Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholic - ODAT (Monday 9/7)

Twinny, I hope the weather is pleasant, not too cold when your Mom's birthday rolls around in October.  We're supposed to get rain, don't know if it's tonight or tomorrow and then we get heavenly 70 degree weather.  Sigh.  Your friend suffered such significant losses in such a short period of time.  I feel so sad for him.

Marijane, I did wonder about pool water.  My eldest sister had an above ground pool for a couple of years and I never went in it so I didn't know what happens with the water. 

Susan, I've been shopping JCP for nearly 35 years which is the only reason I am so comfortable buying online from them.  I'm tall and refuse to pay an arm and a leg for clothing at the local tall girl's shop.  Every once in a blue moon I get a stinker that I have to return - it's that rare.  Have fun today.

Barbara - Holy Moses - I'm sorry you hurt your knee but am grateful you didn't crack your head open when you fell in the shower.  I have some decals stuck on the tub (combo tub/shower) but somehow through the years there seem to be less of them.  I did buy some cute colorful ones that are supposed to stick with su ction but I am thinking the rubbermaid ones with glue would be safer.

LindaL - you hit the nail on the head regarding clothing.  I always stuck with classics then thought I might be cheating myself out of some cutsie things.  Turns out that in my 50's I realized I was right the whole time and needed to dress for who I am, not somebody else if that makes any sense.  I try to stay with classic styles, classic colors and not so many prints.  I can add a necklace if I think I look boring (lol).  I'm glad that your day is going better today.  I think it's lovely of you to consider donating housewares.  I think many people forget that folks need them too (besides clothes and shoes).

I will pray for SIL and especially DD.  In my opinion only, psychological problems are harder to get a handle on than physical problems.  The mind is a mysterious organ.

I am impressed that so many posters have pools.  :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

LindaL: you and your family continue to be in my prayers. You and your DD certainly have a lot to deal with. Hugs!!!
Respected Contributor

Twinny: I also never heard of milk in a bag. Interesting
Trusted Contributor

LindaL...prayers for your DD and her family....they have been thru a lot this year,hope things will improve.    

Bernie, we have an inground pool but I guess the same thing is done for above ground.....I have seen some above ground have a big ball or something under the cover and never knew what's that for.

Trusted Contributor

Hi friends!  I went back and read the threads from the past two days.  I'm behind!  Snicks - I just got caught up on paper shredding too.  Not that it's a hard chore, but I resent that we have a NEED to do that nowadays.  Sydsgma - glad you're feeling a little better from the transfusion, and hope it continues to improve.  Bernie, Jean - I'm with you on having a sore shoulder.  Mine is the left one and probably a rotator cuff issue.  Not bad enough to see a doctor about.  LindaL - I hope the new cabinet installation goes well and you like the way your new kitchen looks and functions.  Arlene - who are your favorite cozy mystery authors?  I may have asked that before, but I'm always looking for good suggestions.  Hope the issues with your dogs get worked out.  Can the dog that pees on your bed be made into an outdoor dog in a fenced yard?  I just hope it works out.  Snicks - I love the picture of your dog in the dishwasher.  Too cute!!!  Karen - continued (((hugs))) on the passing of your father.  Jean - thanks for the heads on on Dan Wheeler's wife having cancer.  I will be keeping them in prayer.  

It is interesting reading about several of you winterizing your pools.  Nobody does that in SoCal where I live.  I had never really thought about it.  We also don't have to worry about outdoor fountains or ponds.  Sometimes we might have to cover temperature sensitive plants when we have a freeze, but that's about it.  I learned the hard way for example, that lemon trees are more sensitive to freezes than grapefruit or orange trees.  Who knew???

There's only one current comedy show that I watch on t.v. and that's "The Middle".  It's mostly a G-rated show, and what can I say, I identify with the mother.  She wants to do the right thing for her family but somehow seems to mess it up.  The show just cracks me up.  

Yesterday after church my DH and I ran errands (Lowe's, Walmart, etc.).  I realized that our emergency first-aid kit had many out-of-date items in it, so we restocked those supplies.  We try to be prepared in case of an emergency like an earthquake.  That also means keeping food, water, extra gas, and things like that in rotation so it doesn't go bad.  Every year I get a little better at keeping up with things.

Today I did some watering and worked on my compost bin.  I'll be planting a small garden of lettuce, snow peas, and beets in a few weeks and need some more compost.  (Cool weather crops are grown during the winter here.)  In the meantime, I did get some tomatoes from my garden processed and put in the freezer.  I've also been making fresh salsa.  Yum!!!

Well, time for me to get back to doing some chores and finish doing my Bible study.  Hope you all have a nice day!   ~   Charlene

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! 

It's another hot, sunny day; homework is caught up, and I really should get started on this week's, particularly since the PhD classes start tomorrow (they're intermittent), but I think I'm going to have a lazy day with the pool and a book. I suppose I should take the dogs for a drive since I'll be gone all day for the next few days, and if I get really ambitious I'll mop the floors, but that's about it. 

I love hosting elegant dinner parties but haven't done one in years, mostly because the friends I had (who turned out to be just users so I've cut them off) were allergic to cats, and I don't really know many people around here.  I lost touch with my friends from my former single adult Sunday School class after most of them got married; I'm still hoping to find a church that has both sound teaching and good fellowship.

