Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT -Friday January 1st - Happy New Years

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

I did not stay up until 12:00 last night, and of course the new year still came in.   We had to get a new router and get it set up, so I am just getting back on here.

Can't believe it is 2016,  did anyone make a resolution for this year? 

What is everyone doing today?  We are going to my SIL for lunch and may do some grocery shopping.  I may start the decluttering again, we will see what I feel like doing after eating a large meal at noon.

Off to get some breakfast, have a good morning everyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT -Friday January 1st - Happy New Years

Happy-New-year-Good-morning-2016-With-Lovely-Flowers1-650x420.jpg

Good morning PAlady, thanks for starting the thread, and good morning to everyone else also.

I hope you enjoy your lunch and grocery shopping today.

I do not make resolutions as such, just hope for the very best for everyone.

I did not stay up till midnight either, have not done so for quite a few years. By 10pm I was ready for bed, lol.

I am looking forward to the new year, hoping we can avoid a bitterly cold winter here in the midwest (doubtful, lol), and am keeping fingers crossed that hubby and I can at least keep the status quo as to our health. I will be starting a whole house purge sometime soon, as it is needed, again. I think I will need to start a grocery list and make that trip out today, I find I am out of several items I use regularly in the kitchen. I am doing fairly well in clearing out/using up some of the "stocked up" items in my cabinets, so just want to replace the necessities.

Does anyone here make and like scones? I think I am going to make some, it's something I haven't made before. Don't expect any more work to be done on our street water lines project till Monday. Not much new here.

Waves to everyone.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. Like you, I didn't stay up to see the New Year in. I haven't done that in years.

Snicks--I also am hoping for a mild winter more typical of a few years ago. . The past four years have been too much.

I did go to the city yesterday to see the neurologist. Afterwards, I went grocery shopping in a very packed WalMart. I am debating whether taking this drug that was prescribed by the neurologist. It has some very interesting side effects for some.

Would you believe it contributes to compulsive behavior in some people? Behaviors listed included shopping excessively for women, almost non-stop eating, and gambling. I don't know if treatment for restless legs is worth it. Physical symptoms include nausea, headaches, suddenly falling asleep, etc. in some people.

I do have sleep apnea also but it is mild so I'm not using a CPAP machine. I hated that thing. The mask on the face was irritating and the air blowing up nose really bothered me. It really kept me from sleeping well duirng the second test.

I may see what else can find a new  home. I didn't have time to drop things off at the donation place yesterday so it is still in the car trunk. I may go back to the city tomorrow or Sunday. Three days in a row is too much. Just can't get it all done at once.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Good Morning and Happy New Year to All.

Thanks for starting the first thread of the year Susan.  I watched my usual back to back episodes of Hogans Heroes last night between 10 pm and 11 pm and went to bed after that.  I had already wished my sisters and nieces Happy New Year. 

So far my only resolutions are to sit up straight (my posture stinks when I am on the computer at work or home) and work out my arms and hands a little more.  I read somewhere that working out hands and arms can make having blood drawn easier on the patient and person taking the blood.  I can use all the help I can get on that front, lol. 

Hey Snicks - I like scones.  I'll email you my address and you can send some of your experimental scones my way, rofl.

On my never ending quest to declutter, I went through a  three drawer plastic organizer thing on wheels in one of the bedrooms yesterday evening.  I pitched the oster nail groomer for dogs.  Okay, it's a dremel tool for pete's sake and I have one in the garage already and bought a battery operated one with a special grinding tip for the times I need to maintain Presto or Grayson's beak.  Poppi's beak maintain is done with a human nail clipper (only ever used on Poppi's mouth).

I then I found decorative tins, in different sizes.  Those went too.  I haven't put anything in them in years and I wasn't going to put anything in them.

I then had to make a decision about a couple of plush animals (think stuff animals won at a state fair).  At first I struggled emotionally with these until I said to myself Bernie, if you take a picture of the thing, you don't really have to have the thing.  The picture will help keep the memory and you will have one less dust collector.

Jean, if this is too personal, just say so and I'll leave it.  What does the neurologist think needs to be treated with meds.  Is it related to the apnea or heart?

