Respected Contributor

I live in the northeast and finally it is warming up!  Do you store your winter clothes and summer clothes in the off season?  I used to keep mine in storage bins but then that got to be lots of washing and ironing...but it leaves much more closet space!  Just wondered what many of you do...

Honored Contributor

Re: Seasonal clothing storage

Fortunatley my closet is large enough (barely) for all of my clothes.  However I have a small separate closet for shoes & handbags and I switch them out seasonally.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Fortunatley my closet is large enough (barely) for all of my clothes.  However I have a small separate closet for shoes & handbags and I switch them out seasonally.

@haddon9   Same here except I finally sold/donated enough shoes/bags that off-season ones can be stored in bins on upper shelves of the same closet. 

Honored Contributor

I have a fairly large about 2' x 2' x 5' plastic zipper bag that has 6 hooks on the top.  Easily holds all of my off season clothes.  I also have a couple of plastic boxes that I put some of my tops and pjs in.  Works for me!

Honored Contributor

Bins stored in the closet.

I recently took out the warm weather stuff and washing drying, ironing and handing/folding. Three loads of laundry done, two more to go.

I don’t mind the effort gives me the opportunity to evaluate each piece re keep/donate/toss.
Respected Contributor

My first rule is to go through and donate all the clothes I didn't wear.  (Why continue to move and store anything but your best stuff.)  Now you know how much storage you need.  I use the "air storage bags." 

I now buy only year-round clothes; I am trying to totally eliminate the storage issue.  Cold, layer up; hot, go for the cotton/silk.  Keep it simple. Casmere sweaters good for summer and winter.

Never any dry-clean only. I live in a really old house with tiny closets.  

Honored Contributor

Before I pared down my wardrobe I used those portable assemble yourself closets. They have metal rods and fabric or plastic zippered covers. I kept mine in the basement. They were great for hanging blouses, skirts, trousers, dresses, blazers, etc. I used bins for tees and sweaters that could be folded. 

Esteemed Contributor

I switch out clothes first weekend in May and mid October. 2/3 of  my wardrobe is 4 seasons. I pack off-season clothes in special, zipped containers in my walk-in closet. Clothes, shoes and handbags are organized twice a year this way. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, never really have done that.  I am lucky I have a good size walk in closet and another closet my hubby built me in the basement.  One wall is just shoe racks!!!  I have two long hanging rods and the rest is shelving, granted I do share space down there for extra pillows, spreads and blankets.   Thankfully I have just enough room and that's what I mean when I say I don't need another piece of clothing, ever!

Respected Contributor

I have a good amount of closet space but an obscene amount of clothing and shoes so a season swap is necessary twice a year.  In my hallway closet, which is not a walk in, the ceiling is incredibly high.  So I put all the out of season stuff in nice stuctured thick plastic zipper pouches and stack them on the top shelf.  It's quite a task involving standing on a ladder and I do not enjoy it one bit and always end up with a stiff neck, arms and shoulders.  May has been cool this year in NY so I'm leaving the final swap till Memorial day weekend so I'll have three days to conquer it.  Right now there is a HUGE pile of very heavy winter stuff I pulled out of rotation and stacked on a luggage rack in the corner of my bedroom.  It goes against everything I believe in and it's been there for weeks.  I thought warmer weather was right around the corner and it would get put away sooner but it's taking on dust at this point.  Shoes get stored in plastic bins from the Container Store in every nook and cranny around the house including under the bed.  There is a method to my madness!  Marie Kondo would not approve of my lifestyle.