Honored Contributor

Several events to attend and would like help

I have about all of them figured out but I have one that is bugging me.

I plan to wear a black crepe dress with an overlay of chiffon.  It is right above my knee and I am wearing textured black hose with black matte pumps (3-1/2 inch pointed toes), opera length pearls, pearl earrings, diamind tennis bracelet and need to wear a coat because it will be cold and would like to wear my long black velvet coat. Can I wear that in March to a black tie evening event, or is it too late in the year?

Honored Contributor

Re: Several events to attend and would like help

The outfit sounds beautiful.  If you're in a cold area, a bright summer like outfit would be out of place actually. 

We're having a polar blast most of next week with mornings in the teens.  We'll certainly dress for the weather.

Have fun!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much, ECBG.  That is what I am seeing from the weather map.  I had planned to wear a jumpsuit and an evening jacket but the jumpsuit is spaghetti straps and too spring/summer seasonal.  I changed my mind.  Thank you for your advice.  I trust your advice very much.  Thanks again.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday , I think your outfit and jewerly sound very nice, have fun!

Respected Contributor

Your outfit sounds lovely and yes you can definitely wear a long velvet coat in March. March is the blustery month and here in CO one of our biggest snow months. However all over it is still not considered Spring so you will perfectly appropriate.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday I think it sounds beautiful.  Black is always ok for formal events.  March around here can be colder and snowier than December!  

Have a great time!

Esteemed Contributor

your outfit seems very elegant!  whether or not to wear the velvet coat imo would depend on the weather and where you are. i think it is a game day decision unless you know it will be colder than 30s.  i would not wear velvet in the 40s unless it were December.  So i would have an alternative ready.  Honestly, I probably would not wear velvet in March.  i would wear a silky finish lined coat to finish your gorgeous outfit.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

your outfit seems very elegant!  whether or not to wear the velvet coat imo would depend on the weather and where you are. i think it is a game day decision unless you know it will be colder than 30s.  i would not wear velvet in the 40s unless it were December.  So i would have an alternative ready.  Honestly, I probably would not wear velvet in March.  i would wear a silky finish lined coat to finish your gorgeous outfit.

@NYCLatinaMe   I ended up wearing a pair of crepe palazzo pants and a black blazer.  Good thing I did.  The host wore the same dress I had planed to wear and the honoree of the event had on a black velvet coat just like the one I planned to wear, so though I was underdressed for the event, at least I did not hurt anyone's feelings by having same or similar clothing on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe   I ended up wearing a pair of crepe palazzo pants and a black blazer.  Good thing I did.  The host wore the same dress I had planed to wear and the honoree of the event had on a black velvet coat just like the one I planned to wear, so though I was underdressed for the event, at least I did not hurt anyone's feelings by having same or similar clothing on.

YIkes!  close call. I am glad it all worked out...