Honored Contributor

No shaper.

At 56 I'm no hard body but I don't wear such flimsy fabrications as to show every lump, bump and divot!

I felt Spanx for the first time not that long ago and was a little shocked at the weight and thickness of the garment. When I mentioned it to the SA she told me that whenever she wears her Spanx someone would ask her when the baby was due!

Yes I know they come in different 'strengths' but I'm uncomfortable in compression leggings! I can't imagine I'll ever wear shapewear (willingly)

Respected Contributor

So I got a form fitting bodycon dress for a recent wedding last Saturday. At 60, I'm a workout person, so I am tall and thin. However, so as to not show any undergarment lines below the waist, I got a spanx thinstincts "boy short". They are really thin and lghtweight, but I tried on the dress with/without. Definitely need it for overall smoothness. The dress laid much better with it on and I never knew I had it on. Very comfortable. I prefer a foundation under some stuff. 

Honored Contributor

Unless they specifically advertise that the garment will take inches away, that should not be expected. Shapers are generally lightweight with light support for smoothing.

I've never seen any that advertise that they ADD inches though... very strange!

Honored Contributor

Re: Shaper or no shaper?

[ Edited ]

I used to wear Spanx once in a while, but I haven't worn anything like that for years. I am in my 50s with definite menopausal bulges here and there. I don't wear anything that form fitting to really need one. IMO a shaper should make you look and feel better. If not, why wear one?