Respected Contributor

Re: Shop Alone? Or With Friends?

Usually alone, but it depends on what I'm shopping for. If pants, definitely alone because it takes me so many tries to get the right fit and no one needs to deal with that. It would be so much easier if identically labeled items fit in an identical way. Instead, I can take 2 identical pairs of jeans in the dressing room and one will fit and another won't or will be longer/shorter.

If I need helping picking something for an occasion, with friends.

I like shopping for makeup with friends more than fashion. 

Honored Contributor

Alone.

And the only times I want any assistance from a salesperson is 1) ringing up a purchase and 2) in a men's store where I am usually lost.  

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I shop everywhere.

The last time I was in J Jill, the sales person put some things in the dressing room for me.  I was still browsing.  When I went into the dressing room, she put in 3 or 4 items she "thought" I might like.  I didn't like them at all.  I know why she did it - hoping I would like them and buy them.  That just annoys me.  If I need something, I'll ask.  Show me before you sneak them in amongst my other things at least.  LOL

I've had this happen to me as well, at several different stores. I definitely think it's part of their job requirements to get you to buy more, and they've gotten quite pushy with me. The only time it's ever worked in their favor was at Brook Brothers. I was trying on a black merino wool sweater, and the associate brought me the same sweater in a beautiful shade of purple that they hadn't put out on the floor yet, thinking that the color would look good on me. It did, and I got a discount for buying multiple pieces. 

The worst time was at Talbots. I was trying on skirts - all knee length and definitely professional business wear. The pushy associate brought me several LONG, patterned skirts that were just awful and not at all business appropriate. I finally asked her what made her think I would like those when they were clearly not the type of things I'd brought in to the room and just got a vague, non answer. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Alone or with my daughter.  Can't go with my sister, God love her, she can wander in a store for hours.  I'm an in and out person.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I shop everywhere.

The last time I was in J Jill, the sales person put some things in the dressing room for me.  I was still browsing.  When I went into the dressing room, she put in 3 or 4 items she "thought" I might like.  I didn't like them at all.  I know why she did it - hoping I would like them and buy them.  That just annoys me.  If I need something, I'll ask.  Show me before you sneak them in amongst my other things at least.  LOL

I've had this happen to me as well, at several different stores. I definitely think it's part of their job requirements to get you to buy more, and they've gotten quite pushy with me. The only time it's ever worked in their favor was at Brook Brothers. I was trying on a black merino wool sweater, and the associate brought me the same sweater in a beautiful shade of purple that they hadn't put out on the floor yet, thinking that the color would look good on me. It did, and I got a discount for buying multiple pieces. 

The worst time was at Talbots. I was trying on skirts - all knee length and definitely professional business wear. The pushy associate brought me several LONG, patterned skirts that were just awful and not at all business appropriate. I finally asked her what made her think I would like those when they were clearly not the type of things I'd brought in to the room and just got a vague, non answer. 

I'm sure they're told to do that.

I don't mind if they show me something first.  but just to sneak it in bugs me.

That's why I really prefer to be on my own.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I shop alone.  I like to look for sales and some people would think  I am cheap.  Actually, I have no friends now that are able to shop--either for health or financial reasons.    

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I shop everywhere.

What bothers me about Talbots is that a lot of the sales personnel think they are "stylists" when they are anything but. I had one put a ghastly dress in my fitting room that she told me would make me look and I quote "less up and down giving me a waist." It looked like something from "Little House and the Prairie." LOL

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of girlfriends who have impeccable taste and I do go shopping with them. The only issue is that they like to shop in Neiman Marcus and now being retired, I refuse to spend the kind of money that Neiman Marcus charges for simple sportswear.

My daughter has a real eye for fashion and what looks good on me but she lives out of state, so we rarely go shopping together anymore. I miss that....

Trusted Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady ,

Oh, my, how I wish I still had my DH to take me shopping and give me his opinion. Even when he was not at his best (cancer), when he was up to it he wanted to take me and he had excellent taste. He dressed conservatively. I dress quite a bit out there. He respected that. It was a beautiful thing.

I wish you and your DH many more happy years together, and I know he sees you as his babe. His babe--and your tremendous individualism--I really relate to that.

BTW, I would love to know what your hubby's style is in his own fashion sense.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

By myself. I can do what I want when I want. I can spend whatever I want on something and not feel weird about it if my friend thinks that’s to much. If I want to buy a $300 purse no one has to know but me. 

You’ve got a point! A friend was recently shocked that I spent $75 on a gorgeous Italian leather purse on sale when she got a perfectly functional fabric purse for $25. I didn’t mention the time she spent over $250 on a 8” x 10” painting in an Indian import shop. To each his own.

Oh I have a friend like that.  When at a Brighton store at the shore I had to hide the fact that I was buying a bracelet where she wouldn't appove of the price....I really don't need that bs!

@haddon9 @Eileen in Va.   Whoever wrote you bought a $75 Italian leather purse, where do you shop? I can’t believe you friend was shocked that it was expensive. I’m shocked that it was inexpensive. What a great buy.