Respected Contributor

Selling not consigning luxury items?

I noticed that Dillards is selling pre-owned LV and other luxury handbags (Rolex too). Got me thinking that must be a good company that one could contact regarding the sell of gently used luxury brand items. There is always Ebay. 

BTW, the LV bags are about 10% off retail which is just not much. It seems that these are the more current styles. I have seen many that hve the color accents/trim. The very vintage are pretty low priced. I have some 20+ yr old LV bags and they do develop itty bitty cracks in the body. 

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences selling your gently used designer-luxury items. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Selling not consigning luxury items?

I've sold a few things on The Real Real.  They only sell high-end brands.

I was very pleased with the process.

Valued Contributor

You will get more for your items if you consign, as opposed to selling outright.  I don't like consigning so just take a loss to sell.  I've sold preowned Louis Vuitton to Yoogis Closet and Fashionphile.  Also, I received offers but never used Couture USA.

I generally take pics and submit to all and wait for the highest offer.  I have bought from the Real Real, usually only clothing because they are known for not accurately describing their preowned bags correctly.  I have also sold on ebay and tradesy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddiwrote:

I noticed that Dillards is selling pre-owned LV and other luxury handbags (Rolex too). Got me thinking that must be a good company that one could contact regarding the sell of gently used luxury brand items. There is always Ebay. 

BTW, the LV bags are about 10% off retail which is just not much. It seems that these are the more current styles. I have seen many that hve the color accents/trim. The very vintage are pretty low priced. I have some 20+ yr old LV bags and they do develop itty bitty cracks in the body. 

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences selling your gently used designer-luxury items. 

@granddi  Dillard's takes your "gently used" designer handbags as downpayment on an upgrade handbag.  Smart company.  Then they turn around and sell your "gently used" handbags as vintage items.  Those that do not sell, they donate to charity.  Hey, hey, hey, hey.  Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@granddiwrote:

@granddi  Dillard's takes your "gently used" designer handbags as downpayment on an upgrade handbag.  Smart company.  Then they turn around and sell your "gently used" handbags as vintage items.  Those that do not sell, they donate to charity.  Hey, hey, hey, hey.  Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Are you talking about their "trade in" promo where they give you $50 off a $200 bag with a trade?   I don't think I'd trade in a $2000 LV for $50.  

Trusted Contributor

@granddiwrote:

I have sold several LV and Gucci pieces to Fashionphile.   It was easy and IMO they paid top dollar for my old stuff.   I wasn't interested in consigning though they offer that method. 

Honored Contributor

@SarahWwrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@granddiwrote:

Are you talking about their "trade in" promo where they give you $50 off a $200 bag with a trade?   I don't think I'd trade in a $2000 LV for $50.  

@SarahW  Note, above.  I said "smart store."  If people will turn them in.  I think it's 25% off a handbag.  IOW, you could get a $2000 handbag with $500 or something like that.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions for straight out selling luxury hand bags. 

The Dillards reference was not intended to suggest that anyone would trade a LV bag for the Dillards trade in handbag deal. I just wandered about their source for offering used LV handbags. I'll bet the LV company is not happy about their bags being in Dillards. 

Years ago I was visiting with a handbag guy in Neiman Marcus who said the LV counterfeits are so good because the bad guys have some stolen plates. Guess that is no surprise. 

Honored Contributor

@SarahWwrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@granddiwrote:

@SarahW. Nope. I’ll keep my $2500 LV bags instead of taking $50, too. There are online companies that will clean LV bags...leather re-conditioned...can’t do a thing about cracks in the canvas areas, but after 30 yrs. of wear for most of mine...it’s OK for them to be donated and take a nice deduction. My newer ones are in fine shape.