Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shop Alone? Or With Friends?

@NicksmomESQ-- when I would shop with my mom, she'd always talk me into buying clothes I didn't want.  She'd say things like, "well, if you don't buy that, I'll buy it for you."  Since I never wanted her to pay for my stuff, I'd buy whatever it was.  Then return it to the store later.   We had very different tastes in clothing.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For the last 10 to 15 years or so I much prefer to shop online.  However occasionally I will go to a store and find that I'm much more productive shopping alone.

I find that if I go with friends then I have to either go to stores or departments that I'm not interested in and spend a lot of time letting my friends try on what they are interested in and giving my opinions.  It's the same way shopping with my daughter.  I find it exhausting!  I realize that some think it's fun but not to me.

I much prefer to do lunch and either a movie or other types of shopping (no clothes trying) when with friends.

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

By myself. I can do what I want when I want. I can spend whatever I want on something and not feel weird about it if my friend thinks that’s to much. If I want to buy a $300 purse no one has to know but me. 

You’ve got a point! A friend was recently shocked that I spent $75 on a gorgeous Italian leather purse on sale when she got a perfectly functional fabric purse for $25. I didn’t mention the time she spent over $250 on a 8” x 10” painting in an Indian import shop. To each his own.

Oh I have a friend like that.  When at a Brighton store at the shore I had to hide the fact that I was buying a bracelet where she wouldn't appove of the price....I really don't need that bs!

Regular Contributor

I shop alone.  I really don't enjoy shopping so when I do go, I know what I need, find it and I am out of there.  I took an elderly lady shopping in July.  I felt like I was wasting time - waiting for her to get through the store.  She browses a lot, where I do not browse ever!

Honored Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

DH drives me on those rare times I'm out and about  shopping. I usually ask for his input on how things look on me. . 

@Still Stylish Lady   DH hates to shop with me!  One time in particular I was in a gift shop in Cape May.  I looked around to ask his opinion on something and saw him sitting outside on a bench....forget it I just don't bother anymore.

Honored Contributor

Definitely alone unless it's a day out with a friend for lunch and shopping.

Respected Contributor

Alone. For me, there’s nothing more boring than to stand around while my friend looks at items that don’t interest me.

The only time DH and I shop together is when we’re on vacation. 

Honored Contributor

Definitely prefer shopping alone these days. When I used to shop with friends, while I enjoyed the company, I really didn't enjoy the shopping part of the excursion.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia  -- Yes, to each his/her own.   Funny, but I totally understand why someone would spend $250 on a painting and only $25 on a purse.  We all have different priorities. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I shop alone 99% of the time. It's too difficult to shop with others as we all go different directions looking at what interests each person. Unless DH needs something specific we'll go together but this doesn't happen that often.