Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT -Friday 1/22

Hi girls!

Well, so far we've had just  heavy rain, but it's supposed to switch to snow later this evening when it gets colder.  I think I have everything I need - even milk and bread, although I rarely use either - so I should be OK, apart from struggling to keep warm.  I stayed in bed until early afternoon (LOVE my fleece sheets!), but eventually had to get up to feed the critters.  They're driving me up the wall - the cats are misbehaving more than usual, and I thought I'd be nice and bring Honeybun in, where - instead of "going" while she was outside - she pooped in several places on the living room rug.  Cat Mad  She's now once again on the back porch - out of the wind and rain, but she can just stay there until tonight.  Please continue to pray I get the money I need for the HVAC system - I'm a little over 1/3 there via GoFundMe.

Snicks, since you said your DD is in Hershey, I'm picturing her with a truckload of chocolate bars...  Cat Happy  If that were teh case, she'd be very popoular if she got stuck somewhere.

Susan, that trip sounds wonderful.  Something I'd love to do it take the rail trip through the mountains of western Canada.  Like you I've been trying to wear something differnt all the time, and anything I don't love I put aside for the missions closet or thirft shop.  It took me a while, but I finally got it through my head that I don't like hoodies.  I've seen many hooded tops that are cute, but I've learned to avoid them after I realized I don't wear the ones I have with hoods.

Jean, I haven't played with my new coloring books yet - my finters are too stiff frm cold - but I don't have the patience to just sit and watch a TV program or movie online; I need something mindless to keep my hands occupied, and that might be just the thing.

Unlike you, I have succembed to temptation...I got some gourmet chocolate bars for my birthday, always have cookies on hand (including guava cookies from Hawaii), found some chocolate Twizzlers a few weeks ago which I can't resist and are hard to find so I bought two bags, and (blush) confess I even broke into the candy I have for the soldiers' Valentines packages. (The 75% off Christmas candy.) 

Marijane, I too didn't think we'd get a "real" winter, as even on Christmas day it was warm out.  I should have known better and gotten to work raising the money for the new HVAC much sooner - I'd probably have it by now.  Unfortunately, I don't have a credit card I can use, and I'm in the Catch 22 situation of where you can't get credit until you have credit...

Twinny, sorry to hear the problems with your mom continue, but at least she's now taken care of by someone else most of the time.  I'm praying for you and LindaL.

I've been thinking of signing up for the free trial on Netflix; it's annoying in that I can't get past the sign-up page to see if they have enough programs that I'd want to watch to make it worth subscribing to, but it would be something to do when I can't go out.  Then again, it's a "free" trial, so I could always cancel...

My Kindle Fire has been acting up - I'm getting really fed up with Kindles.  My first one wouldn't charge up after I had it for only two years, so it's worthless.  I had the new model that I gave up on after returning three consecutive defective ones, so I'm back to my "old" (second) one.  Sometimes the sound works, and sometimes it doesn't...and now it won't charge past 80%, so I guess it's on it's way out - and it's not even two years old.  So much for quality...  Cat Frustrated

I guess I'll take a nap; the cats are clmbing all over me, so I need to go into the bedroom and close the door so I can be left alone - I am NOT in a  happy mood! 

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening.

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat, that was quite the film clip. Lots of people think those trucks can just go, regardless of conditions, not so. She was mostly anxious to get away from the mountainous areas before running into much snow, have to say I don't blame her for wanting that, lol.

@FunkyHulaGirl, I have no idea what she is hauling, chocolate would make people happy, I'm sure. When she hauled a truckload of beer to New Orleans, she made people there happy too. lol.

Geez, she delivered her load to Zaneville, Oh, now she has to go to Scranton Pa., more mountains. God, now I'll still be worrying.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Susan, thank you for starting us. Your vaca sounds fun, And cold. I joined a FB group "Ending Closet Chaos" and just reading a little has made me much more aware of what i love and what i don't. I love the clothes i have here but don't wear them all so this week I've made an effort to wear all my clothes and I've been taking my daily pics of my outfits again because those are very revealing to me.
Respected Contributor

Rosa, I really love "Say yes to the Dress"!! One of my faves. Glad you don't have to get pout in the bad weather.
Respected Contributor

Jean, my Virginia cousin drive home in that today - her Marine soon came home from deployment and there wasn't anything stopping her from fetching him. Luckily they made it home ok. I hope power outages are minimal.
Respected Contributor

Snicks I love my down days. People ask me what i do all weekend in the rv and it's usually lay around. I would rarely ever dip that at home.

