Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shawn- your 'personal jewelry' item presentations need a change in tone.

@tedEbear wrote:

I personally, change the channel on the sad dogs,cats,children, wounded warriors, whenever a commercial is trying to break my heart.  I cannot give to every single thing in the world. It hurts to see these ads over and over and over...........on and on.  I stopped watching SK about her 3rd time hosting.   JUST DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DONT LIKE SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----tedEbear

I thought I was the only one who did this when the ASPCA commercials come on. I just can't watch those, and now I don't like the songs they use either because they evoke heartache. It's easy to change the channel. I used to enjoy SK in the early days, but choose not to watch those presentations anymore. I think you can burn out on just about everyone.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Whatever sells.  If the sales aren't there they would have her change speel.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the OP also..But, maybe a little weird on my part, why would I want something that reminds someone of a death of a loved one, a hard time in life etc? ..It actually would (did) stop me from buying the product..I do not want something like a bad omen like hanging on me.. Peace...

Honored Contributor

I take her stories with a grain of salt. She will say whatever it takes to pull at our heartstrings-- even if disingenuois-- if it will increase sales.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

I personally, change the channel on the sad dogs,cats,children, wounded warriors, whenever a commercial is trying to break my heart.  I cannot give to every single thing in the world. It hurts to see these ads over and over and over...........on and on.  I stopped watching SK about her 3rd time hosting.   JUST DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DONT LIKE SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----tedEbear

I thought I was the only one who did this when the ASPCA commercials come on. I just can't watch those, and now I don't like the songs they use either because they evoke heartache. It's easy to change the channel. I used to enjoy SK in the early days, but choose not to watch those presentations anymore. I think you can burn out on just about everyone.

Me three!  I just cannot watch these commercials.  Breaks my heart.  As to Shawn's presentations, I actually think she is pretty genuine with respect to her spiritual feelings.  But in terms of selling merchandise, after a while, it just kind of cheapens the whole thing.  I get that inspirational jewelry can be meaningful to people, but too much of a good thing ...

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Shawn frequently speaks of people dying, loss, her relationship to God in her jewelry presentations. She did it yesterday and I turned the channel. It's way too much. I find it innapropriate- goodness, I am not watching her for counseling!  

I think she may be so open about this because of the shoppers.  When she was pregnant there were so may posts of is she/isn't she that when she shared her devistation it because a part of who she it.  I don't find it a selling tactic but information about her. 

People complain about the hosts not telling the truth and they complain when they are too truthful.  With so many viewers and posters asking so many personal questions it hard for that information to not make it into who you are on air.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I just can't believe all the stories. I remember how she used to say she had bad feet and had to visit the foot doctor all the time when she was selling those vionic shoes. Now she is selling this jewelry in shoes sporting  6" stiletto heels.....

And then she was wearing 5 inch stilletos
!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I find it tasteless to ues people's misfotunes to move products. I just can't watch.

I find it offensive and I find it offensive to use faith to hard-sell.  Mary Beth is very open about her faith, but I have never heard her cross the line into inappropriate.

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the stainless steel angel charm bracelet J55596  that was an OTO yesterday (and it ended up as a waitlisted item so it sold out in the stainless steel color) but I do find Shawn's presentations for spiritual jewelry depressing. Yes I know her father-in-law has recently passed away so this is a difficult time of the year for her and her husband and she frequently refers to a good friend that passed away 15 years ago but I don't really want to hear those personal details of her life. I wanted to hear about the angel bracelet, how much it weighs, if it's easy to fasten as I was considering buying this bracelet. I wish another host would have been presenting this bracelet so I could decide on this item from the facts.

Valued Contributor

There's a line between genuinely touching the hearts of the viewers with sharing a common life story of adversity and then milking the story to the point of making viewers feel uncomfortable enough to change the channel.   Sadly,  SK may not realize that, when she over shares,  she only encourages callers to go into detail about their similar stories, which, in turn,  has more views switching the channel.  
In my opinion the percentage of sales using that kind of pitch is small.  
My guess is there's quite a bit of channel changing due to sob stories,  bragging about family,  goofy behavior or silly antics.
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~