Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Friday, 11/13

Good Morning/Afternoon!  I know some people have negative reactions to any Friday the 13th, but that is not the case with me.  First, this is oldest DGS' birthday (22), and my Mom's birthday was on the 13th of a different month.   I was happy to be able to text him today -- I only got unlimited texting since his last birthday.

DD took my SIL for treatment today -- it will be a 3 1/2 day treatment (outpatient) session to help with his traumatic stress disorder.  We are really hoping for the best.  Birthday DGS was supposed to work today at Macy's, but he changed that until tomorrow so he could take his siblings around (school, shopping, etc.), as well have the day off for celebrating.  He is not crazy about his job at Macy's, but at least it is just until January.

DH is off to the club, and he seems okay this morning.  I am cooking my offering for the potluck meeting I'll be attending at lunchtime.  I'm making the same pasta dish (my creation, but basically four cheeses, tomato sauce, etc.) that I took to the other pot luck.  I don't mind having leftovers for dinner if there are some.

I am certainly thinking about you twinny.  We all know that our parents aren't going to live forever, but it is so hard to see them failing.  I know that you will have lots of details to work on as well.  Please try to take care of yourself.  I understand that the hospice workers can also be helpful for the families.  More hugs and prayers.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, Bernie, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, Gayle, pinky ann, snicks, Karen and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Friday, 11/13

Hi LindaL, my mom was born on a Friday the 13th in August in the 20's.  She was delivered at home and my grandmother said the doctor that came to the house was three sheets to the wind.  Not only did he get my mom's name wrong, he lied and said she was born just after midnight on August the 14th because he was superstitious.

Even then my family was dealing with stupid doctors, rofl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness. What a tale!!!! My nephew's ND is May 13. My mom's was the 22 nd and she hoped for her date. Didn't quite happen.

Linda: happy birthday to your grandson. He is a thoughtful young man. I know you are proud of him.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi ladies, happy Friday the 13th!. I am not superstitous in the slightest, never believed in all that, but know some people who do.

Thanks for starting us off today LL. Happy b-day to your DGS. Hope he has a great day. Also hope the treatment plan for your DSIL is effective. Glad that your DH seemed ok this morning and is off to his club, hope you enjoy the potluck meeting.

birdmama, that doctor who attended when your mother was born was a real piece of work, huh? I think a lot of them were at that time, and still find that some are in the current time.

In the last 36 or so hours we have had winds of 25-40 mph, it finally let up last night. I have been out this morning picking up sticks and pinecones all over the yard. I checked my fitbit, just for the heck of it, I walked over 1.25 miles just doing the pickup. Came in, scrubbed down the bathroom, heading off to vacuum shortly, and that is about the extent of my day. I do notice that my back hurts considerably more now that cooler weather has arrived. It was like this last year about this time as well, so I guess it's just another thing to hate about cold weather, lol. No clue what we'll be having for dinner tonight, but I guess I need to start thinking about that, too. Have a good day everyone. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@kittyfan, ha, missed you again. Have a great day.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Linda, 22yo? Are you sure?  How can that be?  loI hope you have fun at your pot luck today.

I went back to the "Nutcracker Market" here today with my church friends.  Yesterday went with a Navy Mom friend. It was like a huge flea market but nice things, mostly Christmasy.  Clothes, food, jewelry, ornaments, house decorations, lots and lots and lots.  I found a top right off that I fell in love with, a cami/slip type top with 3 ruffles of lace to wear under my shorter tops. I got it in red and black.  Waited an hour before going back to buy.  Bought some tasty pocorn, and then today I bought another top (baseball type with lace on the arms - a BIG hit there but most ppl got the Christmasy ones and mine is turquoise year round type) and some Mexican vanilla paste, to be used inplace of vanilla.

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Thoughts your way Twinny.  I can relate to some of your story in dealing with an aging parent and some of the challenges that present.  We had our Mom set up for assisted living last summer subsequent to health changes.   The full move had been scheduled.  While I was at lunch with my brother, she canceled the movers and renewed her lease at her apartment.  She still had wiggle room in her assisted living contract/papaerwork .  Many months of planning undone.  There is definitely a disconnect at times.  Every time this comes up i pray that I will not be a burden to my kids.   Ironically, most of the family that lived close to her have moved out of town for a variety of reasons (job, retirement etc).  The one family member left, my brother, has had a much needed boom in his career that now takes him out of town more often.  

