Esteemed Contributor

Re: Serenas TS on HSN - 9-23

I was surfing HSN's website last night so I watched the TS presentation with Serena. Those drop shoulder tops are ugly and ill fitting.  She looks like she has football shoulders in that top. 

She also is another celebrity vendor who looks uncomfortable selling products on live tv.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to look at the fabric content of mine at home.  I'm guessing they are the same.  I think I am mistaken and last year's was also sold as a "sweater" and people were expecting something thicker.  It's more of a net that has a slightly "fuzzy" hand to make it seem sweaterish but I wouldn't really call it a sweater. 

I can only speak to last years but IMO if one is very busty, it wasn't a good look.  My SIL ordered one and she is built opposite of me.  She is very large chested, broad shouldered and thin through the hips, butt and legs.  She had to stick with her normal size to fit her chest and I thought was very unflattering and made her look PG.   

Respected Contributor

I think it's really cute, but the collar is too high.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

Serena looks awful today on air....those leather leggings she is squeezed into look painful  and the hat......she looks like a man.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a presentation very early this morning. I think in person these tops will look cheap and sloppy. I think Serena is the greatest woman tennis player of all time...not so much as a designer or fashion leader.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I checked last year's tops.  Today's TS is the exact same fabric.   I personally wouldn't call them a sweater though.  If someone is expecting a sweater, they are going to be disappointed.  I'd say they are a cross between a sweater and a knit top.      

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Last year Serena did a TS top that had a solid body but the sleeves were a different color and it had an asymetrical hem where it came to a point on just one side.  It was desribed as a knit but in reality it was more like a thin sweater.

I initially bought 1 in royal blue with black sleeves then eventually went back and bought one in mocha with dark gray sleeves.  I love those tops and have worn them to death.  They wash well, don't pill and are still in great shape.

I'm giving these some serious thought but I want to watch a presentation.  I was able to size down one size in the tops last year.

I have this Serena top in black/charcoal-  I  imagine the knit in today's ts is proably the same. Thinner knit and it doesnt cling- I wash mine in warm water and hang to dry. It's held up well!

Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

I was surfing HSN's website last night so I watched the TS presentation with Serena. Those drop shoulder tops are ugly and ill fitting.  She looks like she has football shoulders in that top. 

She also is another celebrity vendor who looks uncomfortable selling products on live tv.

Serena Williams comes across as being aloof and reserved even when being interviewed by hordes of media after her many accomplishments in professional tennis.  She's been in front of cameras all over the world and done countless ads, but if you notice most of her advertising work doesn't entail speaking.  She has a nice voice and definitely seems to be intelligent to speak to hordes of international media without a script, but that said she never looks comfortable to me speaking to large groups of people.  I think that's the problem when she's on HSN.  I couldn't watch her with Amy any longer than it took me to see the top.  Reaon being for that particular host, cooing and gushing, instead of using communicative words has taken over her presentations (in every show). Serena appears much more relaxed and in the moment when she's on with a Bobbi Ray, Suzanne, or even the chatty Shannon.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't think the tops are horrible, but I don't think they are special enough to be a TS.  Also, I can tell by the picture that the sleeves will be too short for me.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@june22 wrote:

Serena looks awful today on air....those leather leggings she is squeezed into look painful  and the hat......she looks like a man.

ITA .