Honored Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Friday, June 3rd

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone and happy start of the weekend to you.

It's pretty outside today, sun is shining and it's shouldn't get above 81 degrees :-)

My pigeon Grayson did something to his left foot yesterday and is hobbling around.  I think he thinks I'm a pigeon or something that needs to be herded by him.  He has a tendency to want to bite at my naked feet when I am dressing each morning and we usually have an interaction that sounds like this:  Grayson, NO!  Coo, coo coo.  No Grayson. Coo, coo, coo.  I know I didn't step on his foot.  I think he got his toes tangled in my yoga pants as we were doing the usual "avoid the bite" dance. 

I noticed he was favoring the left foot before I left for work yesterday.  He was really hobbling when I got home from work.  No scratches, cuts and I can't really see any bruising.  Even pigeons have a pad on the bottom of their feet, like a cat or dog.

The middle of his foot (top and pad) seems a little swollen to me as compared to this other foot.  I tried to rest his foot gentle on a covered ice pack, then I tried a rubber water bottle filled with cold water and small ice cubes.  Too weird for him so that didn't work.

Finding help on the internet is frustrating.  I really think it's a sprain of some kind.  I'll watch him closely this weekend.

I am finally wearing my new Ugg shabooties today.  It took a week of working in mink oil and massaging the leather to soften the area around the ankle, but so far so good.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Friday, June 3rd

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Hope Grayson will be okay.  I know you are a wonderful bird mama, and will be watching him closely.  Glad your weather is nice, and hope the Uggs are comfortable.  Do you have a picture of them?  I have not heard of that term.

We are expecting very hot temperatures here today -- DH's caregiver said something like 105 today and 107 tomorrow.  And, she could smell smoke in the air, so there is probably a fire going on somewhere near here.  Fires are not uncommon here, unfortunately.  Usually, they do not burn "structures" -- homes/buildings, etc, but the smoke can be an issue as well as extinguishing the fire.

Hope Jean is getting settled in Branson, and has a great time there.  Waves to Kathleen (good luck with the job searches, etc.), Arlene, twinny, Susan, snicks, Essie, Marijane, Charlene, Rosa, Barbara, LindaR, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, butterfly, and all of our posters and readers.

Today is graduation day (high school) for my youngest DGS.  In the Fall, he will be attending a small college in VA, where he has lots of financial aid (based on academics, etc.) as well as the ability to play football.  Win, win for him.  

The caregivers meeting was great -- the other caregivers are very supportive, and one is even sending her DH to the same facility earlier in July for respite care.  Other ladies said they are very impressed with the facility, and my try it in the future.  

DH had a pretty good day yesterday, and I was able to get more sleep last night -- he got up three times, but I was able to get back to sleep.  I read an article on Facebook from a lady whose DH is dying from a brain tumor.  Her circumstances are different from mine in many ways, but she explained how she has been feeling over the course of his illness.  I realize that I was just in a very bad stage recently.  Hopefully, I will work through that feeling of hopelessness, sadness, and exhaustion, to a much better place.  Just thinking that made me feel so much better.  I'm probably not explaining it well, but.....

A hospice volunteer is coming here for two hours tomorrow morning, and I'm very happy about that.  If the weather isn't too bad, I'll take a walk, but I can always go to the gym or the pool, if not.  She may be able to help out other Saturday mornings, and what a blessing that would be.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends! Bernie, I hope Grayson gets back to normal quickly. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to find a vet to take care of him. My brother had a bunny for a while and it was horrible to try to find someone who had any knowlege at all.

More rain here today, no sidgn of it letting up. I need to take the dog for a walk.  She got a bath this morning so is not too happy with me. It was due - I'm not sure she's every been this long without one. 

DD emailed she needs some undies so I need to run to the mail today. Smiley Very Happy  That's about all that is happening here.  We will drive to country home tomorrow after he works a couple hours.

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte                             

I understand what you are saying and think that the emotions you are feeling are warranted giving what you and your beloved are going through.  I'd be worried if you weren't grieving about the changes DH is going through.  

I tend to make up words - Shabootie is my creation.  I guess the real name is peeped toe bootie.  I could see that name if the heel was closed in.  To me, these are a combo of sandal and bootie - hence Shabootie.

UGG - Audrey Exotic

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I had not heard of that word before either! I googled shabooty and couldn't find anything relating to footware but a lot of other things.  Smiley Very Happy

Linda I'm glad you are feeling better.  I'm sure you will have some down days. I have a new devotional book that I found at Cracker Barrel of all places; it had an anchor so I bought it and it's 365 Days of Hope.  I really like it. I'm not one to recommend books but for me it came to me at the right time.

Respected Contributor

Morning, & Thanx @Bird mama for the start, sorry to hear about Grayson, but knowing you, you'll have it figured out in no time & he'll be romping around soon.

@LindaLatte, I'm sure whatever thoughts you're having are very normal for caregivers, don't beat yourself up, just take it day by day & try to give yourself some me time, you're doing a super job!

Beautiful day again today here in ChiTown, got a lot accomplished yesterday, today will run out to the store, then back home to finish up the kitchen (floor) which is a no win situation, but it needs a thorough cleaning so will get out the steam mop, move out whatever I can to the deck & do it, should really be a hands & knees on the floor cleaning, but those days are long gone.

