Honored Contributor

Re: Second hand

[ Edited ]

I started shopping at consignment stores for clothing several years ago. I used to "look down" on the idea and didn't want someone else's castoffs.

I walked into a local consignment store one day with items to sell. As I was waiting for her to make me an offer, I walked around and ended up buying a couple of nice items at great prices. Ever since then I have continued to check out that store from time to time. I have purchased several things there over the years. 

I haven't bought any used clothing at a Goodwill or other thrift store yet. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a high end thrift shop near me that I used to check once in a while.  I found a few cashmere sweaters and an Eileen Fisher skirt there to name a few,  Once they opened again when stores could reopen, I hesitated at the thought of buying used items.  That's just me becaue items can be washed or dry clearned, but I was no longer comfortable buying used clothes.  Guess I was not alone becaue they permanently closed a few weeks after reopening.

Respected Contributor

When I needed clothes for a new job I visited the shops and found some great pieces to help fill in and brand new with tags still on.

I purchased clothes for the grandkids and clothes hardly used because kids grow so fast.

My grand daughter loves the 2nd hand shops for toys and miniature items and things...she has fun doing that.

I found some good albums and CDs to listen to very cheap.

I have donated a lot of nice clothing to the Goodwill and other places over the years .

If a loved one is in a nursing home 2nd hand is the way to go because at times some of those pieces get lost in the wash.  My aunts were in a nursing home and I would shop for them and they really enjoyed that.

I on!y go once in awhile now.  Sometimes I don't want to dig through other peoples stuff.  I will absolutely not wear someone else's shoes.  That gives me the creeps.  I like new clothes so I don't look for those.  But if you plan on some painting buy some old t shirts and pants.

Great place for Halloween costumes to create.

Esteemed Contributor

DH loves Pendleton wool shirts and over the years I bought him 3.  For some reason, I started looking for them on EBay and last year I bought him 5 there ( he loves them all); they usually cost 25-30% of retail.  He wears them 3 seasons of the year where we live ( usually open over a coordinating tee).

Esteemed Contributor
In my younger days I shopped second hand stores and garage sales for myself and my son. Got some great buys!
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I see people at Goodwill with full shopping carts. I think a lot of stuff is resold on E-Bay.