Twinny, so sorry it is such a struggle with your mom and glad you got her ring fixed.
Respected Contributor

Marijane I had to giggle at that"instructions from Maine" thing. Hilarious. I remember the preparations when i was growing up in Iowa. I also remember several times taking snowmobiles out in a blizzard to help neighbors feed their livestock. Itt was risky but necessary and always one of us went with an adult.
Respected Contributor

Snicks i love the FB to for being up with my girls. We have a private group and post pictures every few days so i can see what they are up to and hert all DHs DD's teaching stories that she can't put on regular FB. Glad your girl is on her way and hope she makes it safely.

Barbara, do you miss Sydnie terribly? I'm glad you are able to avoid some of the nasty weather. Glad you are taking it easy. Will you get your infusion soon?
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening, Ladies.  I get cold just hearing about the snow and cold in Maryland/DC and elsewhere.  Good day to be in southern Arizona -- highs in the 70's, and nice and sunny.  DD took DGS to work at Macy's -- he was supposed to work until 8:00 p.m., but texted her to say that they were closing at 1:00 p.m.  His car estimate went up slightly since they need to replace a tire.  But, fortunately it was not one of the tires he replaced recently.

Army DGS' reserves were postponed until next weekend, thank goodness.  DD went to the Wal-Mart at 5:30 a.m., and she said she has enough food for a while.  Not enough to last the week the Maryland governor suggested.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the hospice nurse was late yesterday (1 1/2 hours) since she was busy with another patient.  But, her visit went quite well as did the caregiver visit this morning.  I asked her if DH had dandruff since I saw white flakes on his shirt, and she said yes.  I didn't think someone who is almost totally bald would have that problem.  I purchased some dandruff shampoo at Wal-Mart, which I hope will help.

It has been another busy day, but I did get some things accomplished -- had my glasses repaired (a lens fell out), the document notarized (a different bank) and scanned/e-mailed, had lunch with my friend, went to the gym, and then went for a short walk with DH.  

Hope you have a wonderful trip, Susan.  A friend of mine went to Churchill not too long ago, and she said the Northern Lights were wonderful -- worth getting up early to see.

Fingers crossed that your DD makes it to Ohio with no problems.  

Staying indoors and enjoying your tea sounds like a great idea in your weather, Rosa.  That is certainly a lot of snow.

Those pictures are frightening, Jean.  So glad you are able to stay home, and I certainly hope none of you lose power.  I have had that happen in an ice storm, and the house was so very cold.  Took several days until the power was restored.

Hope you enjoyed your lunch, twinny.  Sorry your Mom is not a "compliant" patient.  I think it is pretty common for people to refuse to use things like walkers and wheelchairs when they could make things so much easier.  Hugs.

I have been through power outages due to a Hurricane as well, Marijane.  Fortunately, it was less than 10 days, but I remember how difficult it is to do anything when you don't have lights, etc.  I'm very happy DH likes the club, and I talked to the director today.  Some of the ladies at the caregiver group were talking about how their husbands were misbehaving (being aggressive, etc.) even at the "club", so I asked if he was okay.  She said that he was fine, and very polite.  She also told me that they would let me know as soon as they could if he exhibited a negative change in behavior.  Sometimes, it helps to see the doctor/get medicine, etc.  We also talked about books, and I ended up bringing some books for their little library.  DH doesn't read any more, but I saw him looking at an atlas there.  So, I took one of his atlases.

Waves to Bernie, Barbara (sorry you are in pain), Charlene, Arlene (hope you can get some heat very soon), Kathleen, spix, Karen, LindaR, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Think I better finish or everyone will fall asleep reading my post.

Hugs,

Linda 

Respected Contributor

Linda it sounds like you got a lot done today. I'm glad DH is ok at the club. Sorry his nurse was late. I wonder how often that will happen.

I am trying something new tonight, burgers in the oven. One of our fave little local dives cooks then like that. We use the stove and oven for heat so it's win - win. We could use the furnace but it's just not that cold here.

I've gotten all the approvals and the final exited "let's do it" from DH to foster a dog Orr maybe a couple puppies. I'm very excited about it - we'll see how well it works out.