Occasional Contributor

Re: Shop Alone? Or With Friends?

I prefer to shop alone when I need to focus on updating my wardrobe or when I need something for an event.   That is my serious shopping and it can be done online or in a store. 

Shopping with friends is a more social outing where I may purchase something but most of the time it's just to get together for fun without buying.  We will mostly window shop and discuss trends over lunch. I can gather up ideas and then may follow-up on a solo shop if I am still thinking about an item.

Respected Contributor

Alone, with friends i don't like to look at things for myself.  i like to take my time in the fitting room and sometimes with sizing being so inconsistent i bring in a bunch of the same item.  i went to a jewelry boutique with a friend and she was right there looking at rings i was trying on, critiquing each one.  i ended up buying some incense.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't even like help from sales people. 

They can be pushy and annoying.  LOL

Gosh, where do you go where sales people offer to help?

(asking jokingly)

When I finally find something to buy I have to hunt half the store to find someone to check me out.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't even like help from sales people. 

They can be pushy and annoying.  LOL

Gosh, where do you go where sales people offer to help?

(asking jokingly)

When I finally find something to buy I have to hunt half the store to find someone to check me out.

LOL

I shop everywhere.

The last time I was in J Jill, the sales person put some things in the dressing room for me.  I was still browsing.  When I went into the dressing room, she put in 3 or 4 items she "thought" I might like.  I didn't like them at all.  I know why she did it - hoping I would like them and buy them.  That just annoys me.  If I need something, I'll ask.  Show me before you sneak them in amongst my other things at least.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Usually alone.  I can get to things more quickly.  Won't  have to wait for anyone, etc.  Shopping is a big deal for me.   I plan ahead. I  want to search/find something and get out of there fast.  

I will go with my sister or girlfriend only if we going to eat afterward.  

Respected Contributor

Both. Before my mom started having mobility issues she and her sister-in-law and sometimes another friend would do a weekend trip to the Lancaster outlets and have lunch. We had a good time. But I do like to shop alone as it's easier getting in and out and there will be stores that others don't want to go to, so nobody has to wait on you. 

Honored Contributor

If I 'm going out to see the new items, I don't mind a girlfriend, although, I may pick up something.

If I'm in a mission, like to find dress pants, then I'll go by myself.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I'll enjoy doing both. I have 2 friends I enjoy shopping with separately (as they don’t know each other) and then have lunch. We go to a mall that has smaller stores so we'll each look around and possibly try on clothes. We have never criticized each other’s purchases.

If I have time to kill before I need to be somewhere I’ll pop into one of the bigger malls by myself and look around.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo   My mom & I had a blast shopping together.We had similar tastes so that was never a problem. We would laugh a lot. Mom loved shoes so every shopping trip included buying shoes.Sometimes she would insist on paying.I would let her because it gave her so much joy.

Shopping also meant going out to breakfast or lunch.Or sometimes both. Lol!! I miss those days!!

Respected Contributor

When in B/M stores I definitely prefer to shop alone.  If I'm in a hurry, I can go in and out without waiting for someone else to get distracted or distract me.  Or, if I'm in the mood to stroll, I don't have to worry about holding someone else up.

The only exception is at craft fairs and shows.  For some reason, this just feels more like a social, do-with-a-friend activity and I don't enjoy myself neary as much if I'm alone.