Hope you're all enjoying the day

See ya later

Essie

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - Bernie - thanks for getting us started today.  I hope that Grayson's foot gets better soon, I love your descriptions of his antics!  The company is so sensitive with it's linkedin message (not!).  I hope that your coworkers that lose their jobs will be okay.  Pinkyann - hope that your headache is gone and that your DH recovers well from his pneumonia.  Marijane - sorry about the flat tire, but glad to hear that it got taken care of.  We're had AAA for decades and it's been years since I needed it for anything, but my son used it twice this year.  Better safe than sorry is my motto.  Twinny - sorry that your friend passed away.  (((hugs))).  I also got 4 tomato plants put in.  Next week I will probably plant about 4 more.  When I transplant something, I cover them with folding lawn chairs to give them shade for the first few days.  Good thing, because it got very hot afterwards.  LindaL - congrats on your DGS's graduation.  Hope his college next fall is a good fit for him.

Love reading everyone else's updates too!  It finally got over 100 degrees yesterday so we turned the AC on for the first time.  I don't like hot weather, lol.  As I was reading about Grayson's sore foot I was reminded that one of our goats had a sore leg.  Her name is Sunshine, and she's a full sister to Rosie, the goat we put down last month.  Truth be told, Sunshine is my favorite goat.  She, her sister Rosie, and Rosie's daughter Daisy are our white goats, and for whatever reason, they have the sweetest dispositions.  Anyway, Sunshine favors her right front leg and I can't see anything obviously wrong with it.  Usually it would be a hoof problem, but that looks fine, so it's probably a sprain of some sort.

Well, my DD finally got the flowers I had sent for her birthday.  One of her roommates had gotten them and put them toward the back on top of the refrigerator and didn't tell her about them.  I'll give them the benefit of a doubt that they simply forgot...but why on top of the refrigerator, rather than the center of the table or something?  Odd.

Shopaholic reference - May was a good month for me, shopping-wise.  I did buy the QVC TSV power scrubber set that Jean also purchased.  I hope it works.  I've purchased a few other items, but overall, I've done okay.  Today I am going to go run a few errands, including dropping off clothes at the thrift store.  It's going to get very hot soon, so I need to get going.  I hope everyone has a safe day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, it will be around 80 today & tomorrow, then a week of 79's.  I hope that Grayson will be onb the mend soon.

LINDAL,  It is understandable about going through different emotions.  You are doing a difficult job with grace.  Getting thorough my "first" Easter, mother's day & Memorial Day all made me sad.  Then lots of other deaths has made it even more difficult.   I just try to live my life one day at a time.

SPIX,  We are having great weather to.  Wash is blowing in the breeze.

RC,   I hope that the rain ends soon.

DH had our bank meeting this morning.  The guy was on time & did give us some good financial advice.  Then it was off to the grocery store.  

Friends are coming soon & we are going to our favorite Italian restaurant.  Then back to play cards before we go downtown for cars on the square.  I hear that there will be 300 cars from 1915 to a 2016 BMW electric car.  Not buying just looking.

We are expecting rain tomorrow for "cows on the square" event.  A local wood carver did 16 (6') carved cows.  He is amazing.  We have a wedding tomorrow afternoon

One of these days I need to do something constructive in the house.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

LINDAL. I forgot to say congrats on your DGS's graduation & good scholarship. How wonderful.

CERB, That was a nasty place to put flowers.  I dislike anything hotter than 70 degrees.  lol.  DH & I might go on a mini vacation next week to a nice beach if it stays like this.

Honored Contributor

Hello everyone, thanks @Bird mama for the start. It's been cloudy here all day, but no rain till tomorrow. Sorry Grayson has a hurt foot. Hope it heals up quickly. I am glad to hear your Uggs are doing ok for you.

@LindaLatte, congrats to DGS on his graduation today. Good luck to him, sounds like he has everything in place for his college. It is nice that the caregivers meeting was a good one, and that DH had a good day yesterday, I hope today is as well. I am sure you have "down" days, it would be unusual if you did not, but, imo you do a super job of caring for him and I know you realize you need some down time also.

@Rock_chick, I have been watching all the news about the rain in@ Tx, as I have family there, not where you live but Corpus area, Dallas, Ft. Worth areas as well as a few other cities down there. You have all been really getting hammered, I am so sorry and hope it lets up for everyone very soon.

@spix, I also have more problems these days with hands and knees type jobs. Takes me some effort getting back up, lol.

@cerb, sorry to hear about Sunshines right leg/foot, hope it heals up quickly also. Glad your DD finally got her flowers, I also can't figure why they were put on top the fridge, that's the last place I would have put them, lol. Over 100 temps are too hot, but you already know that. After  all the grandchildren's activities that I attended, I don't think I will need to do any shopping for a while. Just gift cards for a few birthdays coming up.

@twinny70, sorry about your friend. Hope you have a nice afternoon with your DH and friends. I am another who needs to spend some time doing constructive house things, I am spending all my energy outdoors lately.

I have had another full, busy day, but am about done once dinner is over and the kitchen cleaned up. Also one more load of laundry to fold and put away. Hope everyone has a nice evening and weekend. Waves....

"To each their own, in all things".