I am back from running errands.  I glanced at the calendar and noticed the Friday the 13th...kind of wish I would not have looked at it because then the seed would not have been planted LOL.  Today has been a good day though, beautiful weather and a nice lunch out with my husband. 

Anyway hope all is well ...Gayle

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It is good that DH could go to the club and that you were able to prepare your potluck. I'm not the least superstitious  when it comes  to Friday the 13th as my favorite black cat can testify. If negative things happen on the 13th, it will be things that could also happen on another date. Some people just attach negative meaning to it when it by chance happens on the 13th.

I really feel for Twinny. It  has been and will continue to be a stressful time for her. At least, a definite communication has been made and done in the presence of all. Hospice is a great solution and can be very supportive to all during this emotional  and trying time. Please take care of yourself as much as possible.

Gayle--Like you, I have been through this and know that I will have some difficult choices ahead for myself. What family I have left will not be of help.

I would take time to write more but I don't feel well. I'm exhausted and couldn't sleep last night as I was still functioning on Hawaii time of five hours difference. Midnight Hawaii time is 5am Eastern time, so I was just getting sleepy about the time to get up here. I don't have problems adjusting going west to Hawaii but I always dread the return and adjustment.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean, it's good to see you posting, I missed you.  Did you have a wonderful time?  I bet your little cat was so happy to see you.  I've never been in a far enough time zone to have it mess with me too much.  Well I did go to AZ one time when MI was on daylight savings time and AZ wasn't.  It didn't affect my ability to sleep, I was just not sure what time it was, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's been another gorgeous, warm and sunny day. I had to hit the bank then pay my mortgage at another bank. The tracts I ordered came in so I picked them up - now I can get to work on the Christmas goody bags for the soliders. I stopped at Dollar Tree for some tape and other necessities; I also looked in Michael's at the section where they have nice little gift items, you know, the little extras, but the prices have gone up by half...and since many of the things are pretty much the same as those carried in Dollar Tree, well...they've lost a customer permanently. 

A Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in town a couple of weeks ago so I stopped by to check it out; it's basically just a supermarket, so it doesn't have all the temptations a regular Walmart does. I didn't buy anything - they have mostly processed food, which I rarely eat - but I just wanted to get an idea of what they carried, should I need something when I'm baking. 

The play last night was cute; not the best I'd ever seen, but not the worst either. "Harvey" was written just after WW II by someone who wanted to lift people's spirits.  I snuck out on Honeybun and Angelica, but Autumn hopped into the car and napped while she waited for me, which she doesn't mind and I don't have to worry about her eating the car, as I do with Angelica; afterwards we went to Cook Out where she got a corn dog. 

Oh, Friday the 13th - I'm not a triskaidekaphobe at all; in fact, 13 was once considered a lucky number...but I don't believe in luck.  The origin of the Friday the 13th phobia stems from Passover, which is on the 14th of Nisan. Since the Jews count their days from sunset, the 14th for them was still the 13th for the Egyptians, when all their firstborn died. 

My two packages from Amazon are still in limbo, so I contacted them via chat.  The guy I talked with was totally incompetent - I provided the two order numbers and he said Oh, order #(a totally different one) was delivered. He just couldn't understand that packages that were supposed to be here Wednesday, aren't..  (roll eyes)  He also typed about 2 WPM; hopefully he's just new (by his language he seemed to be very young) but I sure was tempted to simply cut him off and try back with another person.  Anyway, eventually he placed replacement orders with free overnight delivery.  We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Jean, the west to east jet lag is a killer!  I'd always sleep for 12-14 hours afterwards! 

Bird, that was some story with that doctor!  I guess malpractice suits weren't as popular back then as they are now. Did you ever check the boots at Zulilly? They still keep popping up, and they're so cute!  (All different kinds, and I want them ALL!)

LindaL, hope your day went well. Is  your husband enjoying the "club?"

Well, my baked ziti is about ready, so I've got to run.  Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening!