Valued Contributor

Re: Shawn- your 'personal jewelry' item presentations need a change in tone.

There must have been a change in command over the years that switched the style of sales pitching.  In the past, host described the products in a calm, precise manner, the preferred method stated by many posters here. 
I can only attribute the new method of selling is due to staff meetings where hosts are instructed by their "go with whatever works" producers and whom ever in command, to chat  incessantly, tell long, boring stories, tug on heartstrings, use silly humor and ridiculous catch phrases (stinking cute), roll eyes, play up yummy faces and the ever popular happy dancing.   It shows an overall lack of dignity and professionalism, in my opinion.  There must be a happy medium to explain and sell an item in an upbeat fun manner without being stodgy or annoying. 

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

@Lyttlewyng wrote:
There must have been a change in command over the years that switched the style of sales pitching.  In the past, host described the products in a calm, precise manner, the preferred method stated by many posters here. 
I can only attribute the new method of selling is due to staff meetings where hosts are instructed by their "go with whatever works" producers and whom ever in command, to chat  incessantly, tell long, boring stories, tug on heartstrings, use silly humor and ridiculous catch phrases (stinking cute), roll eyes, play up yummy faces and the ever popular happy dancing.   It shows an overall lack of dignity and professionalism, in my opinion.  There must be a happy medium to explain and sell an item in an upbeat fun manner without being stodgy or annoying. 

If I am watching something of interest perchance, when the host begins telling a story about herself or anything, I move on immediately. 

Trusted Contributor

I found it interesting that Shawn made a comment one day while presenting a jewelry item with the Lord's Prayer (Our Father) written on it.

She said she did not even know what it was until she was in her 30's! My jaw dropped!

That was one of the first prayers I learned as a small child, and I cannot imagine a person who professes to be "spiritual" or "prayerful" not even having some sort of knowledge of the Lord's Prayer.

Once she said that, all of her spiritual presentations fell flat with me.

Trusted Contributor

Tinkrbl44.......your post is totally uncalled for, mean and insensitive.  Because someone enjoys inspirational jewelry, you felt it necessary to tell the poster 'why not try going to church'?????'  How do you know what she does and besides it's really not your business.

I get it, you dislike Shawn but there is absolutely no need to be rude to a  poster who enjoys her presentations.

Trusted Contributor

Did it ever occur to you that maybe something that happened in her life in her 30's made her turn to God and find her religion?  I know several people who go to my church that this happened to, were never religious and were baptized in their 30's and 40's.  

Trusted Contributor

She needs to try another sales pitch.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know that there was a time limit on when you can find God, for you to be considered spiritual. 

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@Luvtoshopathome wrote:

You all really need to think before you post.  Do you really think she would continue to tell her stories or her way of selling inspirational jewelry if QVC didn't approve or maybe even encourage her to do so?  I'm sure the Q makes tons of money when she sells this jewelry because so many people can relate to her.  I enjoy her shows but then maybe because I've been through a serious illness and if it wasn't for my faith, I might not still be here.  

Some of you need to get your facts straight and maybe if you knew anything about Shawn, you would know that she ONLY wears heels when hosting her shows, as do other hosts who have stated so.  She has said that in her personal life, she never wears heels, doesn't carry large expensive handbags, dresses up or even wears little or no makeup.  Have you ever seen photos of her when she's not on the Q?  

What this is is just another lets bash Shawn thread.   No one is making any of you watch or listen to her so just change the channel.

OP here. Silly comments. I don't care what shoes Shawn wears. I don't care if her maudlin, dreary sales pitch is approved by Q or makes money. It's in poor taste.

I don't dislike Shawn, but I agree she's playing the "sadness card".    It should stop, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Luvtoshopathome wrote:

Tinkrbl44.......your post is totally uncalled for, mean and insensitive.  Because someone enjoys inspirational jewelry, you felt it necessary to tell the poster 'why not try going to church'?????'  How do you know what she does and besides it's really not your business.

I get it, you dislike Shawn but there is absolutely no need to be rude to a  poster who enjoys her presentations.

Whoa!    No need to get defensive here.   You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine (which I thought was a tad sarcastic, not mean).    If you post something on a message board it's open for comment and response, and you can't say later "it's none of your business".   That's not how message boards work.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think Shawn is a very spiritual person.  And in her no -filter world, she just takes her feelings and runs with them.

That may be so and be appropriate in her PERSONAL LIFE,  but for PROFESSIONAL presentations, we shouldn't have to be subjected to these downers.     Why not just stick to describing the item?   

She's obvously selling.  If she wasn't, she'd be told by TPTB to stop.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"