Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Friday 10/2/2015

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Haven't been around for a while, DH and I went to Gettysburg this week and had great time.  It has been 7 years since we were last there and I think maybe we will go back in 10 years.  It is an interensting place, but there is only so much to do there. 

I haven't gone back to see what all has happened on the board, so I will just say - that I hope everyone is doing well and if there has been a problem that is is solved and you are doing well.

I did come home to some terrible news, a good friend of mine died on Monday, she was not feeling well and called her companion, he came home about 20 min later and found her dead.  I just found this out last night and was devastated.  She was a wonderful person and will be missed greatly.  I have realized something over the past year - If you think about someone - Call them, If you want to go do something with your loved one - Go do it.    Don't wait for that perfect time - that time is right now. Okay - I am off my soap box now.

I did see Kathleens dress on facebook - I looks very flattering on you and the color is great.   I hope you got it. 

Well off to finish washing clothes and finish putting my travel stuff away.  Hope everyone has a great day.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Friday 10/2/2015

Just found that Susan had started our thread after I attempted to start it.  Sorry about that.

I'm very sorry about the death of your friend, Susan.  You are so right about calling/contacting someone if you are thinking of them.  I have lost a couple of friends this summer, and I really regretted not doing so.  I hope you can be consoled a bit by all your good memories.

I have been to Gettysburg several times, and I agree with you -- interesting, but not too much to do after a couple of days.

Here is what I posted. ---

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is another warm and sunny day here in southern Arizona (expecting highs in the mid-90's), but I know several of you are having chilly and/or rainy weather.  Hope the storms do not cause too much damage, and everyone stays safe.

Not much to report from here.  DH and I had a nice walk, and I plan to go to the gym later this morning.  I will go to the grocery store this afternoon -- seeking dinner inspiration and some produce.  

My "classes" (British history and British mysteries) were good yesterday afternoon, and DH just slept while I was away.  He received an e-mail from the doctor with blood test results, but I could not figure out what they meant, so I forwarded them to his DD (who is a doctor).  She said it looks like his iron deficiency problems have gone away, which makes me happy.  He will be going back to the doctor Wednesday after next so I imagine we will get more information.

I think someone asked about my SIL -- he is doing better, but not great.  Definitely not an easy disease.

Anyone interested in the TSV?  I think the price is right, and I do like hoop earrings.  But, I usually go for slightly smaller hoops, and I'm not sure about the quality.

Waves to Jean (working again), Kathleen (like that dress), Arlene, twinny, Bernie, snicks, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa, Charlene, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

H ello Ladies....so sorry about your friend Susan what  terrible news to come home to.  I have been to Gettysburg several times....my DD went to Gettysburg college several years ago.....there is just so much to see and do there I agree,

This will be my 4th post I have written and lost 3...so far.  I tried on my desk top thinking maybe it was my iPad but lost them anyway and then I coildn't sign on so now I'm back on my iPad and will see what happens.

Good news that your DH blood work came back ok Linda. I hope he does well next week at the center and enjoys it.

I'm keeping this short...have a nice day everyone.    Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. What a shocking surprise upon your return home. You are so correct that we need to touch base when we get the internal message to call, visit, etc. as we never know when we will be able to see or speak to that person again, if at all. Life can be so fleeting and we don't want to live with regrets.

Linda--Thank you also for starting a thread. Yes, your weather sounds great in comparison. Glad DH's lab results seem to be good. Things seem to be coming together for you.  As for the TSV earrings, I am tempted. I have earrings in various styles, etc. I really like omega backs.

Marijane--You really have been having problems, like others, in being able to post. I have yet to go to Gettysburg.

I subbed in the 5th-grade today and will sub in an elementary school on Monday.