The church I had been going to has a potluck this week, but...PASS!  Not only is the food bad and I get sick from the heat since the AC isn't working, but I've given it a lot of thought and decided it's not the place for me.  Back to the drawing board...Oh, how I miss my Hawaii church family!   Cat Sad

I love the purse you got, Bird, although I'd prefer it not have those superfluous short handles.  The compartmentalization is good; that's important to me when choosing a purse. I don't shop at JCP, but we have an abundance of good shopping around here - two huge shopping areas in Chattanooga, a nice one in Ft. Oglethorpe, and many others (including an outlet mall) in a hundred mile radius. Ironically, my own town has really lousy shopping - not a single clothing store; seems it's mostly drug stores, auto supply stores, some antique shops, and food stores.  People are excited about the Bass Pro Shop they're bulding, but seriously - how many locals will actually have cause to shop there, especially on a regular basis?

Anyway, I also prefer classic styles, with a few "on-trend" (vs. trendy) pieces added each year.  I do enjoy shopping, but have to avoid it for a while - I have more than I can use, much of it with labels still on it. This season I made a point of wearing something different each time I went out and put each top away after it was washed, but even doing that didn't wear more than a fraction of what I have. Cat Frustrated

Sorry to hear about your dad, Karen.  Take all the time you need - everyone grieves in their own way, so don't listen to what people say.  You are blessed, though, to have a father who has left you with many good memories; some only remember abuse and/or neglect.  I'll keep you in prayer. 

Barbara, I too am glad your injury wasn't worse; take care of yourself!

Twinny, you live up North, right?  I've never seen milk in a bag outside of Canada.  I remember asking a clerk in the convenience store how people were supposed to pour it without spilling, and she told us about the special pitchers.

LindaL, I also got some kitchen cupboards cleaned out yesterday.  I packed a set of dishes - the ones I'd been using for everyday - for the thrift shop that helps the animals, and a few other things, such as fancy candles that I bought for the dinner parties I never have.  (sigh)  I now have all my storage containers on one shelf, so they're not stuck into odd corners and fall out when I open the cabinets.  I wish they didn't take up so much room, but - what can you do?  In the process I dropped  something on a dish from the set I'm now using for everyday (It has cats on it) and broke it; I had broken another one of the plates some time ago, so now I have odds and ends for everyday...at least until I get rid of them.  It's a shame about the cat set, though, seeing as I have matching canisters, soup tureen, and other pieces.  Oh well...

I guess I'd better get out to the pool; my time yesterday was cut short as it began to rain, but I guess it was a good thing - otherwise my homework would have been late; I submitted it just 45 minutes or so before the deadline.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Bird, you're going to love this; look at the side bar for more:

Marnie's birthday

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Arlene I just watched a couple of the Marnie videos.  The lady sure has lots of birds.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

You gals have been busy around here today. Our cookout at our pastor's home today was nice. thank goodness for lot of trees. We left at 2:30 as I was getting hot & looking forward to an A/C drive home & again in the house. Then I took a very nice 2 hour nap. I'll probably be up until late tonight. I hope that there is something good on TV. SYDSGMA. I am sorry to hear about you falling in your DS's shower. I hope that you didn't twix your knee too bad. You had a stressful job being a principal, so I bet that you really enjoy your much earned retirement. We have 3 DGC & they are all in 3 different schools again this year. They were excited when they started last week. BIRD MAMA, Yes our friend did have some great losses very close together. You did too. That was cute about you being a shoe watcher while sitting in the pew during services. I also hope that mom's October birthday party isn't really cold. It is a week late as our niece's daughter has her first homecoming dance on the 10th, our DGC all have soccer meets & my brothers kids have cross country meets that day. The 17th seemed to work better for most of them. It is supposed to rain tonight & all day tomorrow then the much loved 70's. MARIJANE, I am already missing our East coast trip. We have been 17 times & this is only the 2nd time that we have missed that wonderful vacation. LINDA L, It was funny when you said that you didn't sleep before a trip. I am exactly the same way. I am especially bad if we are going to be on a plane. I am afraid that we will miss our flight. Prayers for you & your DD & her family. She has had a rough year as have you. We would be going to the East Coast next year over Labor Day like we did the last two years. The temps were wonderful & we swam every day. Good luck with cleaning out & donating from your kitchen. Somebody will enjoy your generosity. I would have had a much worse mess than I did, but right before we went on vacation 3 years ago, I did a major declutter of the kitchen. Yes, I had one hour to get the rest of the stuff into boxes. That was the real hot summer, so DH & I just threw things into boxes as quickly as we could & stacked them all in the corner of the living room, which was also all torn apart. It took 3 months to get it all back together. DH washed the dishes in a dishpan in the bath tub for about 6 weeks. I think that the thing I missed the most was not having a kitchen sink & running water. One day I forgot that there was no drain where the sink used to be & I turned on the faucet, The guys in the basement got a quick shower. ARLENE, We live in S. WI. 45 miles S. of Madison. It sounds like the pool is being used quite often this summer. Good luck with your homework & your classes.