Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT -10/20/15 Tuesday

Hello all - was a long day, smile.

Pinky, good to see you posting again.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry about your Mom, twinny.  Making those types of decisions are so very difficult.  Glad you and your DH had a nice lunch and time out today at least.  I will be praying for you.  

The professor who I have taken many OLLI classes from had posted information on FB about his Dad going into a memory care place.  His Mom and sister just could not deal with his issues.  While it was a very difficult decision, he said that his Dad seems to be doing well there.  And, it is pretty close to where his Mom and sister live so they can visit often.  

I am reading a very interesting book entitled, "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande.  Don't know if I would recommend it because I am not sure if I'll like his conclusions.  But, he discusses many issues about nursing/medical care for elderly people (or people who have serious illnesses).  To be honest, some of the examples he gives are very upsetting to me, but I think I need to read it.  There are many different types of facilities, and some work well for some people and not for others.  Don't know if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Hi Arlene -- sorry you had another bad time in court.  I would avoid dealing with them again if at all possible.  I think it is pretty normal for judges to go along with the prosecutors/law enforcement officials, etc.  At least that has been my (limited) experience.  I was on a grand jury in Maryland, and all we did was decide whether a case should go forward.  I think we decided to go with the prosecutor/law enforcement in all but two cases (this was in a two month period).

Good to see you posting again pinky ann.  Glad you and your husband are feeling better.

Thanks for your good wishes, LindaR.

Waves to Bernie, Jean (sorry you are not feeling well), Kathleen, Marijane, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Due to the x-ray results, DH will be able to return to his "club" on Friday as planned.  I am so happy that he will be able to do so.  I am seriously considering adding a second day at the "club" in the future, but I want to make sure that it works for him and them.  While the "club" is not inexpensive, it is far less than having someone come to the house.  The disadvantage is that they are only open Monday-Friday for seven hours max, and the other organization will come any time I need them.  They can also help with bathing him, etc. so it makes sense that it is more expensive, but....  

DH and I went to the gym after the senior lunch program.  He seems more "with it" today, and that makes me very happy.

I need to get the "office" ready for his daughter (she arrives tomorrow), and do some general cleaning.  Guess I better think about dinner as well. 

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm replying late in the day.  Not sure how many of you are still online checking the thread.  Susan and Twinny - Good for you, getting your carpets and floors cleaned.  We're overdue for a good carpet cleaning.  Twinny - (((hugs))) in regards to being an increasing caregiver for your mother.Pinkann - visit us any time!  Hope your health challenges will improve.  Bernie - smile, right back at ya!!! -

Arlene - Sorry about the hassles with the "powers that be."  We actually do have a corrupt local official or two.  My DH works for our water district.  On the board of directors (an elected official) is a multi-millionaire, whose family has been doing underhanded things for decades.  He was caught in an election donation scandal a few years ago and was found guilty of committing a felon.  Because of that he can't hold public office.  He used some of his wealth to hire expensive lawyers, went back to court, and got his sentence reduced to a misdemeanor.  Then the stupid public re-elected him to office again.  He tells the public they need to cut back on their water use during the drought, while he runs sprinkles on his 5 acres of lawn in the middle of the day, until water runs down the street.  He's a creep all the way around.  In my Bible study this year we're studying the book of Isaiah.  Here's an interesting verse that I read just this morning... "Hell from beneath is excited about you, to meet you at your coming." Isa. 14:9.  Maybe that one is applicable for a couple of the people in your local government, lol. Of course, we'll be praying for their changed hearts first and foremost!  (I really do wish for the salvation of all.)

Good evening everyone!   ~   Charlene

We finally had some nice weather today.  It was so nice to cool off a little.  I haven't bought anything for the past few days.  Yeah!!!  I suspect a couple of the recent TSVs were ones that hadn't sold out previously, so they brought them back.

Esteemed Contributor

That is an amazing, but sad story, Charlene.  I don't understand why people would vote for a crook like that, but......

Respected Contributor

Sad commentary on our society. Using his power and influence and then being re-elected