Honored Contributor

Re: Shirt tied around the waist

I don't consider tieing around the waist "styling",  I think it's rather sloppy.

Honored Contributor

I have always liked the style--more now than ever.  I'd sure take it any day over the just-rolled-out-of-bed style that seems to be so common now.

In the summer unless it's cool morning and nite where you live it is a little pointless--like a lot of fashion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Well......it "could" keep the back of your pants clean....if you ride the subway to work.........

It actually reminds me of people trying to hide their behinds.

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Maybe it's not a "style," but a necessity.  Maybe, like me, she always has to have a lightweight sweater handy for those overly air conditioned buildings.  When it's 100 degrees in the parking lot, but 62 degrees inside the restaurant type of thing.   I often have a lightweight summer sweater tied around my waist or my shoulders. 

As usual, @Desertdi - I like the way you think.

JC describes this as a "style."  It is a button front top.  Not a sweater.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's at all attractive - looks sloppy and you end up with a wrinkled shirt.  

The look is familiar - and I just googled to see if I could find when it began .... and found at "thefashiontag.com/90s--trend-shirts-around-the-waist/"

HOT 90's Trend:  Shirts Around the Waist.  YES or NO?

Aside from the imminent inner cry and panic I’m getting right now (talk about feeling old), this trend is pretty darn great. In a casual meets cool kinda way. Plus a slap in the face from reality. You know you’re practically ancient when you’ve witnessed & done the trend second time around.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't think it's at all attractive - looks sloppy and you end up with a wrinkled shirt.  

The look is familiar - and I just googled to see if I could find when it began .... and found at "thefashiontag.com/90s--trend-shirts-around-the-waist/"

HOT 90's Trend:  Shirts Around the Waist.  YES or NO?

Aside from the imminent inner cry and panic I’m getting right now (talk about feeling old), this trend is pretty darn great. In a casual meets cool kinda way. Plus a slap in the face from reality. You know you’re practically ancient when you’ve witnessed & done the trend second time around.

Interesting @ALRATIBA I was around in the 1990s.  In my thirties.  Don't remember this trend.  

I have seen this done, when someone takes off a shirt they don't need, or, as I said above, very young women trying to hide some kind of accident.  Not a plan...

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is styling. Style is a way of doing something or your style is what you wear. Does not matter if I like it or think it looks good for it to be styling a dress.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@songbird  I like the length too.  But I don't like the TSV swing design.  It's a little too much extra material widening the hips for me.  A belt is fantastic for that (but I don't wear belts Smiley Very Happy)

The two t-shirt dresses I already own and love are this same length I think.  By Denim & Co. Beach in perfect jersey (item A254235), but sold out.  It's at least 3 or 4 years old.  That dress is less of the swing in the bottom half, and is more a shift style and my preferred v-neck, with pockets.    It's actually called a cover-up, but what's in a name?  It's my perfect t-shirt dress.

This A254235 is a pretty dress!  This is also a favorite neckline of mine.  They called it a beach cover up!  I would wear that to the office.  Would really dress up with a jacket.

Super Contributor

I think she is just trying to give this shapeless dress an actual waist shape.  

(No offense to shapeless dresses - I wore one yesterday)

Honored Contributor

@donovan 

I've never understood the desire to have a waist shape!  Smiley Wink   

Having a small waist makes your hips look bigger!  And the shirt tied that way makes your rear look enormous!

I have wide shoulders and narrow body - I'm not shapeless .... my shape is a T.  All my dresses are "T" shaped.

------------------------------------

@donovan wrote:

I think she is just trying to give this shapeless dress an actual waist shape.  

(No offense to shapeless dresses - I wore one yesterday)