Honored Contributor

Re: Shop Alone? Or With Friends?

When my mom was well, I enjoyed shopping with her, she and I liked to look at the same things, and while we enjoyed shopping, we didn't linger too long in any one place........Now she has a much harder time getting around. 

I prefer to shop by myself or with my daughters, one of whom loves to shop and the other likes to shop up to apoint, then she is ready to eat and relax! lol! 

Honored Contributor

With, not alone!

My DD is a great shopper, she can sniff out a bargain and we like the camaraderie.   Eventually we end up in a restaurant so there's that!

Also I have a friend who is a great shopper.   We do it for recreation, not always buying.  She may see something I missed.   She knows all the great little local shops.

We never judge and what happens in the store, stays in the store

No drama!

Honored Contributor

I am not much of an online shopper, I still enjoy going to the mall and up until about3  years ago I really enjoyed shopping with friends....lots of chit chat, laughter, shopping and lunch.

Things have changed a bit and while I still enjoy their company, the shopping trips are fewer and the last two trips I have opted out.  I think there are a few reasons....for me....the relationship changed when another person was added to the mix, I don't work full time any more and need less clothing, and one of the girls NEVER offers to drive, that drives me crazy, if you are gonna go, take your turn.

We still get together for dinner and I enjoy that time together.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo   If I'm really looking to buy for myself, then I'd rather go it alone.  I can move through a store like a viper.  If I just want to spend some fun time with a friend, or help someone else find something, then I'll gladly go along and plan to spend a couple hours or more!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I shop alone, would not want to take a friend. I like to go at my own pace and look at what I want.  Used to shop with my Mom when she was alive too and I do miss that.  We would go for lunch after.  Real store over Online Shopping any time.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

For those of us who prefer to shop in stores rather than online, do you prefer to shop by yourself?  or with girlfriends?

I remember my mom always went clothes shopping with her girlfriends.  When I've shopped with a friend, it's not very productive for me.  I get so much more done, try on more items, go to more store departments, etc., if I'm alone and can run amok on my own time schedule.  I make much better decisions by myself.  

Do you have a preference?  and why?

I feel exactly the way you do.  I have always preferred to shop alone.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Alone. I always shop alone. I used to shop with friends occassionally, but the final straw on that came a few years ago. We were in a jewelry store and I was interested in a piece. It was something I'd been looking for. As the sales associate quietly mentioned the price to me, one of the women I was with shrieked "OH MY GOD!!!! That's so expensive! You can't buy that!". Actually, it wasn't and while the other person in our group steered her outside, I completed the purchase. That was the end of ever shopping with other people. 

The only opinion I'm interested in is mine, regardless of whether it's about price, style, fit, etc. 

@FrostyBabe1   You reminded me of an experience I had with a friend many years ago.  A few of us used to get together a couple times a year to go to the huge gem and jewelry shows that used to come to our city.  It was a real high for us.  One friend and I were looking at two really high quality 14K tanzanite rings.  One was more expensive than the other, but I liked that one best.  While I was hemming and hawing about it, she asked to see it, then promptly told the guy, "I'll take it!"  That ring would be worth 8 times that amount today.  I never said anything to her, but I still think about it today.  (I ended up buying the other ring!)

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I don't even like help from sales people. 

They can be pushy and annoying.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo 

Yes, to all the reasons you cited in your OP.

Shopping alone is pleasurable, whereas shopping with others is like an endurance test. It's draining and absolutely exhausting.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely alone.   If I am with someone .... we make arrangements to meet after shopping ... at a nearby restaurant at a particular time.