Honored Contributor

Re: Semi-Annual Closet Switch Has Begun!

@nyc1   My mater bedroom closet system includes shelves for handbags and also for shoes.  I love it.  The only problem is that I have too many shoes and handbags and have to store some of them in other closets and in zippered shoes storage containers under two beds.

They're worth every penny and keep things organized.  I just wish every closet of mine was done.

Valued Contributor

Not quite there yet.  Closet switch means some donating but largely storing items in tubs to be brought out next year.  I keep my clothes from year to year and wear them over and over again.  Clothes are expensive now.  And, I have some favorites.  Lucky I have a dry basement and a place to store them.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I can relate! 

I was "influenced" (not mentioning any names or TV stations) back in the 90s to "dress outside the box" and ended up with a modge-podge of stuff in the closet.  I had "outfits" that didn't go with anything else.

Then in 1997 I saw Linda Dano's book "Looking Great."  I followed her advice and the rest is history.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA   It's a chore each season, right? I'm beginning this weekend and think I'll have plenty to donate.

I took a chance with a bit of color over the winter and most were never worn. I should have paid more attention to my style and preferences....lesson learned.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@nyc1   My mater bedroom closet system includes shelves for handbags and also for shoes.  I love it.  The only problem is that I have too many shoes and handbags and have to store some of them in other closets and in zippered shoes storage containers under two beds.

They're worth every penny and keep things organized.  I just wish every closet of mine was done.

@Carmie   Exactly.....   all the shelves in my master have shoes, tee shirts, sweatshirts and a few sweaters.   All my handbags are in two other closets on shelves there.  Agree.  Worth every penny.  

Honored Contributor

Although I have finally have a closet large enough that I don't have to do the switch, it's way too ealy here.  I didn't used to switch the closet over until around May.  Late April at the earliest.

We have had snow storms in April here in CT.

Honored Contributor

I started washing the heavy winter things a week or so ago, I know I won't be wearing them again.  As I wear winter items, I put the in the laundry to wash.

I fold everything and stack in the spare room closet until it's time to pull out the storage bags of spring/summer things.

It has been cool here, it's only March so I don't expect to need any clothes for warm weather for a few months, but I cannot wait for warm weather.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

No more switching out closets for me. I've pared down my wardrobe so everything I own for all 4 seasons is in one small closet and 2 dressers. My outerwear coats are in our hallway coat closet. 

@wilma  - My walk in closet is not small, but not gigantic either.  Big enough to fit all 4 seasons like you. I also have outwear coats in a coat closet.