As far as shopping is concerned, Midnight bought me a Kindle Voyage and a pink case last night. Of course, he expects me to pay for it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Jean I did pick up the s/v today in the silver color.  I had also pre ordered that Amazon Fire and not sure when it will ship....I also treated each of my kids to one  now hopefully I will be able how to figure out how to use it!    the hurricane missed us but we are getting a pile of rain and some wind.  we had our first  fire of the season in the wood stove today...it was chilly in here.    I!ll see if I am pushing my luck by posting again and if it will go thru......we'll see.      Have a nice evening everyone.....Marijane

Trusted Contributor

Hi ladies!  Susan - your trip to Gettysburg sounds nice.  I was there once when I was 19   years old and really liked it.  It's a long way from CA!  Sorry about the death of your friend.  A good reminder not to procrastinate letting friends and family know that they're loved and appreciated.  LindaL - Still very hot here too.  Can't wait till it cools off.  I hope you're enjoying your British history and British mysteries classes.  I'm currently reading the first Agatha Raisin book by M.C. Beaton.  It's good so far.

My DH has the day off and said he'd help me with chores.  Yipee!  We filled some pots with compost, planted beet, lettuce, and kale seeds, and then surrounded them with chicken wire.  This is an experiment.  Last year when I grew those cool weather crops in my regular garden area, something came and ate every bit.  I planted seeds 3 times and the little seedlings disappeared 3 times.  Never could figure out the culpret, but we're trying something different this year.  Then we did some pruning, weeding, and I planted a bunch of daffodil bulbs that I had purchased.  

I have done a bit too much shopping lately.  I purchased several of the Susan Graver former TSV sweaters that are "as-is".  The sizing was a bit "off" on some.  I'm keeping 3 and sending back 3.  Same thing with a few Denim & Co heavenly jersey tops that were a lunchtime special.  Keeping the ones that fit and sending a couple back.  I bought an Isaac Mizrahi ruana in a green plaid that I like (but a bit too expensive), then found a black/white/gray plaid ruana at Walmart for $13 that I like just as much.  Bought a couple of Ryka athletic shoes that I think will work well for my hurting foot.  I bought 2 rather expensive gold bracelets.  One is a "fancy byzantine" link, and one has turquoise and was a lunchtime special.  (Those were both more money than I would usually spend.)  Got a good deal on a used ring on ebay though and I really like it.  (It was priced $129, they accepted my offer of $110, then I used a $20 off coupon and got it for $90).  It's kind of an antique filigree style with small blue topaz stones and a rhodolite garnet.  Oh, and I like the Tiagnello brown crossbody bag I bought.  There are several other things that I won't even bore you by mentioning.  Whew.  I think I need to pump the breaks on the shopping for a while.  

~   Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--You have quite a haul there but I'm sure that the motivation was great. It seems that shopping for me goes in cycles. I can go weeks and not see anything that appeals to me enough to add to my collection, but there will be times when all the goodies seem to be focused into  one small period of time.

Marijane--Enjoy your Kindle when it arrives. I was one of those to get the Kindle Echo for $99 some time ago before the general launch of it, but I decided I didn't need it.

I have the IM boots coming my way and the SG TSV blazer. Add to that the Kindle Voyage, etc.  I haven't ordered the TSV earrings as of right now. I wish I could see them in person.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  Hard to believe it's Friday already; seems like it was Friday just the other day.  Cat Frustrated

The rainy, cool weather continues, so I slept late, then went to the PO to mail a package and made a trip to Aldi - they have a lot of specials this week that I wanted to get before the weekend crowd hits and they're all sold out.  Many, many, many apple and pumpkin items - everything from pancake mix to cheese to wine. I don't know what the big deal is about pumpkin; apple is OK, although not my favorite, but I got some caramel apple cheddar cheese which should be interesting. Of course the dogs piled in the car as soon as I went near it - they seem to think I can't go anywhere without them!  Cat Happy I was going to get them some chicken nuggets at Central Park, which is a local chain of drive-thru burger places.  They've been 12 for $1.99, but - like many CPs in the area - the building was sold, it's now called Battlefield Burgers, and the price is higher, so I just got them some at Wendy's.

