Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Monday 1/18

@LindaLatte

Linda, it's only natural for you to supervise the aid a few times.  I know I would have been watching her like a hawk myself, lol.

Good luck with DH's root canal.  That's one dental procedure that never bothers me.  Then again, when I need a root canal it's because the nerve has gone and I'm in so much pain I want to put my head into a wall.  I amek the endodontist show me the nerve (s).  They are fiber optic thin but I need to see and I mean really see that they are out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention last week that I received my stately steel necklace.  This is the one that went on sale, I used spendable cash and the $10 coupon on so it cost me very little.

I like it - lots of look and doesn't feel like an anchor around my neck.

Stately Steel Stainless Steel Pendant w/Multirow Cord

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--That necklace is lovely; you made a great choice and buy. I think it will be one that will be worn often....and that makes it a great purchase.

Linda--Good job on the Strong Bones workout. Also, the services you are getting for DH seem to be working out. I think I would have stayed and watched the first time or even periodicallyy be around to keep them on their toes.

Charlene--When that wreck happened, there were 17 other accidents in 30 miles on the highway I was traveling. It was in very cold temperatures and I had to wait an hour for the police to arrive as they were tied up with the other accidents. That experience really makes one resistant to venturing out in questionnable conditions.

No snow for tonight or tomorrow but because of the near zero temps and wind chill temps, school will be starting late tomorrow.

I'm watching the WEN show but managing resistance. I happen to be one of those who likes WEN.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Very pretty necklace.

I have a friend whose Sunday school class plans events once per month. Even yhough many no longer worship together they have remained friends. I am just an extra. We did meet at a ladies home. Had soup and salad. Then we colored. Next month it is brunch st another home. I have been to her home a few times. Only one lady has a spouse. Others are single either widowed, divorced, or never married. In Augurst there are three birthdays they celebrate. That is Cheesecake Factory.
Respected Contributor

Jean: I certainly would not venture out in adverse conditions I have seen the pictures of your roads and curves.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's COLD - both outside and in. It was hard to get out of bed with my nice, cozy fleece sheets, but the critters needed feeding and Mark called to say he'd be here around 4 to work on the water heater.  Well, it's past that already, but I'm learning to add at least an hour to any time that he gives me. I'm hoping and praying he can get it going; I hate to have to go out in the cold to take a shower at a friend's house tomorrow.  Of course, I'll have to run the space heater in the bathroom for a while to warm it up beforehand...

BTW, when I was at that woman's house the other night her sister came out of the shower shortly after I arrived and did something I never thought anyone does anymore:  she put her hair up in giant rollers, which she actually sleeps in!  Cat Surprised  I remember how horribly uncomfortable they were...

I've raised about 25% of the money I need for the new HVAC system, but some people said they'd rather send checks, which is fine with me.  Please pray the rest of it comes in SOON. 

As hard as it is for me to do that, it's a real need, unlike this stupid woman:

We've Exhausted Our Funds

As dumb as she is, even dumber are those who donated to her, especially since she said she's going to go back and do it again!  SMH...

I've had a few leather jackets; I had one I had gotten from QVC - I think it was Denim & Co.  It had stitching on it that made it look quilted, even though it wasn't, and twist-turn fastenings.  I wore that thing for years until I finally got tired of it.  I do have two leather jackets that I've never worn - they're going up for sale.  (Which is partly why I'm get annoyed with Mark - I can't get anything done while waiting for him...)

Good idea on postponing the doctors' visits, Jean - it's not worth the risk of traveling in bad weather.  I've never been to your state, but it was difficult enough in Hawaii on the twisty roads without snow, especially at night.

Snicks, my Autumn goes to the door when she needs to be let out, but she does her business as quickly as possible, then comes right back in!  Her fur is very thin on her stomach and I got her a sweater a few years ago, but you'd think I was killing her when I try to put it on, so it's never been used. Same with getting her nails trimmed.  Someone must have hurt her at one time, because I can't even touch her paws without her pulling them away and growling.

Glad to hear you have some help with DH, LindaL.

LindaR, I saw what my friend was doing with the coloring books the other night, and it looked like so much fun!  One of these days I'll have to get one for myself.

Charlene, I hope it doesn't cost much to get your laptop repaired.  New ones are so inexpensive I imagine that soon most people won't bother doing that anymore.

Well, I'm still waiting....I can't start taking pictures and posting things with someone underfoot.  I appreciate his helping me, but gosh...

Oh, I think I mentioned that I went to Lowe's to make an appointment to have someone come out and give me an estimate on an HVAC unit, but I have a feeling they're more expensive than anyone else.  Last night I chatted with someone on FB - her family runs a small, local HVAC company that was recommended by several people from the town's page; the price she "guesstimated" is about the same as the first guy I had - $3200 - but they seem to be genuine Christians.  He's going to come out on Wednesday to confirm the price.

I guess I'll make some tea while I "hurry up and wait." (sigh)  Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening! 

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--I think it is great that the friends continue to meet together and share activities despite no longer worshiping together. Those curves in our area can present a challenge in Winter.  Even straight interstates present their challenge. We had a traffic tie up because of a wreck when a tractor trailer hit an icy spot and lost it.

Arlene--I am very familiar with that road you often traveled in Hawaii. I had no problems with it simply because it was like our country crooked roads. Yours, at least, had light reflectors on the berms which ours don't.  I do hope Mark shows up to do the required work. I always get these people that show up late. Most of the time it is because a job elsewhere takes longer than they expected.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I have been popping in from time to time to catch up.  This time of year we are traveling more so I enjoy reading updates when I get home.

I, too, have done little shoppling lately.  I still have 2 gift cards from Christmas that I haven't tapped into.  Truth be known, this is unusual for me but I rather save them and get something I really need etc  vs. and impulse buy.

One of my siblings recently had genetic testing for cancer.  The results were relatively good except showing an increased percentage (10 percent) for colon cancer.  My doctor read the report and said she didn't want to be the one to make the decision on whether or not I should undergo genetic testing and with that she put in a referral for me to have it done.  Long story short, the insurance co. approved (which surprised me) and then I got referral and appt. details and discovered that if I had this testing done, I would have to drive 3 hours to have it done.  Mulling it over, based on a 10% increase in risk, I am opting to not go.  I am so proactive when it comes to healthcare and yet this seems like an overkill for 10%.  Anyway, just wanted to share.  +

Anyway, have a good evening everyone!  Gayle

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle--Saving the gift cards for a purchase you need is a good idea. I think you would appreciate and value the purchase more. Perhaps it is because I am so used to driving hours for appointments, etc. that I would find 3 hours acceptable as I have done that for appointments. This is a very personal decision, and something to be considered carefully as you have done. I would suggest a colonoscopy in its place.

Honored Contributor

@Gayle2

Gayle, I've never gone for genetic testing, but my risk for colon CA is greater because my Dad had it (even though that was not what took his life).  I had my first colonoscopy at 44 (right before I turned 45).  Apparently it was a good idea to start then as they like to get the first one done 15 years ahead the age that my father was when he developed colon CA.

I was supposed to be good for 10 years, but I think this year I will go in at the 8 year mark for another colonoscopy just to be on the safe said.