I know a couple of people who had to use CPAP for apnea.  It's funny, a piece of equipment meant to help you get a restful sleep seemed to have the opposite effect on the patients.

I expect it to be a quiet day.  I'll probably roam around the house and declutter as I go. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Good morning friends!  Susan, thank you for starting us.  I did not stay up but at midnight the Houston fireworks show woke me up.  I've no idea how far away.  I threw on a hoody and sweats and walked outside and it was beautiful.  Had I walked to the end of the row I could have watched it all but it was chilly and windy.  Maybe if we are here next year.

I started the year out by making some muffins.  The oven is so temperamental!  I have to set it on 450 to get 350.  I put it on broil and the muffins cooked.  Snicks, I absolutely love scones and my Mom makes them too.  I  like an expensive mix called "Sticky Fingers".

Respected Contributor

Jean, I am glad you were able to get out yesterday, sorry the Walmart was so crowded.

Bernie, I always wish I had more time at "country home" to do more decluttering.  I'm always amazed to see all the clothes I have 'left behind', most of which could be passed along and I would not miss them.  The clothes I have here don't even get worn much.

Speaking of clothes, I need to wash a couple loads before we head out to the movies.  I am just going because DH thought we should see the new Star Wars.  The last several movies I REALLY wanted to see just didn't get out to them.  Not complaining, not sure why I haven't gone.

Honored Contributor

@Rock_chick

I liked the original 3 Star Wars movies and while I've seen the others that followed that were actually pre-quels to the first 3, I never took to those.

Everyone that I know who has seen the newest installment of the Star Wars franchise, loved it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

Good Morning, ladies...Happy New Year!!!  Thanks for starting us, Susan.  Youngest DS and I made it up to midnight.  I haven't done that in years!  

I'm definitely ready for a new year.  I decided to order the TSV.  It's a small investment and I'll give myself 30 days to really use it or back it will go.  I didn't see any reviews, but it looks interesting and I think resistance training is a good option for me.  I have my 40th HS reunion in April, so I'd like to get myself back in shape.

I am going to try to get back on the decluttering train with you all...less is definitely more as I get older.  I love the support and encouragement of all of you on our thread- thank you!!!

Here's to a happy, heathy 2016!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I have a problem with restless legs which  hits at times. It never bothers me in the daytime, but when it hits it is always after I go to bed. It happens about once a week.  I try to fight it but it doesn't work, so I get up and watch TV, drink something hot to relax and then go back to bed.  Sometimes, I will get muscle spasms in the leg.

Kathleen--Walmart wasn't a problem for me. All the registers were open and the long lines to check out went quickly as people were well organized for the checkout and were patient. People were not tying up the aisles as they can sometimes when they want to chat with someone or study labels. Everyoone appeared to be focused and wanting to get what they needed.  I was lucky to get one of the 3 carts remaining when I went into the store. Glad you enjoyed the fireworks once they awakened you. The muffins sound yummy!!

Bernie--I am one of those who has never seen a Star Wars movie despite liking good sci-fi, Star Trek, etc. Because of the distance involved in going to a movie, I don't see many in a year. I think the last I saw was the latest Mission Impossible movie. In the Winter, I have to leave the city by 3:30pm to get home by the time it gets dark. That limits my seeing movies in the Winter. Because of our roads and deer, I don't like driving long distances when it is dark. Much of that trip is a dead zone when it comes to cell service.

Time to bring more grocery items in from the car. I just brought in the frozen items yesterday evening as I was wiped out and didn't want to deal with them.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Happy New Year to all🍾 Sydnie stayed up until midnight with dh. Her mom and I crashed long before that.

we head back to az this afternoon.. I am looking forward to some warmth and sun.,it has been very cloudy here.

Jean, I have found a wonderful product that helps me with my legs...Calm. You can find it on Amazon. My rheumatologist recommended trying to add magnesium to my diet because I did not want another prescription. It seems to wrk..really helps with leg cramps also.

Bernie , getting rid of things could be a daily chore here. Lol

i love scones..have made them in the past. 

(((((Hugs ))))) to all. May you all have a blessed and hPpy new Year.

We saw the new Star Wars movie..absolutely loved it. I thought it was the best of all and I have seen the entire series.