Trusted Contributor

Shirts that I have with nylon or viscose are pilling; anyone else having this problem?

I started buying clothes from JJill last year. I love their styles, but the three tops that I bought that contain acrylic and/or viscose is are pilling something terrible.

I usually only wear natural fibers in tops, mostly cotton for shirts, and I don't have this problem with them. Is it those materials that is the problem?

Also, why are retailers using acrylic in their sweater formulations more now? Even LLBEan, my favorite clothing retailer has just started using acrylic in some of their sweaters. I will not buy anything ever again with acrylic. It is a cheap fabric that pills. Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Shirts that I have with nylon or viscose are pilling; anyone else having this problem?

Not all fabrics are created equal and pilling isn't based on content. Not everything with acrylic or vicose pills and I have cotton, wool, and cashmere items that do pill. 

I wish there were a way to identify which items will and will not pill before buying, but I don't know of one aside from reading reviews.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shirts that I have with nylon or viscose are pilling; anyone else having this problem?

Go here: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Pilling-From-Clothing

Here are some of the 'shavers' they talk about.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-fabric-shavers?id=adw&gclid=CIbs_MbmsNACFUZWDQodU-wJ0A

If you get a good one they work really well.  They don't damage the material but they get rid of those ugly little 'pills' on the clothes.

Honored Contributor

Pillng is caused when fabric rubs againt itself or something else.  I rarely have a problem with pilling and on the rare occasion that I do ... a fabric shaver takes care of it.

I happen to like acrylic blends.  

Respected Contributor

Nothing annoys me more than pilling, especially on my favorite things.  I have always used a disposable razor to rid of my pilling.  I have never cut or ruined anything I have shaved.  I have been tempted to try the pilling gadgets, but I don't need to fix something that is not broke.  I would love to avoid pilling in general, but until then, my razor will do just fine!

Honored Contributor

Last year I bought A lace sleeve Denim & Co shirt  that had nylon lace sleeves - wore it and washed it ONCE and those sleeves were ruined. Horribly pilled. I threw it away.

Esteemed Contributor

Rayon and acrylic are notorious for pilling and it really shows in solid colored fabrics or knits.

Honored Contributor

Did you wash them in the washing machine?  Did you dry them in the dryer?   Regardless of what the care instructions say, I wash my in my sink by hand and dry them on the drying rack I got from Amazon.  Machine washing and drying (even gentle) is too rough for synthetic sweaters, that's what cause the pilling. 

Occasional Contributor

I really like the weight of these fabrics as I've gotten into the layering trend.  I wash mine inside out on the delicate cycle and line dry (or lay flat.)  In fact, I've gotten to where I wash everything inside out to avoid fading and piling.  It's working well.