home & she was very pleasant & didn't keep telling me that she didn't like what was going on.  JEAN, Hopefully your sleep study went well today.  I can't sleep on command so I would be a bad candidate.  BIRD MAMA, Our weather has been very nice too but rain tomorrow all day but still upper 50's.  LINDA L, Prayers for you too as it is surely one day at a time for you too.  DH lost a piece of a tooth last night at dinner so an appt is in the cards for him as a cleaning for both of us.  As much as we have been struggling with mom for a few years now, our dad was always laid back & always said that when his time was up, he hoped that he went quickly as his dad suffered for a long time.  He went to the oral surgeon for a tooth removal so he could get a bridge put in.  As soon as he was given the novocaine, he lost all vital signs & was dead  6 hours later.  The next day the surgeon called mom to see how dad was & she had to give him the horrible news just 2 weeks before Christmas.  I am so not liking it dark before 5:00 p.m.  It seems like it should be bed time as soon as we eat dinner.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It was another nice day, weather-wise. The dogs hadn't been out in a couple of days, so I went to Dollar Tree and Aldi. I had gotten one of those flame lighters at Dollar Tree for candles and it wasn't working, so I had to get another; while I was there I found they had buffalo bones.  Since dog bones are expensive I got all that they had (20); the best price I've ever seen on Amazon was $1.29, although they're usually considerably more. I assumed they were cow bones, and when I checked the package to make sure they weren't from China saw they were imported from India...well, you know how they are with sacred cows, so I checked the package further and saw they were buffalo. Anyway, the kids are happy, and these will last for a while as they don't get them often. 

I just needed eggs at Aldi, but someone left a cart in the parking lot so I took it just for the heck of it.  Big mistake!  I ended up getting a gallon of peanut oil (they have it maybe twice a year at a steal of a price) and a number of things for small gifts, as well as a large canister of three diffrent kinds of gourmet popcorn.  From there I went to the Christian store to get a few tracts and visit with my friend who works there; I've now got a lasagna in the oven.

It actually seems warmer outside than it does in the house. The nights are a bit chilly, so last night I changed the bed and swapped out a quilt for a comforter, and got out some flannel sheets. It's early for the latter, but I was finding that when I moved my feet at night to a "new" part of the sheets they were cold.  Bird, I thought of you went I went to bed - the sheets I now have on are a cute bird design. 

LindaL, my heart goes out to you - that must be so difficult.  I continue to pray for you.  You too, twinny - praying you make the best decisions for all involved. 

Oh, dentist bills...I joke that I really do have a "million dollar smile," because my mother was too enamored of her money to spend it on a dentist.  (She had plenty...)  Cat Frustrated

Jean, I can't imagine going to sleep when I'm told to; I imagine it would be much like being told to pee in a cup on command.  Cat Wink

Glad to hear your dinner went well, Susan. I haven't had a dinner party in years, and I so enjoy them.

LindaR, I see another "exercise" is being planned for your town...

I did receive the bird seed and the cat scratchers from Amazon, but another package is being shown as "Expected delivery 11/13."  I don't know what's happening with them lately, but I did send them an email to complain.  Their customer service is very good; in the past I've gotten credits to me account because of problems, so we'll see if they want to keep me happy. 

Dinner calls; hi to everyone - have a blessed evening! 

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I am so with you on the time change; the evenings seem so long with the limited time to do things in light after work if working.Time just seems to drag in the long dark evening. You've earned a right to a shopping spree and it seems that you are using good judgement. Glad your mother was in a more cooperative frame of mind today.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.