Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sears To Close 150 Stores

This is a good article on why b/m stores are struggling;

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/department-stores-are-paying-price-underestimating-amazon-n...

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

When l re-did my kitchen in the '90s, Sears was the place to go for appliances. I bought all of my kitchen appliances there, and also a washer/dryer during that era. Most are Kenmore brand. I still have every one of those items-- all have been workhorses. 

My husband and I still bought our appliances from Sears fairly recently.  Our fridge is a Kenmore Elite and we bought it from Sears about 6 years ago.  Our Samsung washer and dryer set came from them about 3 years ago.  We looked everywhere and Sears still had the best deal.  OUr garage door opener and my SIL's opener were also recently purchased from Sears. 

Our Super K-Mart closed in the fall.  Now sadly the building just sits there empty.  There have been a ton of rumors about what is going in there but so far, nothing concrete has been announced.

I just looked at the list of closings and I'm beyond shocked that the Sears nearest to me isn't on the list.   

Esteemed Contributor

Well, it looks like Sears is a sinking ship. Mismanaged seems to be the operative word.

From the Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

Inside Sears' death spiral: How an iconic American brand has been driven to the edge of bankruptcy

Honored Contributor

@TY: Revealing article-- thanks for posting.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Sears To Close 150 Srores

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@hoosieroriginal Ma'am, we have a KMart in our small town and many people rely on it. The shelves do stay stocked but I do agree there are many times when there aren't enough checkers. More than three running the store, though. We count on the pharmacy and think highly of our pharmacist who knows our names and is very willing to do whatever it takes to help us. I see the writing on the wall and hate to think of it closing. 

I also am sad to think of so many losing their jobs. 

@DukeBlueNan - Our Kmart closed because nobody went there for all the reasons I stated.  You couldn't get someone to help you for your life.  It is sad to see people losing jobs - I just wish they would have stayed up with the times.  And I agree, there are areas where people depend on these stores - but I think it is Sears' failing to keep up with the times that has closed all of these stores we all used to depend on. 

@hoosieroriginal, you hit the nail on the head about Sears not keeping up with the times.  They did it to themselves.