"Sister Act" was pretty good; the basic premise of the show was the same as the movie - nightclub singer witnesses a murder and is put into protective custody in a convent where she turns an awful choir of nuns into something really special - but other than that a lot was  changed - Delores and the police officer protecting her fall in love, when she and the nuns go to a bar for cheesesteak sandwiches her lover (who is trying to kill her) was there, etc.  I enjoyed it, and the performers were all excellent, but the music was different from the movie (Much of the same song over and over), and I can't say it was the best show I've ever seen there.  It was also long - almost 3 hours, including intermission, so I didn't get to go for a burger afterwards as I had planned.

So sorry to hear about your friend, Susan.  A good friend is a rarity these days; I try and let my BFF know I care about her as often as I can in various ways, even though she lives in CA.

Marijane, you'll have no trouble with the Kindle Fire - it's very intuitive, and if you have a question there's a Mayday button that you press, and a live tech comes on the screen to help.  (You can see them, but they can't see you.)

Jean, you mean you don't give Midnight an allowance?  Cat Surprised  Now, my guys are all very selfish and would spend it all on '****** and treats, but my favorite bear gets an allowance which he always spends on me. Cat Wink  In fact, he's been asking me what I want for Christmas; the only thing I have need of (or even want) is some new Wicked Good shearling slippers from LL Bean - they're pricey, but are super-cozy and last a couple of years, so in the long run they're no more expensive that Dearfoams or some comparable brand which last me only a few months.

I've never been to Gettysburg -  heck, I've yet to go to the local Civil War battlefields!  Cat LOL I was never much into Civil War history; I've studied WW II since I was about five and have probably read hundreds of books about it - I'd love to see the Holocause Museum in DC.

Charlene, your Q shopping experience is exactly why I won't  buy clothing on-line anymore, unless it's from Amazon and has free returns - those shipping charges to return things that don't fit really add up!  I passed Hamrick's while I was out today (one of my favorite stores), and they had a big sign saying "Truckload Sale!"  They not only carry regular name brands (and a huge selection), but also closeouts - you never know what you'll find, from Kmart to QVC labels; Susan Graver tops are usually $10.  Anyway, I feel so badly about putting away so many beautiful summer things I never wore, I'm determined to focus on what I've already got.

Well, I think I'll take a nap; I don't have much homework this week, but need to get it done, and I still have to organize my purses.

Have a blessed evening, everyone!

Honored Contributor

Hello all - was a hectic day at work and just finished eating a bowl of cereal - got out of work late.

Susan, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and even sorrier for her companion. 

Everyone else - sounds like you're all maintaining.  It's dark and I have to settle the flock for tonight.

My JCP order is in the post office and should be delivered tomorrow.  Finally :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Charlene -- we read  Agatha Raisin book a few semesters back, and I enjoyed it.  Good luck with your new plants.  I use an insect spray (supposed to be okay for "organic gardening") for my basil plants, and I could not find it at Wal-Mart since they have all their Christmas stuff in where the garden stuff used to be.  Ended up going to the local hardware store and paying much more.  

Sounds like you have quite a shopping haul there. Sorry some things didn't work well.

I'm not that much into Civil War history either, Arlene, but I have been to several battlefields in Maryland, PA, VA, etc.    And, I've read a few interesting books on the subject.

Glad you enjoyed the play -- that was a favorite movie of mine (and my Mom's).  I think I would have been disappointed if the music had changed, but....

Hope you like your Christmas present from Midnight, Jean.  I know how much you use and enjoy your Kindle.  I think I have decided against ordering the earrings.  But, I could change my mind.

I liked that picture of your fireplace on FB, Marijane, but I do prefer the heat.

Hope you like all your JCP things, Bernie. 

DGS was supposed to play a game in PA tomorrow, but due to the weather, it has been canceled.  To be honest, I am happy they won't need to drive in the rainy, messy weather.  DD's new toilet was installed, and I hope she likes it as much as I like ours.  It is pretty funny to be so enthused about a toilet, but these ones use much less water, don't run on and on, and are higher.  Winners in my opinion.

Guess I better get cooking now.  Sleep well everyone!