Super Contributor
I'm going to Ireland for ten days next month. I have a long day of travel getting there that includes 8 hrs in Dulles. I hate pack too many shoes! I'm certainly bring my comfy Dansko's, and probably a pair of the Sketcher slip ons. I'm obsessing over what other pair to take. A sporty tie up style, athletic shoes? I don't think we will be going to any dress up places. Shoes take up soo much room! Any ideas?
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a great trip. When I travel, I usually only take a carry-on so I wear nice but comfortable sneakers, take a nice pair of flats that work for both casual and a little dressy, and my slippers are from LL Bean and take up no space and can actually go in my handbag so that I can get them during the flight, if necessary.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor
I only wish I was such a light packer! I could never just do a carry on. I am trying to tone it down for this trip!
Super Contributor

Yumagirl, my travels are usually for two weeks in the summer and I wear a pair of sneakers (Skechers) and bring a nice pair of sandals as well as flip flops. I hate not having more shoes for two weeks, but it's just not easy to bring more than that when flying. Hope you have a great trip!

Respected Contributor
I'm facing this dilemma in two weeks but I am going to London.I will probably wear UGG short boots on plane. I will wear dressy ankle booties for the both nights of theater and other nicer thingd. I have no idea what I will take for museums,walking,shopping,etc. I am perplexed.
Honored Contributor

I was in Ireland for 3 weeks last April! If you have not been it is a beautiful country, green, green with farming plots divided up by old stone walls, sheep and huge cows everywhere. Honestly my photos look just like the postcards you see.

On this trip I wore my walking shoes so I would be comfy on the flight and then have them for walking around is castles and such. I packed a second pair of walking shoes just to be able to alternate. While in Dublin I did go to church and to the theater to see an Oscar Wilde play. I thought it was so great to see one of his plays in his 'home' theater, in the city of his birth. For both the theater and church I wore a longish, knit dress with a lightweight jacket and dressy scarf, along with a pair of clarks 'ballet' shoes I had packed. I was not underdressed for either. Going out to pubs or dinner at night I wore jeans and my blazer along with the same flats. Ireland, even in the cities, is not a dressy place.

You will encounter cobble stone, or slate streets and sidewalks even in the larger cities, and certainly in the country. IMHO flats are the way to go. Also, in April it will still be coolish in Ireland.

Have a wonderful trip!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I wear good tie-up shoes (helps with swelling on the plane, and I wear compression stockings too.) I usually wear the heaviest shoe unless I'm bringing boots, which of course get packed. I bring a second pair of shoes that are comfy but work appropriate, if I will be going to meetings or need to dress less casually. For dress, I bring pretty strappy sandals rather than heels, as we might be walking on old city streets to dinner, and I can't do heels on cobblestones. The sandals are Vionics.

Trusted Contributor

I'm dealing with the same thing. School trip to Italy during spring break. We are out literally all day. I did buy a pair of black Sketchers Go Walk to wear but want to bring another pair of comfy shoes. We don't go anywhere dressy so will probably wear sneakers and pack the Go Walks. We start in Milan and leave from Capri so it will warm up as we head south.

Enjoy your trip!

Frequent Contributor

I have a home in Ireland so I think that I can help.

It will be chilly and possible rain a bit of every day. Wear your largest shoes and bring another if you feel you must. Make sure that your shoes are dark, no white tennis shoes.

Ireland is very safe, especially when compared with the rest of the world. I don't worry about anything like pickpockets, but I do worry about the drivers, especially at night. We have a lot of road accidents in Ireland.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am sure you will want to purchase at least one hand knit sweater there so leave a bit of room in your luggage.

Respected Contributor
On 3/8/2015 So Happy Girl said:

I have a home in Ireland so I think that I can help.

It will be chilly and possible rain a bit of every day. Wear your largest shoes and bring another if you feel you must. Make sure that your shoes are dark, no white tennis shoes.

Ireland is very safe, especially when compared with the rest of the world. I don't worry about anything like pickpockets, but I do worry about the drivers, especially at night. We have a lot of road accidents in Ireland.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am sure you will want to purchase at least one hand knit sweater there so leave a bit of room in your luggage.

thanks for the reminder about white tennis shoes....it's easy to forget that part. I don't think white tennis shoes are okay anywhere in Europe?