Esteemed Contributor

QVC just played a video of Jennifer Coffey explaining she would "style" the TSV dress by wrapping a long sleeve button front top around the waist.  I know people sometimes wrap shirts around the waist, but do you consider that "styling", or just a place to put a shirt you just realized you didn't want to wear?

isaac tsv.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Shirt tied around the waist

Looks like 1960's "sorority style" to me.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Many women who have no intention of wearing it, tie a sweater around their shoulders wearing it for a shot of color like a scarf. The sweater around the waist is more likely to have been worn and cast aside.  It looks a little too preppy or apres tennis. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

She's usually well dressed, I'm so surprised she would even consider that styling. 

Honored Contributor

Well......it "could" keep the back of your pants clean....if you ride the subway to work.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's not a "style," but a necessity.  Maybe, like me, she always has to have a lightweight sweater handy for those overly air conditioned buildings.  When it's 100 degrees in the parking lot, but 62 degrees inside the restaurant type of thing.   I often have a lightweight summer sweater tied around my waist or my shoulders. 

As usual, @Desertdi - I like the way you think.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I don't really consider this a style aspect or an accessory to make an outfit look better.  I have tied a sweater around my waist this way or around my shoulders if I am out and about and I get warm or if I think I will need the extra warmth and don't want to carry it around with me.  If I wanted to accessorize, I'd add a scarf or belt!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see that as a "style."  I never see people wearing a shirt tied around their waist.  I don't see people wearing a sweater over their shoulders tied at their neck either.  

I'm not usually a fan of shirts or tops tied at the waist either.  I think it looks sloppy.  You have a big wrinkly knot to deal with.

Trusted Contributor

I don't consider it a style, I consider it a handy way to carry your jacket

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The TSV is a comfortable dress, but it denies women the opportunity to show their figure.  Jennifer has a fit, small figure and always prefers very tight fitting, body conscious clothes on air.  My take is that she styled the dress with the sweater tied around her waist to accentuate her small waist and shape inside that shift/swing-style dress.  She could have worn a belt -- same effect.

Notice this morning, Leah has worn a long duster over the dress all morning (except when presenting it with Isaac for 5 minutes).  The duster gives Leah the appearance of long and lean, instead of that swing design, stopping above the knee (which makes you look wider).