Honored Contributor

Shopaholics Independence Day (Thurs., July 4th)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and Happy Independence Day

Image result for fireworks gif

I went out last night and rebought everything I need for today.

My sister is coming over and I think she's bringing the macaroni salad and potato salad.

I've got all beef franks (I'll cook them in the oven on a cookie sheet,lol)

bush's country style baked beans, various toppings for the dogs like chili, cheese, onions and the usual mustard and ketchup.  I have snack sized bags of Better Made (local brand) regular and BBQ chips, some lofthouse (unfrosted) sugar cookies shaped like stars, vanilla ice cream and some cranberry/walnut relish as the ice cream topping.  If my sister don't want that I have nuts she can throw in the ice cream.

I bought pretty much what I needed for today plus a couple of staples like condiments, eggo waffles, soy milk.

The weather will be unstable for the next couple of days and I'm not risking losing a fridge full again.

Oh yea, the reason for the outage was the wind was knocking trees down left and right.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics Independence Day (Thurs., July 4th)

HAPPY 4th of July ! Keep cool and safe!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Your plans for the day sound great, and right now with the crazy weather, it pays to be cautious about stocking certain foods. 

I just switched handbags for the trip tomorrow. I'll leave around 6:30am so I'm doing preparations early. I've also been trashing some things and re-organizing. For me, holidays are another day. I had considered taking Midnight to the vet today but they are closed for the holiday as is one of t he local drugstores as it is privately owned. I assume the chain drugstore is open. I got to go. Midnight just barfed again.

Have a great Indepence Day everyone!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started.  Love those fireworks you posted.  I'm sure the only ones I'll see tonight will be on the TV.  You certainly have prepared well for your celebration with your sister.  Is it just the two of you?  Sorry about all those trees falling in your area, and I hope your power stays on.

Happy Independence Day to you  and all of our posters and readers.

Sorry Midnight is sick, Jean.  Hope it is nothing serious.  Nothing exciting going on here, either.  Hope your trip tomorrow goes okay.

It was a bit warm on my walk this morning, but not too bad.  I'll be going to the gym later this morning.  

I went swimming yesterday afternoon, and it was nice.   But, somehow I got quite hot when I got home.  Kept drinking water and using a damp cloth to cool down.  I read on Facebook (might have been from Consumer Reports) that the ideal AC temperature when one is away from home is 85 degrees.  If you are home during the daytime, I think it was something like 78 degrees, but at night it was something like 84 degrees.  I'm sure that I could not sleep well at all if I kept the AC that high.  Yikes!  I'm better able to tolerate the heat during the day than at night.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice holiday!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Correction -- 82 degrees at night.  Still too hot for me.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Independence Day!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie, and I'm so sorry that you lost all of the food in your fridge.  We have a large freezer in our garage and I would be heartsick if we lost all that food ($$$).  We have a generator that's powerful enough to keep both the fridge and freezer going.  But then I think...what if we were on vacation when it happened and there was no one to run the generator?  I can worry about anything!

We had plans to spend the 4th of July at my sister-in-law's house, but it fell through because not enough people showed interest.  I think that she had her feelings hurt, but at least we wanted to participate.  Now our only real plans for the day are to go to my mother's house and visit with her for a while and pick apricots off of her tree.  If there are enough of them, I might make some jam.  I haven't canned for years, so I will have to brush up on directions.  

I might BBQ some pork for dinner, and add potatoes, corn, and a salad.  

Waves to all ~ Charlene

Trusted Contributor

@KonaKat  - you take such good care of Midnight.  My DD took our oldest cat Lilly (not that old) to work yesterday and ran some tests on her.  She's got some kidney damage (of unknown origin), and probably has irritable bowel syndrome, which my DD says is fairly common in Siamese-type breeds.  So Lilly is going to have to go on a special diet for her kidneys.  We love our cats.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Is this the info you were referencing?

https://www.consumerreports.org/central-air-conditioners/best-setting-for-central-air-conditioning/

I think it is tied into energy saving. Some of the comments are interesting. I'm with you on comfort at night. It is making a choice between comfort and saving major dollars.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, cute fireworks graphic.  I heard a few boom boom booms last night and my DH said it was coming from our outdoor theatre a mile or so down the road.  Your feast with your sister sounds great.  Too bad about the ruined food in your fridge.

Jean,  hope  Midnight feels better real  soon.

Linda L, we have the A.C. set at 76° during the day & then turn it off when we go to bed.  Then we sleep in the nice & cool guest bedroom.  If it cools down during the night, we open the windows up.  Its been hot again this week so the windows are closed.

I did a little bit of cleaning this morning.  My DH is mowing the lawn.   We will soon heading to the bus station to get out ds.   It will  good to see him again.  The last time we saw him & his dw, I was in tears & my DH was very sick & they were giving me some lifesaving advice on how to get my DH to a hospital & back  home.

My DH's appointment went well on Tuesday.    After lots of testing, the neurosurgeon thinks that his episode in Mar was from the pneumonia & Legionaire's  he had last September.  He is going to have another  CT scan in 6 months & a  Dr.  followup.followup

My infusion went well yesterday without  any side effects which there are many.   I am on  a different drug for the second time.  I want my ds to read all of the info that I came home with.

Our niece and her family are driving up here tomorrow so it will be a fun house full.  

Off to the bus station.  Supper is out somewhere.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Thank you for the comments about my care of Midnight. I've always tried my best but sometimes the best may not be enough as they enter their senior years. Midnight has developed some issues which are not resolving easily. I did this for my other cat and I'm glad I did as when the time came, I don't know that I could easily have done it.

I was torn up this afternoon as I'm preparing to go make pre-need arrangements for the time Midnight crosses the Rainbow Bridge. I'll have him cremated by the funeral home in the city that only cremates one pet at a time with secure features to ensure the ashes you get are, in fact, that of your pet. I have a couple of urns picked out but really need to see them in person.  Midnight may or may not need this service soon but I want it planned in advance.

I hope your cat continues to do well. I know well the challenges of having a cat with kidney disease as my other cat had it. I'm sure DD will do her best.

Twinny--I'm glad DH's appointment went well as well as your infusion, and that you enjoy your time with DS and family. Dinner out tonight sounds like a great idea.

Valued Contributor

Spent most of the morning doing some yard work but shut it done around 11am to gear up for our Independence Day celebration.  A dear friend/neighbor brought us some food.   He was aware that my DH had surgery recently and I thought it was so sweet that he did this for us.  

The rest of the day will be quiet.   I am just watching a little TV, I DVRd the JAG marathon so that will be fun to watch again.  Season one was such a long time ago that it will probably seem "new" to me. 

Have a great rest of the day!

Gayle