Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously, who put this outfit together and thought it looked good?

@AvalonRose wrote:

@Sooner no one is body shaming the model.  She's a gorgeous curvy woman - which is so beautiful.  The outfit is ridiculous and the person who put it together should be made to wear it out in public.  It would look bad on Amy's xxxxs body and on the XXL body.  It's just plain ugly the way it was put together.

@AvalonRose My point is that people are shocked and so horrified because it is NOT on a slim model.  They are outraged because it does not make the model look smaller than she is.  They are upset mostly because it is  look on a larger woman that does not make her look slimmer

When we go there at all, to me that is body shaming.  It's like oh how could they do that to her!  Do what, have her wear a belt?  That may not make her look smaller?  

So if you put all here into perspective, that's what the whole flap is about.  It isn't about the belt and jacket.  It is about who the belt and jacket is ON.  Many are ashamed and outraged that a larger woman is wearing a belt and thick jacket.  If you read, that's the issue here.  So why is that such an affront to all of humanity?  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  - any sized model would look silly with a belt right under her breasts.  It has nothing to do with the size of the current model.   As @AvalonRose  just posted - it would look just as bad on Amy's body.

This entire thread is about the outfit and not the size of the model.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AvalonRose wrote:

@Sooner no one is body shaming the model.  She's a gorgeous curvy woman - which is so beautiful.  The outfit is ridiculous and the person who put it together should be made to wear it out in public.  It would look bad on Amy's xxxxs body and on the XXL body.  It's just plain ugly the way it was put together.

@AvalonRose My point is that people are shocked and so horrified because it is NOT on a slim model.  They are outraged because it does not make the model look smaller than she is.  They are upset mostly because it is  look on a larger woman that does not make her look slimmer

When we go there at all, to me that is body shaming.  It's like oh how could they do that to her!  Do what, have her wear a belt?  That may not make her look smaller?  

So if you put all here into perspective, that's what the whole flap is about.  It isn't about the belt and jacket.  It is about who the belt and jacket is ON.  Many are ashamed and outraged that a larger woman is wearing a belt and thick jacket.  If you read, that's the issue here.  So why is that such an affront to all of humanity?  

I;m not sure why you are hellbent on the idea of body shaming. What have you heard stylists say about fasion in like, forever? Wear clothes that accentuate   your body type. Heavier set girls can look quite nice in the right clothing. In this model's case, why would she, or anyone else, want to wear something that actually makes her look b bulky and heavy? Would a slim girl like Amy grab for clothing that say, make her look pregnant or short and stocky instead of looking her correct size? 

I don't think this thread in any way is an example of body shaming, Why would anyone looking at a "style" be ashamed and outraged because of who it is on? With that said if a size 2 girl wore an outfit that had a tunic way too long and flowy, color was all wrong for the complexion and shoes were not the right choice with the clothing and we critiqued that look, would we be body shaming her too?

You're thinking way too much about the actual point of this thread, which is, the stylist did a bad job putting together this outfit whether he put it on slim girl or heavier one,

Valued Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@AvalonRose wrote:

And that is your opinion. My opinion is that the picture would not have been posted if the outfit was being worn by a model who is not "curvy" as you put it.

I would have posted that picture of the whole ensemble was put on a mannikin, 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I have to disagree with you.  This has nothing to do with the size of the model. 

That get-up is ugly and would be  just as horrible on a mannequin.

That outfit missed it's mark.  No one is running to the phones to buy it. The stylist needs to go back to square one and start over.

Esteemed Contributor

The model is very pretty, but the outfit leaves me shaking my head. Even without the belt, I question whether it would be figure flattering, or still overwhelm her.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@violann wrote:

Seriously, let's make 2020 the year when we women stop judging each other for fashion choices which, after all ARE based on how we see OUR BEST SELVES, and NOT based on what some anonymous fashionista thinks about how WE look.

this has nothing to do with judging this woman. It is a critique of the stylist who put this outfit together. The model is gorgeous. I do think we can continue to discuss and like/dislike clothing items without it bashing someone. Would YOU look at that outfit and buy it because it is so flattering on her the way it is presented? After all, that's what this shopping channel is trying to do, make you want to buy something, 

@PinkSunset 

download (2).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My point is that if it were on a tall thin model, I don't think the comments would have been as much about being shocked and horrified.  And that a larger women will always engender MORE criticism about an outfit NOT being flattering.  As in "cover it up we don't want to see it."

Being honest.  I have seen both sides of the issue.  Not an issue now, but at one time, although not obese, I can vouch for the fact that larger women are more harshly criticized for things like this.  It's not a choice for them, or simply not a good look.  People are shocked. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What if, instead of a model paid to wear what she is given, the outfit were put together by a woman just like her but not a model?

What then?  And what if she were so happy with her size that she WANTED to emphasize herself by using that belt?  

I think @Sooner has a point.  It may not have even been noticed if someone tall and slim were wearing the same outfit.

I like everything about the outfit (except I am not a fan of the belt on the outside of the sweater).  If there has to be a belt, it could have been just over the shirt and under the sweater.  It's actually a nice, casual belt.  And really, haven't we gotten past believing only solids go with patterns?  Haven't we yet accustomed our eyes to pattern mixing? Frankly, these patterns aren't even that drastic.  I like it for a Southwestern look.  

Maybe the stylist is constrained by the QVC belt dictum: Use belts or else!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

She is stunning though!