Honored Contributor

Sears To Close 150 Stores

[ Edited ]

One day after Macy's disclosed that it's closing 68 stores, Sears announced that it will be closing 150 of their stores. Another American icon is in jeopardy of fading into the sunset. This is no surprise, as it has been losing business for years to big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot, and of course the internet.

Here's the link to the article:

http://usat.ly/2j8ftvY

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Sears To Close 150 Srores

Sears and Kmarts have been closing for years -no big news.  Sears is an old relic that was for people in the 1960s - didn't carry products interesting to people anymore.  Kmart just had old stores that no one wanted to go into - shelves weren't stocked, maybe three people running the whole store. 

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

One day after Macy's disclosed that it's closing 68 stores, Sears announced that it will be closing 150 of their stores. Another American icon is in jeopardy of fading into the sunset. This is no surprise, as it has been losing business for years to big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot, and of course the internet.

Here's the link to the article:

http://usat.ly/2j8ftvY

It is not anything that was not seen coming down the pike.... time to move on. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sears To Close 150 Stores

When l re-did my kitchen in the '90s, Sears was the place to go for appliances. I bought all of my kitchen appliances there, and also a washer/dryer during that era. Most are Kenmore brand. I still have every one of those items-- all have been workhorses. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I recently read that Sears sold their Craftsman tool brand to Stanley, Black & Decker.  Sears used to be the place to go to buy tools too. The article also said they are looking for a buyer for their Kenmore brand.  I bought a new Kenmore dishwasher there about 6 months ago. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal Ma'am, we have a KMart in our small town and many people rely on it. The shelves do stay stocked but I do agree there are many times when there aren't enough checkers. More than three running the store, though. We count on the pharmacy and think highly of our pharmacist who knows our names and is very willing to do whatever it takes to help us. I see the writing on the wall and hate to think of it closing. 

I also am sad to think of so many losing their jobs. 

Respected Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@hoosieroriginal Ma'am, we have a KMart in our small town and many people rely on it. The shelves do stay stocked but I do agree there are many times when there aren't enough checkers. More than three running the store, though. We count on the pharmacy and think highly of our pharmacist who knows our names and is very willing to do whatever it takes to help us. I see the writing on the wall and hate to think of it closing. 

I also am sad to think of so many losing their jobs. 

@DukeBlueNan - Our Kmart closed because nobody went there for all the reasons I stated.  You couldn't get someone to help you for your life.  It is sad to see people losing jobs - I just wish they would have stayed up with the times.  And I agree, there are areas where people depend on these stores - but I think it is Sears' failing to keep up with the times that has closed all of these stores we all used to depend on. 

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan Yes!  I agree that all of us who live in larger cities (or near them) with lots of choices often forget there are many (thank goodness) small towns across this country where the big glamour stores don't find it 'cost effective' to go, rely on stores like Sears and Kmart.  They employ the people who live in these small towns .  Many people stay in these towns for various reasons, (i.e. stay near extended family, etc., or just like the feel of a small town).  That's why I like it where I live.  I live right next to DC and other better known cities.  However, it still has a 'country feeling' and that's why people move out here.

I always think of how hard it is going to be for those people (whomever and wherever they are) to find another job unless they move (which many often have to; in order to survive.  It's a ripple effect.  Those small towns are (excuse the cliche) "part of the fabric of America" (but I mean every word of it).

Honored Contributor

Today I will buy a new filter for my Kenmore refrig!

I do hope someone buys the Kenmore brand -  all 3 of my kitchen appliances are Kenmore.  They are one of a tiny, tiny number companies that sells decent smaller, more "vanila" machines for those of us who want or need them. 

Just had this discussion with my next-door neighbor regarding her purchase this week  of a Kenmore dryer.  It was the only dryer that fit unless she also did cabinet and/or door reconstruction.

Honored Contributor

Kmart and Sears have been sad places for many years.  By selling Craftsman and closing stores, they're just buying time.  The Sears near me is actually pretty nice; I visited before Christmas for the first time in years.  The problem is that it was deserted - workers seemed to out-number shoppers.  On the other hand, the Kmart near me is straight out of the 1980's.  I don't visit often but it's also deserted and workers seem to gather around customer service to chat and if I have a question, I feel like apologizing for the interruption.